Gearbox spring

Baldini

What's the part# for the spring, so we can just call up a dealer and order one or two "just in case".

BTW, can someone post a "how to" and a few photos of where this spring is, and how to replace it? This way if out on the road, it can be done without bringing a trip to a halt ^_^

al

It's interesting to know that it's the long spring which breaks. That is the spring in the diagram on the far left and engages the ratchet ( MG: preselctor hook) into the upper shift plate (MG: toothed wheels). Can anyone research changes in part numbers? Does the number change from '00/'01 to '02 and then again? :huh2:

I have this spring here in a liitle bag, just delivered 2 months ago: PN 04 23 8300.

But can anyone say that PN precedes or supercedes the number from KB's parts book?

The spring shown center (04 23 9200) is apparently the spring which returns the foot shift lever to center.

The spring at right (000 04 23 8200 0) engages the shift detent pawl ( MG: neutral indicator) into notches in the upper shift plate making contact through a small follower roller ( 04 23 4700 ). Note that what MG calls a "neutral indicator" in the English translation has nothing to do with the gearbox being in neutral or the light which indicates the box is in neutral. It's function is to firmly locate the mechanism in the chosen gear. If this function fails the gearbox would be more prone to miss gears or false neutral. :(

My theory had been that the shift detent pawl ( neutral indicator) must have been allowing my gearbox's false neutraling. This is why I ordered these parts. Guzzi, however, replaced the complete gearbox under warranty before I could test my theory. :wacko:

Soooo, if you get your side plate off ( the one on the left side under the starter) it is probably good medicine to replace all the springs and probably the roller follower on the detent pawl. Ckeck for excessive wear where the pawl follower engages the shift plate. :luigi:

Is there any chance that the parts in recall on the Rosso Mandello thread are the upper and lower shift plates (toothed wheels)??

6_speed_rescan.JPG

Guest vkerrigan

Al, et al,

The one that I replaced was the spring in the upper left of the diagram. I replaced the original with an aftermarket spring provided by Hank Blackstock in Oklahoma. FWIW, the original spring did not show any symptoms of cracking or degrading but peace of mind does have great value.

Happy Trails..........vkerrigan

Apparently, the real suspicious character is the spring at far left.

It became my theory that the spring at far right, if it were to weaken , would diminish the secure selection of gears.

With all this talk of broken springs, I decided to check on the availability of one (PN04235101) for a spare for the '02 Lemon, especially with the holiday season approaching. I was right, there's none in the country, it will have to come from Italy.

But the real partypooper is the price quoted, NZ$171.90 (about US$103). I saw an earlier posting that these springs cost around $10. Should I be suspicious about price gouging?

Teo Lamers lists three springs:

042382000000" SPRING GEARBOX V11SPORT 2.28eu $2.69 USD

042383000000" SPRING GEARBOX V11SPORT 2.28eu $2.69 USD

042392000000" SPRING GEARBOX V11SPORT 3.04eu $3.58 USD

Somehow, I don't think the spring is $171, so there must be an error in how it was looked up.

The Guzzi part no for the problem (pawl) spring is:

04 23 83 00

It is dirt cheap to buy.

If anyone is stuck with a broken spring & no dealer stock, I have a spare Guzzi spring (04 23 83 00, July 03) that I can send. Also, I think UK dealers have stock, Spares GB (UK + 0208 540 7155), Motomecca (UK + 01202 823 453) are both good, TLM in Holland also.

I have a (Blackstock?) spring sent me by Carl which I did not use, as the short arm appeared to me to be too short for secure retention of the spring. I am happy to mail this to anyone who is stuck.

There is no obvious, visible difference between these springs, or between them & the one that broke.

Cheers, KB, Cymru :sun: .

The Guzzi part no for the problem (pawl) spring is:

04 23 83 00

Good news. Armed with this new part number, I returned to the local agent. Still has to be imported from Italy (six weeks!) but a more realistic price of NZ$10. :)

I can only speculate what bit they were quoting on the previous number that Baldini provided......

Kiwi Dave,

I'm sorry, the first part no I gave was wrong. It was in fact the no for a special tool "for removings of large object from tight spaces in painless manner" ...I hope it has not caused you too much embarrassment :blink:

Sorry about that, KB, Cymru :cheese: