Fuel starvation at speed

Bbennett

Guest ratchethack
The little nipple at the bottom of the fuel regulator (yellow thing is pointing at it) is not supposed to have a line on it is it? And I assume that fact that the bottom the fuel regulator with said nipple rotates a little is not relevant...

Bob, I happen to have my tank off for a new fuel filter and other stuff at the moment.

Correct on the open vac reference port on the FPR (per many threads on this) but mine doesn't rotate a-tall. :huh2:

Rotating nipples belong on the "Hooters Thread." B)

My regulator don't rotate neither, but it still doesn't mean the regulator's gone up. So far, no one has a bad fuel pressure regulator.

I have checked everything in the fuel system at this point - 1 item at a time. No joy. My thoughts now wander to air intake and god help me - electrical.

Relays was not the first guess in this case, but have you tried swapping them around just to get them out of the picture? I know cases where the power relay only gave problems at specific rpms (i.e specific vibration patterns).

Rotating nipples belong on the "Hooters Thread." B)

My regulator don't rotate neither, but it still doesn't mean the regulator's gone up. So far, no one has a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Rotating is not a problem so long as it doesn't leak.

And no, nothing hooked up to the nipple.

Boy, the going up an incline is a clue- I just don't know what it is pointing at - the need for more fuel, the need for more air , an electrical/ignition problem ?

could it be that there is something amiss inside the tank and the flow of fuel into the petcock is blocked by something , and it is worse when the front wheel is higher ?

Could the return line being restricted or blocked have the similar effect ? ( I don't think so )

Going up an incline requires maybe more power - hence more fuel than it is getting ? is there a bypass in the system to return fuel to the tank ( maybe that is in the fuel pressure regulator) if that is malfunctioning you may have reduced fuel pressure

I guess it would make sense to measure fuel flow and pressure at the injectors to see if you have a fuel problem or an air problem , or a crazy electrical problem (incorrect timing would reduce power ) maybe the crank position sensor is defective or vibrating/moving

What a puzzle

I guess ensuring fuel flow and pressure at the injectors would kill that as an avenue, or point to a problem

If you have a lidless airbox, the tank thermal line could be getting sucked down blocking the air intake.

This is like de'ja'vu all over again.

(post 14)

Guest ratchethack
This is like de'ja'vu all over again.

(post 14)

Always a masterful observation. ;)

From the same original Master:

"When you come to a fork in the road -- Take it!" :lol:

post-1212-1251475700.jpg

The bike gets worse and worse each day. Now it will only idle. Any application of the throttle kills the engine.

I am not skilled enough to mess with the TPS.

What is the tank thermal line pls?

I will move some relays around - I think they are fine but ya never know.

Bob

The bike gets worse and worse each day. Now it will only idle. Any application of the throttle kills the engine.

I am not skilled enough to mess with the TPS.

What is the tank thermal line pls?

I will move some relays around - I think they are fine but ya never know.

Bob

If you have ever adjusted your TPS you are capable of doing a rudimentary test by hooking up the volt meter as shown in the TPS adjustment thread and see if it's around 525mV with the engine off and the throttle closed, then slowly crank the throttle open and see if the voltmeter sweeps smoothly upward to around 4.8V.

The tank "thermal line" what you called reflective tape back in post #15. Are you sure there's nothing blocking your pod filters?

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the rubber boots for the intake can pop loose from the head. Pull back on the throttle bodies to see if they are each fastened securely to the intake tract.

(By "thermal line" I think Dlaing was meaning thermal liner or thermal lining.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to cap off this thread as well as I can....it was not the relays.

I finally took the bike into Moto Int. and they informed me I was "out of fuel". Very embarassing. All I could muster was a "but the light never came on" response and mutter something about my purposefully keeping a minimal amount of fuel in tank while taking the tank on and off 3X per day.

Anyway, they could find no problem with bike when fuel was added. The only difference is that it is about 20 degrees F cooler now. and they fully charged the battery.

So I am not 100% sure what the issue was. I certainly had plenty of fuel for the majority of my tests.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions in the thread - off to RIDE

Bob

Guest ratchethack
I finally took the bike into Moto Int. and they informed me I was "out of fuel".

Always a pleasure to see a problem resolved, Bob.

Thanks for the follow-up, and for having the decency to admit the mis-diagnosis on "not quite empty".

It's a good lesson that some of us (myself included) won't likely forget. ;)

I finally took the bike into Moto Int. and they informed me I was "out of fuel". Very embarassing. All I could muster was a "but the light never came on" response and mutter something about my purposefully keeping a minimal amount of fuel in tank while taking the tank on and off 3X per day.

Anyway, they could find no problem with bike when fuel was added.

So I am not 100% sure what the issue was. I certainly had plenty of fuel for the majority of my tests.

Perhaps your manual fuel cock does not flow properly when down at minimum fuel levels. I don't know how you would measure fuel flow but that could explain why you felt you had sufficient fuel but experienced otherwise.

I know from experience that my V11 will simply quit when it runs out and the tank will be bone dry.

Jim

P.S I just experienced the tank lining syndrome as well. I had a lack of power and suspected fuel flow so I removed the tank a few times but could find no problem. I took it to the shop and they also could find nothing after removing the tank a couple of times. Finally, when the tank was removed a third time and the lining dropped out and fell to the ground, the mechanic looked at the lining and there was a perfect imprint of the top of my lidless airbox!!