Yes its a bit colder than normal and the snow has settled and been more persistent over the last three or four weeks.

I can understand the media hype because, especially in the south, the weather is most unusual but that is what happens when you get cold north winds for weeks on end rather than the usually milder prevailing westerlies coming from the Gulf Stream.

I dont normally feel the cold but had to admit defeat and wear gloves yesterday when digging out the drive.

Roll on Spring!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of it is hype especially where i live. Yesterday i checked in at 5.30 am at aberdeen airport (wheres the forecasted blizzards when you need them <_ flew up to the shetlands ok there is lots of snow and straight out rig more there. i was lookin forward a few extra days off till global warming kicked in now am here src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_bbblll.gif" alt=":bbblll:"> , sick as the proverbial.

Happy new year

Gary

Guest ratchethack
How bad is it in Minnesota?

Here's today's weather VIDEO on USAToday.com:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/win...cold-snap_N.htm

-and note the accompanying article:

Intense cold hits Midwest, heads South

According to the VIDEO, the next state over from Minnesota, North Dakota, is expecting a HIGH today (in Bismarck, the state Capitol) of -11F (-24C). :o

But you just gotta wonder -- Wot's the LOW in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota??

-- You know, that infamous *hot spot* :not: located somewhere "up north" between International Falls, Thief River Falls, Red Lake Falls, Big Falls, and Intelligence Quotient Falls, MN?? :P

FWIW, here we have a sunny high of 71F (22C). The Guzzi gets to stretch her legs again today. :sun:

I just finished fixing the exploded UJ on my Mk3 Lemans yesterday (I use it as a winter bike) My nose was dripping and hands went numb in the unheated garage! Next weekend I'm intending going to a bike rally in Glenfarg (Camping) where its cold even in the summer! The roads better be a bit less slippy by then, going mad not being able to ride the bike! Havent seen my road for 3 weeks now, just compacted ice and snow!

well high temp today was 9F and the low is -15F or so overnight, most days for the last month straight have been below 20f for comparison water freeze's at 0c and salt water brine freezes at 0F, I don't know why we still use it but they match up at -40, so thats sumptin, coldest I've been outside for was about -35(years ago now). To make it simple its been between -12C and -20C for the last 2 or 3 weeks with about a meter of snow

You still use that system due to the English influence down there. -35F? my fillings would pop out, I'd turn blue and invert! I would require a very large woman to handle that weather. We have had it easy here so far, enough snow on the hills for good skiing, but quite mild on the low areas. 5 more weeks should be the end of it. Bikes still evident about the town (urbies). Supposed to hit 10C on tuesday. Hang in there, buy more daft shit on ebay, It'll be over fore ya know it!

You still use that system due to the English influence down there. -35F? my fillings would pop out, I'd turn blue and invert! I would require a very large woman to handle that weather. We have had it easy here so far, enough snow on the hills for good skiing, but quite mild on the low areas. 5 more weeks should be the end of it. Bikes still evident about the town (urbies). Supposed to hit 10C on tuesday. Hang in there, buy more daft shit on ebay, It'll be over fore ya know it!

no fair, you get the ocean to help keep your area somewhat normal, we only get arctic tundra air from the artic circle to pour down on us, I haven't seen a motorcycle lately but if the roads are dry I can promise you there are a few on the road no matter the temp but I have seen some 3 wheel variety, and then there are still the crazy city pedal bikers.

its also barely ever the cold, the wind chill is wicked on the plains

Today on the Dutch radio

-news over Scotland- Coldest night ever there. 22 gr. below zero.

That will chill their extremities- especially if they are wearing a kilt.

Although I think its just English blokes at weddings who wear kilts these days!

Guest ratchethack

YIKES! (Part II) :o:o

In YET ANOTHER OUTRAGEOUS display of brinksmanship, the USA rampages back to TROUNCE the UK with a "comeback" 2-to-1 Whallopping, shattering record low temps that have stood for A CENTURY! (see above)

Wintry week sets weather records

Interactive online map of record lows across the US and northern Mexico takes it to the next level with another 2X multiplier:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/mapxmlfiles/cold.htm

That's^ already in the can. . . But look wot's coming. . .

Millions across United States brace for more cold

Record cold threatens $300 million worth of crops, from strawberries and citrus fruits to tomatoes and green beans

USAToday.com 8 Jan 10 - "By the end of this weekend, 180 million Americans will have shivered through a record-setting bout of arctic cold sweeping from the Great Plains and the Midwest to the Deep South, says this article on USA today.

"Sixty percent of the U.S. population will experience temperatures 15 to 30 degrees below average at some point by Sunday night, said Weather Channel meteorologist Jim Wilson.

In the South, record lows are possible each morning through Monday.

In South Florida, where the average high temperature this time of year is 76 degrees, overnight temperatures are expected to drop into the 30s this weekend."

The cold threatens $300 million worth of crops, from strawberries and citrus fruits to tomatoes and green beans."

Unfortunately, the worst is still to come.

SOURCE: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/win...ns_N.htm?csp=34

_______

Y'all down South t'row an extra log or 2 on the fire this weekend, hear? :whistle:

Guest ratchethack
So cold the iguanas are falling out of trees in Florida

Thanks, Dan.

I kinda like this as a symbolic icon for the Great Global Warming Eco-Fraud Extortion/Carbon Trading Scam. . .

Yes, indeed. I do b'lieve I'll be getting some mileage outta this one.

Iguanas freeze by the millions in wake of International Global Warming KlusterFarge in Kobenhavn. . .

post-1212-1262989235_thumb.jpg

Florida Tree Lizards Succumb to Global Warming by Resuming Ambient Record Low Freezing Temps. . . :P