V11 sport rear wheel upgrade

kevdog3019

Ok... who can give me the skinny on upgrading the "skinny" rear of the V11 sport (red-frame) with a V11 Lemans fat tire? Here's something else... the V11 sport has silver wheels, so what are folks doing to come up with the fatter rims in silver? It looks like the fat rims would fit the Sport, right?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Ok... who can give me the skinny on upgrading the "skinny" rear of the V11 sport (red-frame) with a V11 Lemans fat tire? Here's something else... the V11 sport has silver wheels, so what are folks doing to come up with the fatter rims in silver? It looks like the fat rims would fit the Sport, right?

Thanks,

-Kevin

it just fits in, no work or parts required.

Thanks,

-Kevin

I guess it is a matter of taste as to which you prefer but I would not call putting a larger and heavier rear wheel and tire on a V11 an "upgrade".

I guess it is a matter of taste as to which you prefer but I would not call putting a larger and heavier rear wheel and tire on a V11 an "upgrade".

OK... so it looks good! Just like having your pegs back further and your crotch forced into your seat. :huh: Some view upgrades differently.

Thanks guys.

-Kevin

• 1 month later...

OK... so it looks good! Just like having your pegs back further and your crotch forced into your seat. :huh: Some view upgrades differently.

Thanks guys.

-Kevin

Echoing the "taste" comment, I would also suggest doing a search on this topic and the various feedback on the handling advantages/disadvantages of the thinner versus wider tire/rim.

I believe the general consensus was that the wider tire was more of an aesthetic benefit, while the original narrower Sport rim/tire contributed to the quicker handling(as well as shorter frame).

Some folks have tried different profile tires on the later(wide tire) bikes to regain that faster turn-in.

Al

Echoing the "taste" comment, I would also suggest doing a search on this topic and the various feedback on the handling advantages/disadvantages of the thinner versus wider tire/rim.

I believe the general consensus was that the wider tire was more of an aesthetic benefit, while the original narrower Sport rim/tire contributed to the quicker handling(as well as shorter frame).

Some folks have tried different profile tires on the later(wide tire) bikes to regain that faster turn-in.

Al

Good to see you back on the forum Al. Hope all is well for you and yerns in NC.

Hi Kev - FWIW. I have the older red fram V11 and after reading many posts, I went 1 size smaller on my rear at tire change time and it was significantly better in handling IMHO. The "fat" look is a matter of taste. I think our bikes have a little retro look to them and I do not think they look bad with thinner tires. Those fat tires look like they belong to a SuziKawa something anyway! :D

Hi Kev - FWIW. I have the older red fram V11 and after reading many posts, I went 1 size smaller on my rear at tire change time and it was significantly better in handling IMHO. The "fat" look is a matter of taste. I think our bikes have a little retro look to them and I do not think they look bad with thinner tires. Those fat tires look like they belong to a SuziKawa something anyway! :D

I agree. I put a 160mm rear on my early V11, and everything improved handling wise. The tire sits properly on the rim now, it is not cupped in tight as a 170 is.

Installing a wider rim off a 2003/and later Spine Frame to properly accept a 170mm rear tire will definitely let the tire sit properly on it's radius to the ground, whether this improves handling over a 160mm tire on a stock wheel, I can't say.

If it's a cosmetic appeal you are going for, then go for it.

Steve