New Scura owner :) need a better exhaust

scura_73

Just curious, have either of you folks heard the QuatD, in person, to compare your FBF's to?? I'd also like to have the "Mer kin hot rods" sound with my V11 Lemans. I've heard the video clips of the QuatD's which sound quite bitchin' but haven't heard any video clips of the FBF's........I'll have to go do some searching I guess. Since the QuatD or FBF would have to be imported in where is the best place/price to obtain either system in the USA!???

I am heavily biased towards the Quat D for the same reason the OP mentioned; sound, center mass location and looks!!

I've owned both. I liked the FBF sound better (twin motocylce vs muscle car) , but preferred the looks, weight savings and centralization of the Quat-D. Unfortunately neither system provided enough ground clearance, and I recently sold the FBF cans. Debating whether the Quat-D should go next....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to have another set fabricated by them out of Aluminum down the road. I hear that CF breaks down with UV light.

Technically, no. The carbon fibers are very stable [a property indirectly related to their physical strength.] However, the epoxy resin that binds the carbon fibers into something useful is sensitive to UV & heat. Different epoxies have different traits, but it's safe to say that clear epoxy [like that used on most CF products to allow the color & pattern of the fiber to be visible] has less UV stability/resistance than a resin w/ a white gel coat [given to it by suspending Ti02 particles in it, being a sovereign UV-blocker] covering the structural component.

Heat from the exhaust is an inescapable fact of life for exhaust cans but the resin isn't significantly affected if the temps are below a certain threshold; the real killer is UV exposure, esp. for a vehicle habitually parked outside in the sun.

I just recently discovered that the CF slip on does not get very hot at all. I can put my bare hand on them immediately following a ride. And I use a liquid wax that contains UV blocker. My bike sits all day in the parking lot at work, but is stored in the garage. I think they are holding up fine, so far... :whistle:

I just recently discovered that the CF slip on does not get very hot at all. I can put my bare hand on them immediately following a ride. And I use a liquid wax that contains UV blocker. My bike sits all day in the parking lot at work, but is stored in the garage. I think they are holding up fine, so far... :whistle:

That's a good idea to wax them with a UV blocker. I'll start doing that. Thanks!

[quote name='savagehenry' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:47 AM' post='162424'

And Greg 's bike has square wheels and a duct tape encrusted head temp sensor, so his opinion is circumspect at best! :lol:

ANd despite all that it never exhibits the problem that Ratch fixed but never had. Go figure.

Just curious, have either of you folks heard the QuatD, in person, to compare your FBF's to?? I'd also like to have the "Mer kin hot rods" sound with my V11 Lemans. I've heard the video clips of the QuatD's which sound quite bitchin' but haven't heard any video clips of the FBF's........I'll have to go do some searching I guess. Since the QuatD or FBF would have to be imported in where is the best place/price to obtain either system in the USA!???

I am heavily biased towards the Quat D for the same reason the OP mentioned; sound, center mass location and looks!!

I have heard both. And while I do agree that I have not heard a bad sounding Guzzi, the FBF's only sound like a Murikan muscle car until you hear the Quat D's. The FBF's have a softer, deeper sound compared to the Quat D, which has a harder, raspier sound. It is like the difference between a racebike (Quat D) and a race-replica (FBF or most of the other two into two's). The only thing that sounds more agressive on a Guzzi is a two into one system. Haven't seen one for the V11, though.

Greg, if you aren't certified to identify "irritations", how do you expect to "fix" them. Clearly if a some Guzzi's have a problem with ETS mass, then they all must and some of us are just not capable of identifying that our Guzzi's have this "irratation".

I have heard both. And while I do agree that I have not heard a bad sounding Guzzi, the FBF's only sound like a Murikan muscle car until you hear the Quat D's. The FBF's have a softer, deeper sound compared to the Quat D, which has a harder, raspier sound. It is like the difference between a racebike (Quat D) and a race-replica (FBF or most of the other two into two's). The only thing that sounds more agressive on a Guzzi is a two into one system. Haven't seen one for the V11, though.

Thanks for sharing your interpretation of hearing both types of exhaust. I've been under the impression that the Quat D was a 2 into 1 system?? I'm wondering why a 2 into 1 system sounds more 'Mur i kan' in tone than a 2 into 2 system on the Guzzi??

It sounds like hot-rod because it's extremely loud. It's just a single resonance chamber fed by two pipes.

The one I heard was not much, if any, louder then the others. I have not seen inside one but it is clearly different then a two into two setup.

Thanks for sharing your interpretation of hearing both types of exhaust. I've been under the impression that the Quat D was a 2 into 1 system?? I'm wondering why a 2 into 1 system sounds more 'Mur i kan' in tone than a 2 into 2 system on the Guzzi??

The Quat D is not a two into one system. It does not have a collector to merge the pipes. It is a single muffler with two inputs.

As for why, I'm not sure. I would think it has to do with the acoustic effect of a collector. Real Murikin muscle has headers with collectors. But I could be wrong.

I am not trying to say one is better then the other. They are just two different types of sounds. Many people prefer the sound of a two into two system. It is a matter of personal taste.