More on mpg

belfastguzzi

Well mpg certainly hasn't improved with time.

I'm prompted to post because I've just opened a copy of Bike and it fell at the end of a road trip report on a ZZR1400 and an R1200 GS.

The BM averaged 44mpg with a best of 48.

Theoretical range of 195; practical range 160

The Kwak averaged 40 with a best of 45.

Theoretical range is 197 miles; practical 180.

My Griso 1200 8V has a practical range of 100 miles.

Last fill was no different to usual. From a tip-top top-up, the warning light came on after only 93 miles.

The computer display tells me that the bike is averaging 23.8mpg!

It may be calculating in American gallons (if that's true, what a stupid, stupid, un-necessarily stupid and obtuse way to build a 'useful' computer display feature!) but even so, 24mpg and 100 miles range is rubbish in a bike like this.

Could the computer / speedometer / odometer be way out of whack? It's almost certainly over-reporting speed / under-counting distance, but it's not madly out. When I do a journey that I know is around 25 miles it doesn't tell me that I've done 15.

What are others getting now with this engine?

What the other CARC (modern) motors giving? 1200 Sport?

BTW there is a V7 Café Classic article. It easily averaged 50mpg and gave a 200 mile range.

That's more reasonable.

I've just watched it displaying the mpg on the move.

At around 3,000 rpm and 50mph it can give 50mpg to 60mpg.

It could be made to read over 60mpg.

Wind it up in a pleasurable manner and the reading displayed dropped to 19mpg.

This could give some credence to your outlandish proposition, Rob.

I kept an eye on it on the motorway yesterday.

The display read from around 30mpg down to 20mpg.

Riding motorway and A roads as well as minor roads, the fuel warning light came on at 95 miles from brim full.

Hi guys,

I have a 1200S bought in June with 9000km on the clock. It's the 1st bike I've had with fuel consumption calculated. Basically, I'm getting 5L/100km (56MPG) and recently got a tankful at 4.7L/100km, without motorways. On the other hand, I then hit the motorway, and with 140km/h on the clock and with a bit of a headwind, was getting 8L/100km, ie 35MPG. So it's a roller coaster ! Anyway, with the 23L tank, I seem to go over 250km with still half-full showing, which WAY better than the v11 or the previous st2, which was a brilliant bike ...

So with the ups and downs, I'm trying to ignore the fuel consumption ... and enjoy it (which any Guzzi is great for !)

enjoy your weekend

Hi guys,

I have a 1200S bought in June with 9000km on the clock. It's the 1st bike I've had with fuel consumption calculated. Basically, I'm getting 5L/100km (56MPG) and recently got a tankful at 4.7L/100km, without motorways. On the other hand, I then hit the motorway, and with 140km/h on the clock and with a bit of a headwind, was getting 8L/100km, ie 35MPG. So it's a roller coaster ! Anyway, with the 23L tank, I seem to go over 250km with still half-full showing, which WAY better than the v11 or the previous st2, which was a brilliant bike ...

So with the ups and downs, I'm trying to ignore the fuel consumption ... and enjoy it (which any Guzzi is great for !)

enjoy your weekend

Thanks for posting. I was thinking of asking for info on the other recent bikes. It's just for interest. I certainly agree 100% with your "I'm trying to ignore the fuel consumption ... and enjoy it (which any Guzzi is great for !)" – Absolutely!

However it is also a bit frustrating when the bike's fuel tank is small and the riding range is correspondingly low. I was starting to get worried last weekend: I realised that I should have filled up when I saw a station at 75 miles and then nothing more... warning light came on.... still nothing and I was on a stretch of coast road with no obvious fuel stations at each of the small villages. 75 miles seemed just too ridiculous to be filling-up again – but next time, I will.

The Griso tank from warning light to brim-full = 13L

13 L = 3.43 USGALL = 2.86 IMPGALL

In average, practical terms:

Griso 1200 8V has a 13L to 15L capacity and gives a practical tank range of 100 miles at best (warning light) to 120 miles max

100 miles = 160 km

120 miles = 193km

I'm getting approx 8 miles per litre, 12.8 km per L

In very round, practical terms, my G12 8V

has a capacity of 3 gallons

and gives a max of 120 miles at best

= 40 mpg (Imperial Gallons) * 40mpg isn't so bad, actually*

~ approx 14 km per L ~ approx 7L per 100km

1200 Sport.... What are finding is your average range?

23L (is that max capacity?) and you are getting 250 km on a half-tank (approx)!? 5L / 100km

so you have a range of about 450 miles!!!!?

IMHO, 7 l/100 km is really bad for a road bike. Almost any bike, new or old, should be able to cruise under 5 l/100 km unless you pin it on the Autobahn. There are cars with better figures than that.

Put some Dellortos on that accursed beast.

Or better yet, replace the engine temperature sensor with a GM air temperature sensor and mount it in a plastic tube, you know, like what the internet is made of. JUST KIDDING Don't do it ;)

What are finding is your average range?

23L (is that max capacity?) and you are getting 250 km on a half-tank (approx)!? 5L / 100km

so you have a range of about 450 miles!!!!?

Av range : I'm getting better range than I've had on any bike ... easily more than I can take before a break. I haven't measured it. Usually the Generally therefore, I'm refilling before the warning light goes on, as - at that stage - you put in close to 20L, which means only 3L left, ie chance of running out, with say only 60km range left, which on the motorway or on country roads can mean no stations close by (I don't use GPS). So, on slow country roads at 5L/100, that means a range of approx 400km, which ties up with what I've read people getting elsewhere, approx 300km on the motorway (at legal speeds), both of these would be considering using the full 20L, leaving 3L (assuming that's there, which I don't know).

The other points about this bike are :

- it's good looking ...

- probably the best pillion ever (seat good, excellent hand-holds, v good legroom), which is the main reason why I changed from the v11, which was only "good" for about 1 1/2 hours for the pillion

- luggage : when I picked-up the bike, it had the (older style) black panniers on, which are well-made & solidly-fixed, if heavy

- instrumentation is v good & clear

- zero vibration anywhere, so far

The only "down" sides are :

- (I'm told due to a lighter flywheel) it won't handle 6th gear at less than 2000rpm, which is too slow in town, which is definately less cool than the old chuggy Guzzis, including the v11

- (Due to the single exhaust?) the sound is less good. The popping on overrun doesn't bother me, but it's less "v-twin" than the older bikes, which is strange, 'acuse there's still two big pots poking out the sides ...

Cheers from Alsace

• 2 weeks later...
I kept an eye on it on the motorway yesterday.

The display read from around 30mpg down to 20mpg.

Riding motorway and A roads as well as minor roads, the fuel warning light came on at 95 miles from brim full.

how does it idle? maybe your TPS is out of whack?

Have you given any thought to the fact you are running the wrong oil in it just might have something to do with fuel mileage?

Not really because it has always been the same (before the dealer oil change)

how does it idle? maybe your TPS is out of whack?

TPS could be off. That's something I said to the dealer / service agent, but he doesn't believe in attaching the Axone at service time!

I said to him that the original dealer had done nothing at first service apart from change the oil filter: Axone definitely wasn't used. tps wasn't checked / re-set. This other dealer, the 'new' one, considered that to be perfectly normal at service / first service. Services are just oil changes, apparently!

Pete also finds the 8V to be thirsty. I don't know how thirsty, quanitatively.

It would be interesting to hear from Paul, after his European trip, right enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm convinced that Guzzi got their badge wrong. It must be a V8, not an 8V.

You have to laugh really. Last night the 'reserve' fuel warning light come at 83.5 miles – a particularly bad figure, but exactly the same as it gave a few weeks ago at another 'low'.

When I filled up and checked the display, the average mileage reading said 19mpg!

19!!

If the display is in US galls, that is 12.4 L per km :lol: :lol: :lol:<_>