V11 Suspension.......

raceboy

Well said, Paul.

Some people don't understand that just because you are trying to improve the way your Guzzi works doesn't mean you are trying to turn it into a Jap bike. If I wanted a Jap bike I would have bought one. I paid extra to get a Guzzi. That does not mean Guzzi's are perfect as they roll out of the factory, far from it in fact. Guzzi spends less on their R & D dept. then Harley spends just listening to what its customers want. If you are happy with the way your Guzzi is stock, great, I'm happy for you. But there is more room for improvement in a Guzzi then there is in a typical Jap bike. For evidence I site the aforementioned bikes of Paul, Mille108, and others as well as my wifes. Her's started with 72 hp at the rear wheel. with less then $1500 worth of mods (PC, porting, pipe) it bumped up to 86 hp. That is almost a 20 % increase in power with an IMPROVEMENT in drivability. Just try getting a 20 % increase in power from a modern Jap sport bike and see how much it costs both in money and drivability. It also has a Penske skock and Marz. forks that I modded in my shed to actually give them compression dampening and the steering damper has been pitched. Again, a large improvement in performance for less then $1000 spent.

If you have more then two brain cells to rub together and have any experience with modern Jap bike you understand how hard it is to get the kind of improvements I got very easily with a Guzzi

Not everybody wants or needs to modify their Guzzi. But if you do want to improve the way your Guzzi works, then the potential is there. Just ignore those who say it can't be done because they know not of what they speak. There are enough people to have modded their Guzzis and been successful at it to show that the nay sayers are wrong.

P.S. The idea that Hack, who actually butchered his engine temp sensor and turned it into an air temp sensor in the name of "improving it's accuracy", has the nerve to tell someone else that modifying his Guzzi to make it into a better working bike is a wast of time is so laughable that I almost feel sorry for him. What a deluded little mind.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
You're right Paul, it is boring. Seems we have to keep it that way. As soon as things get lively the plug gets pulled.

Wot?? Is it already time once again to poke another knucklehead or 2 in the eye with a sharp stick by being a little err. . . provocative? Maybe throw out something compelling enough to get 'em to volunteer another reply with incredibly asinine stuff they can't back up -- get 'em to write great big stoopid checks with nothin' in the bank, so to speak? -- Well, with the proper sparks to set one off, I reckon we could get another full-blown Clusterfarge goin' in no time a-tall. . . :lol:

And ain't that wot open and honest discussion about anything hereabouts always boils down to in the end, anyway??

I figure it's more fun to flush 'em out into the open early and often. They're just ever so silly. . . :grin:

Guest ratchethack
P.S. The idea that Hack, who actually butchered his engine temp sensor and turned it into an air temp sensor in the name of "improving it's accuracy", has the nerve to tell someone else that modifying his Guzzi to make it into a better working bike is so laughable that I almost feel sorry for him. . .

Ah, here's Quasimodo again! My how little it takes. . . Why, I do b'lieve you've already got yourself worked up into your own little personal Clusterfarge of serious dimensions! Try to gain some self control and post a sentence that makes sense, shall we?

Back to a previous, entirely unrelated thread again, are we Quazimodo? Like a mangey cur returning to lap up its own puke. Must be your great oceanic reserve of stupidity was far from spent there after all, and now gushes forth anew, overflowing into new threads.

Keep 'em comin'. Why, you're simply spectacular. Wotta show! :notworthy:

-- And I mean that most sincerely! :rolleyes:

Ah, here's Quasimodo again! My how little it takes. . . Try to gain some self control and write a sentence that makes sense, shall we?

Back to a previous, entirely unrelated thread again, are we Quazimodo? Like a mangy cur returning to lap up its own puke. Must be your great oceanic reserve of stupidity was far from spent there after all, and now gushes forth anew, overflowing into new threads.

Keep 'em comin'. Why, you're simply spectacular. Wotta show! :notworthy:

-- And I mean that most sincerely! :rolleyes:

Lets see... You post an opinion about something you appear to know nothing about, I counter by pointing out that it is possible to achieve what you said can't be done. You then post that I don't know what I'm talking about since I did not include any direct examples and I counter with direct examples. You then ( no doudt in a whiney, high pitched, voice) post (insert fake air quotes here) well... well... well.... your typing is bad (un-air quote).

Well played Hack. I have no rebuttal to that. My typing does suck. You win.

You have out done yourself. If only it was relevent.

Every technical discussion on this board(i dont even dare to look in any other topics on this board) turns out into some everlasting blah blah...

Yes a guzzi is heavy, yes its slow, yes standard it handles like crap,no you cant turn it into a superbike,....but you can improve it alot,will set you back some $$ for sure but if u want..if you can..why not.

If i wanted to go from A to B cheap..i would have bought a Prius.

I wish everybody the best..im out of here.

Rats. All alone again! Where did everybody go?

Being non political on all this, and only commenting on my observatations, I stated money spent on learning to track ride is the best return on investment. Having seen Roger Garlick smoke jap rice rockets on a crappy tired quota at buttonwilliow, along with rich rodriguez passing gixxer's on a jackal or ev on the track, it was clear that the riders ability was far more relevant that the chassis condition and suspension perfection. I've seen these boys and others smoke faster, better handling sport bikes becuase they wisely invested in becoming better riders..... sort it out as it works best for you....

Being non political on all this, and only commenting on my observatations, I stated money spent on learning to track ride is the best return on investment. Having seen Roger Garlick smoke jap rice rockets on a crappy tired quota at buttonwilliow, along with rich rodriguez passing gixxer's on a jackal or ev on the track, it was clear that the riders ability was far more relevant that the chassis condition and suspension perfection. I've seen these boys and others smoke faster, better handling sport bikes becuase they wisely invested in becoming better riders..... sort it out as it works best for you....

That was not the question, the same as loosing 25% of your weight would help with most guzzi owners.

The quiestion was how the improve a bike.

I do understand you all. Well, actually I don't but I don't care.

There are all kinds of motorcyclists and all kinds of motorcycles. One more interesting than the other.

I love 'm all but I won't chat or start a discussion to the owner of an average, normal, right out of the shop motorcycle.

But when I see a racing Guzzi, my heart starts beating louder, eyes getting wider. And here I'm not talking about a shiny Rizoma mirror or other hanky panky shit.

It's a passion. A warm feeling inside,

when enthousiasts, here I'm not talking about 'motorcycle owners' but 'motorcycle enthousiasts', try to make a Guzzi work better, go faster.

It will never be the fastest and lightest. But you can go a long way and enjoy that bike for years and years, never getting tired of it.

If you ride a bike like that, you understand. If you don't, you will never understand how a Guzzi like that feels.

Well, all of that just to show my sympathy for the enthousiasm of the topic starter. Go for it.

Oh, I can give you some numbers of my bike;

1995 Moto Guzzi 2 valve - ±160 kg dryweight (51 front - 49 rear ratio) - ±94 rearwheel HP (1064cc)

Believe it, that rocks!

Would I ride a basic, original Guzzi again? I don't think so!

I do understand you all. Well, actually I don't but I don't care.

There are all kinds of motorcyclists and all kinds of motorcycles. One more interesting than the other.

I love 'm all but I won't chat or start a discussion to the owner of an average, normal, right out of the shop motorcycle.

But when I see a racing Guzzi, my heart starts beating louder, eyes getting wider. And here I'm not talking about a shiny Rizoma mirror or other hanky panky shit.

It's a passion. A warm feeling inside,

when enthousiasts, here I'm not talking about 'motorcycle owners' but 'motorcycle enthousiasts', try to make a Guzzi work better, go faster.

It will never be the fastest and lightest. But you can go a long way and enjoy that bike for years and years, never getting tired of it.

If you ride a bike like that, you understand. If you don't, you will never understand how a Guzzi like that feels.

Well, all of that just to show my sympathy for the enthousiasm of the topic starter. Go for it.

Oh, I can give you some numbers of my bike;

1995 Moto Guzzi 2 valve - ±160 kg dryweight (51 front - 49 rear ratio) - ±94 rearwheel HP (1064cc)

Believe it, that rocks!

Would I ride a basic, original Guzzi again? I don't think so!

Would you care to give more details on how you did it. It sounds like a very sweet Guzzi and some of us are actually interested in doing those types of things to our bikes as well. Always good to know what has worked for others.

Inquiring minds.... Forget I said that.

Every technical discussion on this board(i dont even dare to look in any other topics on this board) turns out into some everlasting blah blah......

...when enthousiasts, here I'm not talking about 'motorcycle owners' but 'motorcycle enthousiasts', try to make a Guzzi work better, go faster.

Well, all of that just to show my sympathy for the enthousiasm of the topic starter. Go for it....

Can moderator delete posts that have no relevance to topic & contain gratuitous personal insults? Or better, would posters responsible consider revisiting their posts & doing same, or at least editing? This is a technical forum, it is discouraging to those interested in pursuing same to have to wade through swathes of irrelevant opinion & bile to reach what technical discussion there is. People who have valuable experience & relevant contributions to make, will not bother & will walk, as has mille108. If you value the contribution this forum makes to Guzzi ownership & wish it to prosper, please consider this.

FWIW I agree with everything jcbooghs says above.

KB :sun:

Yikes!! What happened here?? I leave you guys alone in the sandbox for a day to ride and do take care of a few things and I come back to find almost WWIII going on.

No matter.

Some of you (Paul, Mille108 a few others) have some good technical information and that is what I'm looking for. judging by what some have written, I don't think they have read and / or understood my first 2 or 3 posts.

I'm new to Guzzi and this forum and have come here for information from fellow Guzzi riders with more history & experience riding a Guzzi and specifically a V11. I'd like to continue with the technical aspects of the V11.

Now lets get on with it & everyone play nice!!

Are the forks on a V11 longer than the current or typical fork length? I'm assuming that is another reason that some guys (Paul & mille108) had to alter the steering head angle?

V11 in a nutshell as I understand it;

- the basic frame is good,

- the engine could breathe a little better,

- the whole electronic package is barely acceptable,

- the swing arm & steering angle could use some help,

- the suspension components should be upgraded,

- and the overall bike needs to go on a diet.

Is that about it? I knew I picked myself a good platform to start with.

We'll leave the motor for another time.

Cheers,

Raceboy .....(maybe at 50 I should change it to Raceman)

Are the forks on a V11 longer than the current or typical fork length? I'm assuming that is another reason that some guys (Paul & mille108) had to alter the steering head angle?

V11 in a nutshell as I understand it;

- the basic frame is good,

- the engine could breathe a little better,

- the whole electronic package is barely acceptable,

- the swing arm & steering angle could use some help,

- the suspension components should be upgraded,

- and the overall bike needs to go on a diet.

Is that about it? I knew I picked myself a good platform to start with.

We'll leave the motor for another time.

Cheers,

Raceboy .....(maybe at 50 I should change it to Raceman)

The forks are not an unusual length. But the steering stem tube in the frame is sized for older forks and some newer forks with larger steering stems will not fit. More importantly, the early red frame V11s had a steeper head angle and a shorter wheelbase as a result. Some with later V11s may choose to alter their bike to be more like the early bikes, or take it even further. When you change your rake you must also consider the effect it will have on trail.

Yes, the frame is good(some including myself prefer the red frames). It has a good blend of ridgidity and light weight. Unfortunately the rest of the bike is heavy.

The engine is good but there is room for improvement, the electronics are good but have a few faults (micro relays tend to fail, etc.).

The swing arm could stand to be longer and the pivot does not line up well with the front U-joint. Longer swing-arms improve traction and rear suspension action as well as moving the weight balance forward.

If your bike has Ohlins a re-valve and springs is usually all you need. If you don't have Ohlins then replacing the shock and forks is your best bet but I only replaced the shock and settled for modifying the forks and it has worked OK for a lot less money.

The stock wheels are the best place to lose weight, but any weight you can lose is good, especially off the rear.