Beaten senseless by the ugly stick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh you should read the bedlam going on at the VFR forum.take the Breva sport dislike and multiply it by 10.

Usually Honda changes every four years between models.Since the 2002 VTEC was introduced, 7 YEARS ago,everyone has been speculating/arguing over what it will be.Ooh Honda got this one wrong,well at least the appearance .Heavier than the last model,smaller tank,fugly as all hell.It's probably gonna go like stink, as the HP's are gonna be in the 150ish range and finally a shaft drive.

The magazines voted it best sport-tourer for 10 YEARS in a row.BOTY in 1998.Those are not easy achievements.Anyone who dismisses them without having owned,not ridden a friends,but actually put on at least few thousand miles,does not really understand how great a bike it is.

At least they HAVE a new model to argue about.We don't even have the luxury of a rumor of a new,better model.

Piaggio has forgotten us. <_>

Since the 2002 VTEC was introduced, 7 YEARS ago,everyone has been speculating/arguing over what it will be....The magazines voted it best sport-tourer for 10 YEARS in a row.BOTY in 1998.Those are not easy achievements.

All that ended with the VTEC model. In fact, the 2001 last of the line model has a higher used price than any of the VTEC models 2002-5, iirc. Honda really stubbed their toe on that one.

I don't think the new VFR12 is going to be saving the company: with the same puke styling as the DN-01, the same pursuit of technology for technology's sake, and a sticker price that I'm certain will scare away anyone who can live with a little chain maintenance & non-matching luggage, I don't foresee a bright future for this bike.

Soichiro-san continues spinning, as he has done for most of the past decade... ;)

All that ended with the VTEC model. In fact, the 2001 last of the line model has a higher used price than any of the VTEC models 2002-5, iirc. Honda really stubbed their toe on that one.

I don't think the new VFR12 is going to be saving the company: with the same puke styling as the DN-01, the same pursuit of technology for technology's sake, and a sticker price that I'm certain will scare away anyone who can live with a little chain maintenance & non-matching luggage, I don't foresee a bright future for this bike.

Soichiro-san continues spinning, as he has done for most of the past decade... ;)

Sorry I didn't mention that the VTEC wasn't in that 10 year run.OK now everyone knows ,don't know if anyone cares.

I have owned 3 VFR's.A 4th gen(90k),5 gen, the 1998(40k), and an 02 VTEC(18k so far),so I know all the models pretty well.Yes the VTEC is the least successful of the last three generations,no need for the VTEC and had some electrical recalls which were repaired by Honda FOC.Unlike the multitude of issues that the V11 has had that most have been ignored by Guzzi.No matter what anyone says about being boring,no soul,run of the mill Japanese sport bike,it does a lot of things VERY well and is different by having a sweet V-4 and in the past ,simple,classy,Italian-inspired styling.The cool style ended in 1998 bike ,even though mechanically it was just about perfect.

Real shame what they're doing to to it,even though Honda says this bike is NOT a replacement for the Interceptor.

Love my V11,love my VFR,....

1994 VFR,

1994_VFR750F.jpeg

Is this the ugliest mofoing bike you have every seen?

I think a few Honda bosses will be comitting harakiri when it turns out to be a utter sales flop:

red.jpg

I expect it will be overpriced and over complicated too.

This bike seems to be following in the typical styling trends that are practiced today. The muffler is of course brutal visually, in typical Moto GP style. The rest of the bike, while not inspiring, is not even close to other recent landmark trendsetters in true 100% ugliness. The Buell 1125, both roaster, and especially the streefighter, lead this current catagory. The Stelvio is particulary adept at garnering a second glance to see if something can be styled that strangely, but should be allowed alot of free rein here as it is in a catagory of bike, the big dual sport catagory, that is pre-destined to be strange looking.

I put this current Honda in the big yawn catagory, like most Hondas these days, rather than the truly ugly catagory.

Steve

I put this current Honda in the big yawn catagory, like most Hondas these days, rather than the truly ugly catagory....

Nevertheless, if this new VFR won't sell, then maybe their other stuff:

honda_cb1100r.jpg

or

honda_cb1100f.jpg

(EDIT: Sorry, just now I see that Tom had posted the above already :( )

Very close to custom bikes like at the link below for instance (just add a matt black spray can to the above)

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/bikes.html

I think Honda might be quite close to the market actually, even if their products don't find too much enthusiasm on a dedicated Guzzi forum :grin:

Hubert

I'll bet if most of the people in here were given a chance to ride one, I bet they would not want to give it back. What a bike looks like really doesnt matter a whole lot once you're on top of it & rolling down the road. The thing about a Honda is that they just plain work. However.. one major drawback of owning a bike like that is I would be afraid to do anything much more than change the oil in it.

Dont' want to hurt your feelings mate but like a women looks are all you have to go on at first glance so has to tick some of the boxes,hence when i saw my Le Mans on Craigs List.com a community sales site on the computer over here in Canada,"Nuff said"

Dont' care for it myself age probably has something to with it, and it depends on who they are marketing it to,the younger crowd go for the crotch rockets so 1100 cc might not be in there budget range let alone insurance and they tend not to do much touring also.

To much of the recent styling seems to be going towards the Transnformers Tonka toys look,can you say B King,V Max,i know we have to move forward "IE"us older buggers will be in the pine box not to far down the road so they have to get new customers on side,gas tanks say a lot about the styling of a bike espe'cially from the side view and the one on this bike is just plain "UGLY"along with these new fangled mufflers there putting on,well i see i'm writing a book so i'll crawl back into my cave now,are we asleep yet.

Toodles STU.

Nevertheless, if this new VFR won't sell, then maybe their other stuff:

honda_cb1100r.jpg

or

honda_cb1100f.jpg

(EDIT: Sorry, just now I see that Tom had posted the above already :( )

Very close to custom bikes like at the link below for instance (just add a matt black spray can to the above)

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/bikes.html

I think Honda might be quite close to the market actually, even if their products don't find too much enthusiasm on a dedicated Guzzi forum :grin:

Hubert

I'll give a nod of approval toward the 1100R replica seen above. But I'll also bet my next paycheck that this bike will never be seen in North America!!

Steve

I'll bet if most of the people in here were given a chance to ride one, I bet they would not want to give it back. What a bike looks like really doesnt matter a whole lot once you're on top of it & rolling down the road. The thing about a Honda is that they just plain work. However.. one major drawback of owning a bike like that is I would be afraid to do anything much more than change the oil in it.

I know what your saying but..................................................! Time and time again I find myself stopping in the middle of nowhere to enjoy the view etc. and every time I look at the bike and think WOW! Maybe I'm just wierd. :lol::lol:

I know what your saying but..................................................! Time and time again I find myself stopping in the middle of nowhere to enjoy the view etc. and every time I look at the bike and think WOW! Maybe I'm just wierd. :lol::lol:

Three years deep, and I still find myself heading into the house, but turning back to gaze on the Nero and say to myself "Damn, that is one of the best looking motorcycles ever made!" I don't see myself doing that to this Honda, or my refridgerator for that matter. I don't think much about the esthetics of appliances all that often. I would only notice them when they didn't function properly. NakedV, the longer your here, the less weird you will appear when judged alongside present company!!! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh! This could be something special,too bad it's fugly. Just have to wear a dark visor,...

, http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/new...F/?R=EPI-119446

From MCN tester,

"I’ve just stepped off the VFR1200F after a 25 minute session on track at Sugo in Japan lead by ex-GP rider Tohru Ukawa - the VFR1200F is a seriously easy bike to ride.

'It took less than a lap to get comfortable on the bike and despite the kerb weight being a hefty 267kg and the bike being fully fuelled, that weight wasn’t apparent at all. It drops into turns so easily that for the first half a lap I had to sit the bike up again a couple of times as it caught me out.

'Don’t confuse easy with boring - the V4 motor has character and lots of grunt all the way through to the 10,500rpm redline. The engine is strong all the way through, throttle response is lovely, the ABS linked brakes have bite and feel and wind protection is excellent.

'I was expecting more of a howling V4 engine noise but it’s flatter and deeper which wasn’t what I was thought it would be like…it still sounds very good though. Almost like an aircraft radial piston engine.

'After such a short session the overall impression is of a bike that feels just right for the sports tourer slot it has been built for.

More to follow as I get more time on the bike.

Keep checking back for updates or click here to read all the latest new "

Yes, we have already established that we don't like the looks,myself included, X10 mainly because it strays waay from VFR tradition.

But if your in the market for a mainly, one-up supersport tourer ala the K1300S ,the accolades are coming in fast and furious that it would be foolish as a motorcycle enthusiast to ignore what there doing with this new bike .This is only one of about six different independent reviews Iv'e seen,and they all seem to be equally impressed.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandu...200f/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

Have you seen the price of the new VFR?

Link

If the UK price is similar that puts it nearly £6k more than a Triumph Sprint ST- and thats before you add panniers!!

So they have made it ugly, overweight, with a poor tank range- and to cap it all they have made sure its very expensive.

I like it when Honda make Piaggio look proficient!!!

Guy :helmet: