V11 Sport CA smog conversion?

inkblot

Hi all- great forum- hoping you can help out a new member.

I recently moved my 2004 V11 Sport down from Seattle to S.F. CA, without considering any 49 state/smog implications. I'm now unable to register my bike here, because it apparently doesn't conform to CA's stringent enviro regs.

Are any of you familiar with what's required to legally pass inspection? Is it possible to buy (or cannibalize from an older bike/salvage, etc) and install the necessary smog equipment? Any recommendations for shops in the S.F. Bay Area with such experience?

I'd hate to have to sell the bike, out of state, because I can't make it street legal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

If it is a gas sampling problem, the bike has to run about 3 min. before you can get an accurate sample. The bike (or engine) has to turn X revolutions before going into a closed loop operation.

I could be wrong, but I believe all Guzzi's sold in the US meet CA standards. They don't sell enough bikes to bother with two versions of their bikes.

GuzziMoto is right- they are all 50 state models.

Not to say yours might be running rich or off somehow...but MAKE SURE it is fully warm and has idled a minute or two.

I seem to recall a long thread on this...try doing a search on it?

Hi all- great forum- hoping you can help out a new member.

I recently moved my 2004 V11 Sport down from Seattle to S.F. CA, without considering any 49 state/smog implications. I'm now unable to register my bike here, because it apparently doesn't conform to CA's stringent enviro regs.

Are any of you familiar with what's required to legally pass inspection? Is it possible to buy (or cannibalize from an older bike/salvage, etc) and install the necessary smog equipment? Any recommendations for shops in the S.F. Bay Area with such experience?

I'd hate to have to sell the bike, out of state, because I can't make it street legal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Take off the rear hugger; the compliance sticker is on the swingarm, & is hidden by the hugger [from prior thread.]

Does your bike have >7500 miles on it? Then its a non-issue; as a used vehicle first registered in another state, they can't say "boo" to your bringing it in! Used to be CA charged a $300 fee to reg. out of state vehicles, but someone took the state to court & the state lost, but they can still refuse if you have less than 7500 miles, 'cause they consider that "new," so it has to meet all the CA requirements. Spin the odo up over 7500 miles & all your troubles will disappear.

Don't let the govt. drones at the DMV give you the runaround; they usually don't know their own regulations any better than you do! If at first you don't succeed, try a different DMV, or the same one at a different time of day/week. You might get someone else who has a clue... ;)

Welcome to the Bay Area, I'm over in Richmond.

There are many options to get your bike registered in CA. I'm guessing that you went to the DMV in SF and the inspector told you that you don't have the CA emission sticker and equipment required to bring it in to CA. I've heard that before and it's funny that they have been wrong every time. You don't have to use DMV to inspect your vehicle, the form can be filled out by CHP or a California licensed vin inspector. CHP doesn't charge but you usually have to make an appt. the private vin inspectors charge a fee and it can vary widely. You can also just bring the bike over the the east bay and use the DMV in El Cerrito or Walnut Creek, much easier to deal with.

If you need any more info or help just let me know

Thanks for all of the great info!

I could be wrong, but I believe all Guzzi's sold in the US meet CA standards. They don't sell enough bikes to bother with two versions of their bikes.

That's what I had heard, and would have logically thought was the case... which is why I was surprised when the DMV gave me the runaround. I was presented with a form saying that I needed to certify that I had taken ownership of the bike via death or divorce, or that I had purchased the bike out of state while on active duty in the military, or that I had purchased the bike to replace a legal CA bike that was damaged/stolen while out of state. I guess those are the only exceptions allowed for bringing a non smog-cert vehicle into CA.

I'm guessing that you went to the DMV in SF and the inspector told you that you don't have the CA emission sticker and equipment required to bring it in to CA. I've heard that before and it's funny that they have been wrong every time.

Yep. That's exactly what happened. The inspector poked around the bike for about 2 min, and couldn't find whatever he was looking for.

Take off the rear hugger; the compliance sticker is on the swingarm, & is hidden by the hugger [from prior thread.]

I seem to recall a long thread on this...try doing a search on it?

This would have been very helpful! I bet this is the issue- hopefully I just need to reveal the sticker and have it re-inspected.

I did search around this forum and others before posting, but didn't find your referenced thread. Link?

If it is a gas sampling problem, the bike has to run about 3 min. before you can get an accurate sample. The bike (or engine) has to turn X revolutions before going into a closed loop operation.

Not to say yours might be running rich or off somehow...but MAKE SURE it is fully warm and has idled a minute or two.

Good to know! This wasn't the issue, as I never actually got past the visual inspection- but I will keep it in mind for the future...

Again, thanks everyone. See you on the road-

JM

This would have been very helpful! I bet this is the issue- hopefully I just need to reveal the sticker and have it re-inspected.

I did search around this forum and others before posting, but didn't find your referenced thread. Link?

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time digging around to find the old thread. Chalk it up to being on this board for the last 5 years & just having a knack for trivia... ;)

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time digging around to find the old thread. Chalk it up to being on this board for the last 5 years & just having a knack for trivia... ;)

No worries- thx. For reference, I did find this one re AZ:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14971&st=0&p=161958&hl=dmv%20compliance%20sticker&fromsearch=1entry161958

and this one regarding the emissions sticker:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13161&st=0&p=141966&hl=dmv%20compliance%20sticker&fromsearch=1entry141966

Thanks again-