OOOPPPPSS!

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

In the course of painting a couple bits I also hit my alternator cover with some heat resistant paint, but I also later covered it (without thinking) with a few coats of polyurethane oil based clear coat. Now, the poly is highly flammable in spray form, but what happens when it dries and hardens? I will ask the paint guy today, but they seldom know anything. What is your guess? If I ride the bike as is will the poly:

1. Just be fine.

2. melt, or flake off.

3. burst into flame like the Space Shuttle? :blink:

It'll be fine, it's only flammable when the solvents used to keep the paint/color in suspension are still present. And as has been pointed out, the engine itself, especially the alternator, doesn't get hot enough to ignite it anyway..

...you were braver than I to paint something still ON the bike ^_^

I always remove anything to be painted, as the overspray is pretty sneaky, no matter how well one masks.

al

Guest captain nemo

No, the cover is off the bike. Yes, I asked a paint guy and he said it would be ok even if it did get very hot. I think I touched the cover once after riding and thought it was pretty hot. Thanks.

Guest captain nemo

Yea, that cover takes a hell of a beating which is why I keep a can of dark grey to keep hitting it. I don't suppose the clear coat will last. I even thought of chroming it - sorry to mention chrome - but I wonder how that would hold up.

By the way, I want to have my valve covers painted glossy black by that special paint process - not powder coating - something like 'Emron' - what do they call that????? It also holds up to very high temps.

Guest northend

Krylon engine paint works fine. I wouldn't waste your money on the fancy paint.

This paint has been on my 78 Harley( including the cylinder fins) for three years and have not had any problems. And the way it appears that you like to change color :grin: ,this paint is easy to deal with.

Best of luck...........Jeff