Valve Cover Coatings

al_roethlisberger

Well, I've been wanting the red valve covers from the Rosso series for a while now, but wasn't willing to shell out $300 for them.....

Also, I've noticed that on all the OEM covers the coating is very thick, and typically cracks off around the mounting holes.... so spending $300 on covers that are just going to chip up as soon as they are tightened didn't seem to make sense either.

.....so thought, hey why don't I just have my gray ones coated?? :huh2:

So, I thought that since the covers are aluminum, that I would take them down to my local plater and get them anodized. I remember my anodized parts on my BMX bike, and finish was quite tough and looked great. I was assuming the stock cover was powder coated, so since it chipped so easily, I thought anodizing was a good alternative.

Upon going down to the platers, they told me that the valve covers would not be a good subject for anodization, because they were cast aluminum. Apparently cast aluminum varys quite a bit in uniformity, and also often contains magnesium, and these cause the finish to come out rough "like charcoal" and any tint would end up black-ish. So trying to anodize the covers red would end up with a very odd deep "fuzzy" red/black color, and very inconsistent in finish, showing every defect in the casting.

And upon further inspection, they said that the covers were simply painted gray with a clear-coat, not powder coated. It appeared that Guzzi used a standard gray paint, and put it on very very thick(hence the chipping around the holes) perhaps in a misguided attempt to be more durable and heat-resistant. Then the gray(or red) paint was covered with a clear-coat to protect it. Unfortunately, it didn't work too well.

So, after all that :rolleyes: .... they said they could however powder-coat the covers, and done right it would be much more durable than the original finish ^_^

In theory, I should have the covers back by Friday, and hopefully the color will be a close match to the red "pork chop" side-plates, after all even the Rosso covers don't really match the red on the side-plates :P

I'll let you know how it works out, and if it works well, it's a relatively inexpensive option at about $100-150 in comparison to $300 for new red ones :thumbsup:

al

P.S.

Upon handing the valve covers to the fellas in the shop, they asked what kind of motorcycle it came from. Smiling, with a friendly smirk, I tapped on the cover where "Moto Guzzi" was cast into the cover.... and he looked at me kinda funny, asking the question again :rolleyes: He said he had worked with plenty of parts from Suzuki, HD, Honda, Ducati, etc... but had never heard of Moto Guzzi. Kinda fun sharing that with someone for the first time :D

Guest pasturej

Will be very interested to see the result of your powder coating. I have always thought that red valve covers would look great on my black 2003 LM but was equally put off by the price of the MG parts (particularly if they are going to start looking scabby in no time as the red covers in particular seem to).

Jonathan

Hmmm, I'm kind of interested in this too. My machinist here at work wants to start anodizing aluminum in the machine shop (I'm at a University). So, I've been researching home-anodizing setups. If anyone want's some links, let me know- I'll post them. The point is, that most 'cast' aluminum is a poor choice for anodizing- not so much from magnesium (that I've read), but from a high silicon content. Maybe both metals interfere- I'll try to find out.

From the 'small world' catagory, it appears that Jerry Kimberlin - owner of team Dondolino, and California Guzzi fellow- knows quite a bit about anodizing- I found some articles he wrote in ~1995 on the web.

Well, in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how the anodizing goes- we should be experimenting with scrap aluminum next week, the do some real parts shortly thereafter.

If anyone wants to donate a set of valve covers, I'll happily experiment on them- whatever color you want (if I can get it). When it's up and running, I'll probably anodize the pork chops on my bike. Hmmm, blue? gold? orange? naaahhh, just red.

Cheers,

Jason

I think we now have a two wheeled description of the term "bilng-bling". I like the flat gold of the Brembo parts, on brake parts and when it is used on wheels, very much. I wouldn't do it myself but the red valve covers are cool. But that finish, to my eye, would look much better on a Harley, if you get my drift.

JMHO,

Lex

Guest captain nemo

This is pretty funny to me. I just went down into the industrial section today to 'Art Brass and Plating' with my valve covers! Wow. That's synchronicity. I really thought they wouldn't have time for me and my puny valve covers, but instead I met a real nice fellow who was also interested in my bike. When he saw the covers he said, "BMW?"

Anyhoo, I will have them done in black powdercoat along with my guards. Only 100 bucks. Not bad at all. He told me to bring them down Monday and he'll have them back for me in a couple days. I can also throw in a few other small parts if I wish. Hummmmm, what else to do!! :unsure:

I'll put up some close-ups so you all can see the work. These will look killer with my new black glossy fender.

This thread is exactly why this forum is wonderful.

Left to my own pathetic devices, I would have asked the wrong people the wrong questions and, of course, gotten the wrong answers, which, of course, I would have believed, paid... and been stung.

Thanks all.

Has anyone found a simple paint to match the matte silver of the early sports?

The stuff seems pretty durable but with the sport all torn down, a little touch up would not be a bad idea. :pic: