V11 -- Rear Tire Size

topher

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Alpina spoked wheels for my 2001 V11: http://tinyurl.com/yht89kw.

Does anyone know if I can go up a size and run a wider tire, and if so, do I need a wider rim (and will it clear the swingarm and other bits)?

Stock size is 170/60ZR-17. I found these shots of a V11 with an Alpina rim:http://tinyurl.com/yzgdmqk

Can't quite make it out but it appears its a Metzler M1 180/55.

thanks for your help

FWIW - I read many posts where the red-frame V11's actually handle better going one size smaller rather than larger. What I did when I changed mine. Handles better. I have read where others have gone larger.....I am sure they will chime in for you.

Regards,

Bob

Mine is an 02 with the wider 5.5" wheel. The stock tire was a 180/55. On the last tire change I went with the taller, narrower 170/60. The result is lighter steering.

police do care a lot about tire size here in CZ... and 190/50 is illegal to use on 5.5" rim. how it is in USA?

That is strange that they have an issue with putting a 190 on a 5.5" rim when Dunlop does not. They say 5.5" - 6.0" rim width for their 190's. Pirelli as well lists acceptable rim widths for their 190 as 5.5" - 6.0".

But I would go with a narrower rear tire for better handling. The width of what rear tire you run in part depends on the width of the rim. If it is a 4.5" rim then a 160 is the optimum width. If it is a 5.5" rim then a 180 is the optimum width (although a 170 does fall into that range as well but the perfect width for a 170 is often 5.0"). It is easy to look at the specs of the different tires and see what width rim they were designed for.

That is strange that they have an issue with putting a 190 on a 5.5" rim when Dunlop does not. They say 5.5" - 6.0" rim width for their 190's. Pirelli as well lists acceptable rim widths for their 190 as 5.5" - 6.0".

But I would go with a narrower rear tire for better handling. The width of what rear tire you run in part depends on the width of the rim. If it is a 4.5" rim then a 160 is the optimum width. If it is a 5.5" rim then a 180 is the optimum width (although a 170 does fall into that range as well but the perfect width for a 170 is often 5.0"). It is easy to look at the specs of the different tires and see what width rim they were designed for.

point is that only 180/55 is homologated on V11 here in CZ. Don't have 180? Than your vehicle does not match homologation --> in case of accident your insurance does not apply. Which is rather silly :doh:

190/50 is just perfect. 190/55 is bit higher so the steering is quicker. Anyway, in these sizes you'll find number of race tires... which are nearly useless on road (as they often have the big ugly sign "not for highway use" on them).

I guess it's subjective (& I have never tried 190) but for me based on experiencing 170 & 180 there is no way on earth a 190 is going to handle as well as a 180 (or even better a 170) on the 5.5" rim on V11S. IMV the closer the match of widths front to rear, the more linear & progressive will turn in feel. I guess any decent tyre once leant over will feel OK - it's the transition from upright to leant over that is the issue. Steering varies by tyre type/profile, but on any given rear tyre a 170 will give quicker steering & more progressive feel than a 180 or 190.

Anyhow, tho a taller rear tyre would speed up steering by changing geometery, a 190/50 is nominal ht of 95, whereas a 180/55 is 99 - so 180 is actually taller.

Last I looked at a tyre manufacture guide (Bridgestone I think) - they only listed 170 & 180 as correct for 5.5" rim. Guzzi spec 180. Why go for a 190? :wacko: - I guess after a lifetime on moped size tyres a 170 is plenty butch enough for me....

But - one question - with a 170 stretched over a 5.5" rim, will you have less tread/lean angle available than say with a 190 more "pinched" in profile on same rim? ie: a narrower tyre offers a flatter profile than a wider one on given rim size, & therefore less available lean angle (you will run out of tread earlier on the narrower tyre)???

KB :sun:

well, to be honest, I am now running Pirelli Supercorsa III in 190/50 size on my V11 2001. Great handling, superb angles in curves...

perfect match :bike: to sporty ride...

but...

police do care a lot about tire size here in CZ... and 190/50 is illegal to use on 5.5" rim. how it is in USA?

Thanks for the input, mates. So Slavomir, to confirm--your 190/50s are on a 5.5" rim?

I dunno. I like the way my green ghost goes into the corners, and don't want to muck it up.

Thanks for the input, mates. So Slavomir, to confirm--your 190/50s are on a 5.5" rim?

I dunno. I like the way my green ghost goes into the corners, and don't want to muck it up.

correct 190/50 on 5,5" rim.

my rear 180/55 died and I got a lightly worn Supercorsa from friend so I tried it out. And it works fine.

But - one question - with a 170 stretched over a 5.5" rim, will you have less tread/lean angle available than say with a 190 more "pinched" in profile on same rim? ie: a narrower tyre offers a flatter profile than a wider one on given rim size, & therefore less available lean angle (you will run out of tread earlier on the narrower tyre)???

KB :sun:

To a large extent, yes. A 170 on a 5.5" rim will have a flatter profile and less contact patch at high angles of lean. But a 190 on a 5.5" rim (or a 170 on a 4.5" rim) will likely have a mushroom shaped profile and also have a smaller contact patch at high angles of lean. This tends to happen because many tires are designed to be stiffer in the middle and more flexible towards the edges, this means that when you squeeze a larger tire on to a skinnier rin it does not pinch evenly but tends to pinch in more at the sides of the tread and less at the center. Race oriented tires are less likely to have this issue as they are usually reinforced in the middle like street tires are. Is it the end of the world either way? No. In fact, depending on rider preference, you may prefer the feel of a narrower tire or a wider tire as evidenced by others who like the feel of a 190 on a 5.5" rim. Unless you ride on the track or ride like an idiot on the street I doubt you will "run out of tread" with a 170 on a 5.5" rim. There is something of a "right and wrong" here, but in the end the most important factor is rider preference.

Slavomir, I was not trying to question your situation but expressing my amazement of it. I have no doubt what you say is true, I just find it silly that they would do that. America has plenty of issues but so far that is not one of them. We can run whatever size tire we can fit.