new owner...

tom3

Hello!

I'm a giddy new owner of a 2001 V11 Sport. I bought it from the original owner who's also registered on this site (robbiekb).

First, a little self introduction... I've been riding for almost 6 years, first briefly on a 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer, then on a 2002 Honda 919 Hornet. After my newbie crash on the 919, I got a 2001 Triumph Speed Four, which was accompanied for a short while by a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I've since sold the Vulcan, and kept the Speed Four.

I first learned about Moto Guzzi a couple of years ago, when I saw one parked somewhere. After some research, I stumbed on the V11 Sport, the most beautiful bike I had laid my eyes on. One thing led to another, and today I found myself to be a lucky owner of a 2001 green V11. Here are my two bikes side by side:

twoBikes.JPG

The unfortunate reality for me is that I'm going to have to choose one from the two to keep, and sell the other one by the end of this year. I just began riding the V11, and it is such a different experience from riding the Speed Four.. It's too early for me to tell which I would choose since I can only have one.

Anyway, I thought I'd post here and say hi! :)

I hope you don't expect an unbiased opinon here on your decision making.

Wait,on second thought, give me the V11 and I promise you liberal visitation rights.

I hope you don't expect an unbiased opinon here on your decision making.

Wait,on second thought, give me the V11 and I promise you liberal visitation rights.

Hi there, of course we're not biased, are we? :D

Seriously, here's a few things that come to mind:

1. ride the V11 for a while and make sure it's set up right

2. Speed Triples are more common than V11, Triumphs are more common than Guzzis

3. Count your blessings: you're in Guzzi heaven (Moto International is the obvious reason).

Welcome and enjoy.

Hello!

I'm a giddy new owner of a 2001 V11 Sport. I bought it from the original owner who's also registered on this site (robbiekb).

So the little thief managed to unload it. Thats a shame. Nothing to do with you, I hope you enjoy the machine.

Pete

Grats mate on your new purchase. Im also new to the V11 after having ridden a massive assortment of bikes *and 1 almost a bike* and I have to say its been the biggest surprise I have ever encountered on 2 wheels.

Take your time and get use to it, dont try and force her to ride how you want to ride. Instead learn what she has to offer and then be amazed! Its not a lazy mans ride *took me by surprise when I first got on top* but

the input on your part reminds you that theres a relationship between man and machine worth preserving.

mmm maybe this reply belongs in a penthouse forum instead :)

PS* do all Vtwins give this sorta fun? All my V11 has had done is the MG titanium pipes & chip, but it feels like a powerhouse.

I am also a new V11 owner and just about completed my first 100 miles. I can safely say it's true love. My bike history is: RD125lc (as a young kiddie), Kwak GPz500s, SV650, VFR750, ZX9-r, FJR1300, Monster s4r, Fireblade 954rr3, BMWr1150gs (oh dear) and finally the V11.

The VFR was great. The Fireblade was brilliant, but the V11 is completely excellent and one that I intend to keep for much much longer than my usual year (or few weeks in one case!).

Last night when I got home from work, I even rolled it out of the garage just so I could look at it from the kitchen window as I had a cup of coffee.

Welcome Tom, enjoy the bike. I'd offer an opinion on which one to keep but it might be a little predictable :P

I imagine that once the V Twin bug has sunk it's fangs into you the choice will become clear.

I was supposed to sell my guzzi when I got the Aprilia RSVR but I just couldn't, not even from a market perspective, its just so beautiful and classically modern I love it, comfy and reliable too. Thats a SPEED FOUR he has there which is probably the rarest of the Triumphs as I've never seen one in person they're not as popular as its bigger brother but the Guzzi will be more of a conversation piece and classic you can ride for a very long time, hell mine is a 2000 and no one can or would guess that outside a Guzzista.

Thanks for the welcome! The weather has been nice these few days (it's been unseasonably cold here in Seattle), and I've had a couple more short rides on the V11. My initial impression, as compared to the Speed Four, is that the V11 is more "rough", whereas the S4 is more "refined". This is in the way of vibration, rattling noises, and gear shift. Contrasting the two, the S4 feels more like a precise and modern machine; and the V11 feels strangely like a raw living animal. Maybe this is the "soul" you guys speak of? :D

Thus far the S4 is still easier for me to ride, and easier for me to handle, probably because I'm so used to it. Both bikes are enormously fun, in different ways. There's no way for me to say which is "better".

I do wish (hope!) that I can keep both.. we'll have to see how good my domestic diplomacy skills are.. hehe

Oh and for full disclosure, the V11 has quite a few mods on it, including Stucchi crossover, Mistral Ti Oval, FBF high compression pistons, Power Commander, Velocity stacks with Unifilter.. The S4 is bone stock.

Sounds about right with regards to vibration and rattly noises.

Keep the RPM's up above 4K. Even with a Stucchi Xover, my bike has a nasty spot around 3.5K. Avoid it.

The 'soul' folks talk about is a combination of things. I think the vibration, noise and whatnot are part of it.

So I've been riding the V11 on and off, putting about 150 miles on it. It's been really great! Several times I rode it back to back with the Speedfour, and it's hard to tell while riding that the Guzzi is almost 100lb heavier (according to specs). The V11 handles really well.

The last time I rode, I rode the V11 for 45 minutes or so, then hopped on the Speedfour immediately after. It actually took me about 10 minutes to adjust to the way the Triumph rides. haha...

One thing I do hope to change about the V11 is how buzzy the handlebars are. The previous owner mentioned that adding heavier bar-end weights would help. Another thing I'm still getting used to is that the throttle on-off feels very abrupt. It takes a lot more care in the right wrist, as well as some clutch play to keep things smooth for me. Am i doing something wrong?

I keep wondering about the steering damper too. I wanted to know if it was active, and see if I could change the setting. Without a manual, I didn't want to mess things up (as the bike feels fine now). Can anyone enlighten me as to how to adjust the steering damper?

Thanks!

So I've been riding the V11 on and off, putting about 150 miles on it. It's been really great! Several times I rode it back to back with the Speedfour, and it's hard to tell while riding that the Guzzi is almost 100lb heavier (according to specs). The V11 handles really well.

The last time I rode, I rode the V11 for 45 minutes or so, then hopped on the Speedfour immediately after. It actually took me about 10 minutes to adjust to the way the Triumph rides. haha...

One thing I do hope to change about the V11 is how buzzy the handlebars are. The previous owner mentioned that adding heavier bar-end weights would help. Another thing I'm still getting used to is that the throttle on-off feels very abrupt. It takes a lot more care in the right wrist, as well as some clutch play to keep things smooth for me. Am i doing something wrong?

Sounds pretty normal. You can put weights in the bars (bar ends) and ride it at 4K+rpms and that helps. The 'on-off' feeling is one that I don't care for. It is a result of having a driveshaft and all the play associated with it. Sorry- not much you can do. Learn to be smooth. Consider it a challenge.

I keep wondering about the steering damper too. I wanted to know if it was active, and see if I could change the setting. Without a manual, I didn't want to mess things up (as the bike feels fine now). Can anyone enlighten me as to how to adjust the steering damper?

Thanks!

If you can leave the damper dialed all the way off, then do so. It makes the bike feel more 'dead' if you have to dial in the steering damper (in my opinion).

If you want to know if the damper is working, you will need to take it off the bike, dial it in some and push it back and forth. If it damps-, it is ok. If not, buy a cheap replacement.

Hi Tom,

Congrats on a great looking ride and welcome to the fun house.

Above 5k revs and mine gets nice and smooth below that and it's anything from a slight vibration to a full on buzz through the bars.

I have the raised bars on my bike so not sure how clip ons feel.

Looking at your pic though the Guzzi bar ends look much smaller than the ones i've got fitted. Your Triumphs look a bit bigger, try seeing if they fit.

As for the steering damper, I tried various settings but in the end found that I liked it best when it is fully wound out and not having any effect.

The V11 is a great bike to ride and not that common so people will ask you about it, i've even had people say 'Moto Guzzi' what's one of them then<_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:">

[Another thing I'm still getting used to is that the throttle on-off feels very abrupt. It takes a lot more care in the right wrist, as well as some clutch play to keep things smooth for me. Am i doing something wrong?

Hopefully you will get use to this. I have had my V11 for nearly two years and this was the single biggest change for me after only riding a chain drive bike in the past. Took a while but you should develop smooth wrist action and will be non issue in a short while.

Nice bike and welcome!!

Bob

For the bars Moto Int'l in Sea. has some aftermarket bar end weights. They work well on my bike, you may want to check if they fit your bike too. Some folks have also used Barsnake to tame the bar vibes. You ll become smoother w the throttle, I too felt the first time I rode the bike that it was more abrupt than my other bike with a chain, though this would prove not to be the case.