New Scura owner :) need a better exhaust

scura_73

If you want a real muscle car sound from a V11 the only pipe I've heard that comes close is the Quat-D. None of the 2 into 2 slip-ons are capable of sounding that way due to the design. A few get close, but none are there.

This is what I had been told and read - I just need to find a place where I can order them from now :) UK based preferably

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a muffler question; but I am thinking of mounting a crossover - for my R1150R, the crossover took away dreaded surging, and produced a nice low rumble, not loud, but low rumble. Any Scura out there with a crossover for comparison?

The only "point" to any standard component on a motorcycle is that it performs a given function at a given economic cost. Cost of development, cost of manufacture, and cost expressed as a percentage of the total value of the machine.

I'd dare say the bean counters at Guzzi know full well that most customers will end up swapping out the exhaust anyway (as others here have said it is a very personal choice), so why spend any more than is minimally necessary in developing and manufacturing the component?

Your stock exhaust is built like a "tank" simply because it is cheaper, quicker, and requires less effort and accuracy to do so. It's obvious from the woeful noise and weight that all Guzzi is concerned about is that it meets EPA and DOT requirements. Like I said, given function, given economic cost. It does it's job, that's all that matters - to the lay person - but we're enthusiasts here, aren't we?!

I'm perplexed that you've suggested that part longevity is determined by the weight of the materials used. Lets look at mild steel vs titanium.

In strength of any type including tensile, and hardness, steel wins by a long shot, but in resistance to temperature (very high melt point gives titanium a high ceiling of 'temper'), tolerance of vibration, certain types of torsion stress, strength to weight, and corrosion resistance, titanium wins.

With regard to stainless steel, AISI Type 304 stainless steel to be exact, this type of steel provides for an exhaust that is stronger and more heat resistant than the stock one, while also being considerably lighter.

Simplistically, the gross mass of a component has nothing to do with how long it will last, other than the fact that added weight in any form ultimately results poorer fuel consumption, poorer performance, and greater stress on frame and suspension components.

Which email address are you using?

Back to front:

Whichever email address they list on their website for customer service. Maybe because I didn't get my cans direct thru them they don't want to deal with me? Whatever...

Regardless of your misunderstanding of my post, 14ga stainless weighs pretty much the same as 14ga stainless, barring exotic alloys: 308, 310, 316: it's all going to weigh roughly the same per sq. ft. in the same gauge. The reason Staintunes weigh so much less than the stock cans are twofold: they use lighter gauge materials in the construction, and they have less internal baffling. Less baffling means more noise [tho' in the Staintunes case, not so much less that they're untenably loud, thank goodness!] and less weight, lighter gauge materials, regardless of whether it's 304, 308 or 316, means lighter weight. All other things equal, more lightly built parts will fail in service before a part built more robustly.

Moto Guzzi, being the original motor vehicle manufacturer, has to meet requirements for their exhaust system by the governments of the countries in which they wish to sell said vehicles that no aftermarket supplier is compelled to do. Among these are requirements that the exhaust system not fail in service for 5 years from the date of sale. Guzzi, understandably averse to paying for warranty replacements for some vehicle left outside in a salty, wet environment for its entire lifespan, makes an exhaust system that is worthy of Timex... ;)

Apparently, you've got a hard-on for Staintune exhausts, & believe I've said (written) something derogatory concerning their products. Nothing could be further from the truth. I invite you to go back & reread my posts with a clear head & stop beating a dead horse. Failing that, I invite you to duel with me: you can bring your Staintune can & I will use one of the several stock Guzzi cans I have lying about, & you can flail away at me w/ your Staintune. I promise to in no way to seek to do you harm w/ my Guzzi can; I'll merely block your attacks. After your Staintune can is a beaten, wrinkled mess of crumpled stainless, I'll dig a grave for it, bury your Staintune [or any other aftermarket can you may so choose to use for your weapon], and pound the post for a nameplate over the grave w/ my dinged but otherwise pristine Guzzi can. Those things are anvils upon which your puny aftermarket can will be shattered! :oldgit:

:lol:

Apparently, you've got a hard-on for Staintune exhausts...

The same could be said for your opinion of the stock system. However, there is no need to be childish, so I'll disregard your last paragraph other than to say that, no, I don't believe you said something derogatory of the Staintune product (and it wouldn't matter if you did); I thought I was simply having a debate with you over the merits of aftermarket vs stock.

Staintune warrant the workmanship and construction of their product for an unlimited period, and it meets ADR requirements, so your argument in that regard is void.

If you want to keep it Italian, Agostini also meets Euro 3 homologation and as such are fitted with a catalyzer and "dB killer" both of which are removable for race track use. For the UK, Quill Exhausts are MOT approved and carry a lifetime warranty, so once again product legality and longevity is not the issue you make it to be.

Offering life time warranties, which I might point out MG does not, I'd dare say these manufacturers also are "averse to paying for warranty replacements for some vehicle left outside in a salty, wet environment for its entire lifespan, and [thus] make an exhaust system that is worthy of Timex...".

Finally, I thought the pre-Piaggio bikes had mild steel exhausts. My bad.

Hello.. I have just recently become the owner of a v11 sport scura (it was love at first sight lol) - I must say it is the best bike I have ever had.. just a really soulful riding experience..

The bike currently has the stock carbon exhausts, which are beautiful to look at - but I'm looking for that american muscle car sound..plus the bike feels like it needs a freeflowing exhaust.. I have heard the quat-d exhaust is the best for this? I am based in uk - does anyone know the best place to get these from? or maybe alternatives that i have not thought of..

Sorry, if this question has been asked before - but any slightly relevant posts seem to be very old.

thanks for any help :)

In absence of the original MG Ti cans, RossoPuro ( a valuable sponsor of this site) can fix you up with the Quat D's, the logical second choice to the MG Ti's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Did you ever get an exhaust for your Scura ??

Yes I did :) I got the quat d ex box from the uk distributors, Dynomax. Overall, I am very happy with the exhaust :) It's not as deep as some regular exhausts, but there is nothing else that i have heard that sounds like it. It is very well built and makes the bike look pretty unique too. A couple things I have noticed - there is a weird whistling noise at certain revs and sometimes it can sound a bit metallic (hard to describe).

Yes I did :) I got the quat d ex box from the uk distributors, Dynomax. Overall, I am very happy with the exhaust :) It's not as deep as some regular exhausts, but there is nothing else that i have heard that sounds like it. It is very well built and makes the bike look pretty unique too. A couple things I have noticed - there is a weird whistling noise at certain revs and sometimes it can sound a bit metallic (hard to describe).

Pics say a thousand words, I am told ... either start typing or post pics :)

Seriously, pics appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Another option that is exactly what you are looking for is the FBF CF Slip Ons (made by Giannelli) and Cross Over. I say this because one of my friends heard me coming before he saw my bike for the first time. He has over 30 years of experience with all kinds of "mur-kin hot rods" and said/still says I sound like a Chevy big block when I'm coming down the road. Also, I've had other riders, and non riders tell me how "beautiful your bike sounds". Hell, even the Harley guys admit it! It truly is yet another thing I like about the 90 degree trans mounted air cooled twin...the glorious sound...I'd explain it as "Roarty, mixed with Basso Profundo" :notworthy::mg::wub: ...and welcome to the "Darkness Bike Brotherhood" S.H.

+1

I have the FBF CF Slip Ons. They rock. Very deep throaty sound. A little loud, but I love it.

I would like to have another set fabricated by them out of Aluminum down the road. I hear that CF breaks down with UV light.

Other than that - nothing finer that I've heard so far.

Another option that is exactly what you are looking for is the FBF CF Slip Ons (made by Giannelli) and Cross Over. I say this because one of my friends heard me coming before he saw my bike for the first time. He has over 30 years of experience with all kinds of "mur-kin hot rods" and said/still says I sound like a Chevy big block when I'm coming down the road. Also, I've had other riders, and non riders tell me how "beautiful your bike sounds". Hell, even the Harley guys admit it! It truly is yet another thing I like about the 90 degree trans mounted air cooled twin...the glorious sound...I'd explain it as "Roarty, mixed with Basso Profundo" :notworthy::mg::wub: ...and welcome to the "Darkness Bike Brotherhood" S.H.

+1

I have the FBF CF Slip Ons. They rock. Very deep throaty sound. A little loud, but I love it.

I would like to have another set fabricated by them out of Aluminum down the road. I hear that CF breaks down with UV light.

Other than that - nothing finer that I've heard so far.

Just curious, have either of you folks heard the QuatD, in person, to compare your FBF's to?? I'd also like to have the "Mer kin hot rods" sound with my V11 Lemans. I've heard the video clips of the QuatD's which sound quite bitchin' but haven't heard any video clips of the FBF's........I'll have to go do some searching I guess. Since the QuatD or FBF would have to be imported in where is the best place/price to obtain either system in the USA!???

I am heavily biased towards the Quat D for the same reason the OP mentioned; sound, center mass location and looks!!

Just curious, have either of you folks heard the QuatD, in person, to compare your FBF's to?? I'd also like to have the "Mer kin hot rods" sound with my V11 Lemans. I've heard the video clips of the QuatD's which sound quite bitchin' but haven't heard any video clips of the FBF's........I'll have to go do some searching I guess. Since the QuatD or FBF would have to be imported in where is the best place/price to obtain either system in the USA!???

I am heavily biased towards the Quat D for the same reason the OP mentioned; sound, center mass location and looks!!

I've heard 'em all, on multiple bikes, as I work at the busiest Guzzi shop in the US. The best sound is from the Guzzi Ti system. A somewhat close second is the M4s. That is just my opinion, but it is not based on ignorance or a small sample.

Nope, never heard the D Quat system. I'm sure that all these different aftermarket systems sound good, each in their own way. They all are mounted to a motor that just happens to have alot in common with the V-8's we love in our hot rods. I just know I love the sound of my motor with the exhaust it has since I bought it 3 years ago. Though my experiences are limited, I've yet to hear a Guzzi that didn't sound good, mostly because they are air cooled, push rod V twins. And, more than any other bike I've owned, I get people who go out of their way to tell me they think my bike sounds "beautiful" or words to that effect.

Also, Fast by Ferracci is right here in the USA. No "Importing" required.

As far as the care of CF, I use a liquid wax on mine, and I think they are holding up pretty good. But I also don't sweat perfection in the looks department. It is a motorcycle after all, meant to be ridden. Tough to see how nice it looks when I cook right by you... :o

And Greg 's bike has square wheels and a duct tape encrusted head temp sensor, so his opinion is circumspect at best! :lol: