Transmission failure on my Coppa Italia

polebridge

Hi, heres a pic of my fix to the pawl spring breakage problem. I actually ordered a replacement spring from my nearest dealer but still haven't seen it nearly 2 yrs later, so this was plan B after waiting about 4 weeks. The spring breaks with no warning as mine broke downshifting coming up to a stop sign, when i took off again it felt like 2nd and not first gear which i had changed down to while stationary then when I couldn't shift up or down, <_ well you know the rest. actually managed to get shifted into so i could limp home by accellerating and backing off while working shift lever. class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/post-5650-1256111755.jpg">P1060140.JPG

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, heres a pic of my fix to the pawl spring breakage problem. I actually ordered a replacement spring from my nearest dealer but still haven't seen it nearly 2 yrs later, so this was plan B after waiting about 4 weeks. The spring breaks with no warning as mine broke downshifting coming up to a stop sign, when i took off again it felt like 2nd and not first gear which i had changed down to while stationary then when I couldn't shift up or down, <_ well you know the rest. actually managed to get shifted into so i could limp home by accellerating and backing off while working shift lever. class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/post-5650-1256111755.jpg">P1060140.JPG

That looks like a very clever idea. I might have considered it had I seen it before installing my new spring. So...looks like you drilled through and fixed a small post. Was it easy? What did you use for the post and how did you secure it?

That looks like a very clever idea. I might have considered it had I seen it before installing my new spring. So...looks like you drilled through and fixed a small post. Was it easy? What did you use for the post and how did you secure it?

Yes it is a roll pin about 1/8 dia, you tap them in to a slightly smaller hole so it fits nice and tight. Job was quite easy to do, once in place its actually blocked either side from coming out by other parts. I think this setup would be longer lasting than the end of the spring bent and hooked over a right angle bend. Heres a pic of my beast.Copy_of_Guzzi_2_003.jpg

Thank you for posting your solution, Chris. It's always refreshing to see some really inspired idea posted here. A colleague from a German forum mentioned, you should have used the broken end of the spring as a new boss - just for giving it the ultimate bling ;)

Nice picture of your bike, too, btw.

Hubert

Thank you for posting your solution, Chris. It's always refreshing to see some really inspired idea posted here. A colleague from a German forum mentioned, you should have used the broken end of the spring as a new boss - just for giving it the ultimate bling ;)

Nice picture of your bike, too, btw.

Hubert

Thanks, that did cross my mind but broken piece was to small/short to be effective. There would be a number of other ways to do this like threading a small bolt in or welding a pin in place but I chose the roll pin as it is easily removed if you want it to be. Awesome looking bikes a.

.... but I chose the roll pin as it is easily removed if you want it to be. ...

This, and the fact, that the roller does not need to be too tight because it's secured by other parts below and above it, makes the whole thing a very hack. If it was me to copy this the only problem would be to find this needle. I know, I have several of them piled up over the years, but where are they now?

Hubert

The roll pin is a great idea. Unfortunately the springs don't always break at the tang. My Cannon Racecraft spring broke in the middle of a coil.

RandomPictures_6_7_08005.jpg

I could be wrong but I don't recall seeing many broken pawl spring complaints from the red frame owners. If I'm not mistaken the early V11 trannys had an adjustable eccentric stop for the pawl instead of the roll pin in the casting like the later bikes. Could the roll pin be the cause of our pawl spring problems?

If the "improved" Guzzi spring that I installed breaks I'm going to take a close look at that when I have the shifter cover off :luigi:

• 2 weeks later...
I could be wrong but I don't recall seeing many broken pawl spring complaints from the red frame owners. If I'm not mistaken the early V11 trannys had an adjustable eccentric stop for the pawl instead of the roll pin in the casting like the later bikes. Could the roll pin be the cause of our pawl spring problems?

If the "improved" Guzzi spring that I installed breaks I'm going to take a close look at that when I have the shifter cover off :luigi:

There was a pic of the eccentric adjuster a few years ago. When it was posted, it had me flummoxed as I expected that there should have been a roll pin.

eccentric screw stop 1

eccentric screw stop 2

Also, note that the roll pin has been known to fall out (somehow!).

roll pin fall out

My RedFrame had a unique spring failure in that the original gearbox was replaced at 27,213 miles (replaced 12/03) with a box probably made later than the original 2000. The selector spring failed on the newer box at 27,463.

The newer box still has the eccentric adjuster. I wasn't aware those were deleted in later production.