Jens (Guzzitech.dk) is saying goodbye....

jenslh

Jens, no affront against you personally implied here, not really. We have never met. The argumentation is lame, that's it.

Have fun with your new environment, thanks for the watch and all the best for you, too.

Hubert

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad to see you go, really enjoyed your contributions and passion for the Guzzi marque. I own a Guzzi and Beemers, and in many ways the marques are similar. The F800GS is an exciting bike and I can fully understand your choice.

Don't be a stranger, and please ride safe, ya? Do send pics of the new bike; I am sure that you will experience a new and different level of fun. Do contact me if you need support with BMW stuff, I have some contacts built up over my ownership of them.

I think as time goes on we may see quite a few leaving the Guzzi fold- some fans of the marque who want to try something new and just can't find anything that appeals to them in the range of new models.

There will also be many who will be quite happy sticking to the Guzzis they have owned for years.

What I can't see happening at the moment is lots of fresh blood joining, with sales of new bikes struggling.

Good luck with the new bike Jens- maybe you will miss your Guzzis and buy another one day.

Guy :helmet:

Thanks and thoughts to all of you - I really apreciate all your greetings.

One line did strike me though: "Once a Guzzitisti....always a Guzzitisti!" Thats probably true, at least for me :)

As long as I live I will probably:

- Turn my head every time I see a Moto Guzzi

- Study the new models every year

- Read Guzzi related news

- Have a look at the Moto Guzzi forums from time to time

- Know somebody that owns a Moto Guzzi

- Remember how proud I was about my Moto Guzzi, and how much fun I had.

And some day, if Moto Guzzi or I should decide to turn into a different course, we might even team up again ???

I think as time goes on we may see quite a few leaving the Guzzi fold- some fans of the marque who want to try something new and just can't find anything that appeals to them in the range of new models.

There will also be many who will be quite happy sticking to the Guzzis they have owned for years.

What I can't see happening at the moment is lots of fresh blood joining, with sales of new bikes struggling.

This seems to be the situation that MG is facing.

It was interesting to also see Joe M's comment on the S.G. site. As someone else who has personally invested in promoting the marque and galvanising the enthusiasm of owners, he says that he will never buy a new Moto Guzzi. He adds, "It strikes me that at a time when Guzzi is in danger of disappearing for good, after 80-odd years, they have still not grasped the basic fact that you need two things for a succesful business... [a] you need to find new customers and you need to keep existing customers happy.

One doesn't work without the other..."

In my small experience, Guzzi isn't doing either of things. Due to the past year's experience, still ongoing, I've previously said that I would never buy another new Guzzi while things are like this. It's diabolical in this day and age when a customer pays a premium price for a premium product and then there is nothing but continuing absence of customer service. So it's not just the models that Guzzi are (not) putting out: in the UK anyway, the other fundamental that they aren't providing is the necessary dealer/importer care and back-up service.

I might conceivably buy another old model. I won't buy another new one from Guzzi.

"Once a Guzzisti – always an old-time Guzzisti"???

And that is really sad but I recognise the sentiment oh-so-well.

They need a 'Sporty' styled model to attract those who want one but most importantly they need to stop buying componentry from shitty suppliers and provide the service back-up that is needed.

As I have often before said though one of the problems is finding people who have the skills and understanding to perform anything other than oil, filter and tyre changes. Being able to do those three things seems to qualify you as a 'Technician' nowadays in most bike shops......

The sad thing is that the new 8V motor is a lovely thing when set up right and mine has been dead reliable and needed only basic maintenance to keep it sweet. It's still a ditchpump, not a Desmodecci, it shouldn't be too hard to build or fix???

Pete

You did meet a Dane? Wow! I know them only from the telly. They have red painted faces, jump up and down and are mostly drunk. The red color is a good thing, so you can better recognise them from the Brits which are painted differently.

Hubert

You did meet a Dane? Wow! I know them only from the telly. They have red painted faces, jump up and down and are mostly drunk. The red color is a good thing, so you can better recognise them from the Brits which are painted differently.

Hubert

Yeah, we like to drink... :bier:

well , everyone makes his own discicions. Six years ago I was up to something new. There wasn't a bike I really wanted so decided to build my own dreambike. I put the money in changing the Daytona. Now thats the way I like it. Lighther, much better handling. And then I found that I wanted another sort of bike, where I could travel with my wife with more comfort. So I bought a Stelvio. In september we will see if it is what it was bought for, then we will be making a trip to Italy.

I'm currious if such a bmw will be fun in the long term ownership. It certenly looks clever, well made and also a bit boring.

I'm currious if such a bmw will be fun in the long term ownership. It certenly looks clever, well made and also a bit boring.

I've had my RT since '04. Your comment on boring is pretty much right on. The bike functions very well. Handles better than a big bike should, has good weather protection and is quite comfortable. Hard to feel passionate about it like the MG though.

In February I rented an '07 R1200GS and put 1200 miles on it doing Baja. Excellent handling on the road and off for such a big bike. Much livelier motor than the earlier 1150. If & when I change my RT I'll probably go to a GS. Still somewhat uninspired but just plain works very well.