Cheaper wheel replacement and other things

callison

Front wheel:

I bought a Marchesini aluminum front wheel off of eBay. It was advertised as fitting a number of Japanese bikes. However, its just a generic 120x17 rim with two 6304-2RS bearings and a spacer along with a 90˚ air valve. Looks like a Ducati wheel (nicely polished). A V11 Sport axle slides through it quite nicely (thanks Al) so that leads me to believe that it will fit a V11 Sport with no alterations OTHER THAN - making a different spacer for the side of the wheel where the inner spacer protrudes beyond the surface of the disk carrier that the small shiny spacer slides over. In other words, these parts are more generic than I would have ever suspected. The Guzzi assembly has a weird inner spacer (a good design really) that requires the use of two different size bearings to accomodate it. It does not appear that this is the way that things have to be however. The internal spacer looks like it would be a constant width no matter who makes the bike, the surface of the bearings are just supposed to be nearly flush with the surface of the wheel casting where the bearings are mounted. The external spacer on the left side of the wheel centers the assembly within the fork assembly. The right side axle shoulder provides the other spacing. It appears to me that ANY Brembo or Marchesini rim are drop-ins as the width through the hub remains the same. How do I know this? The current crop of rims for V11 Sports are Brembos. The Sport 1100i's were Marchesini and they are fully interchangeable. And, they are both stock, off the shelf items from the wheel manufacturers and are not made for a specific motorcycle brand. This is a good thing. If Ducati foot pegs cost 1/3 of what MG charges and Ducati wheels are much cheaper (they are, but I don't remember how much), then replacing a front wheel has now become measurably cheaper. All you need is a new spacer. Too bad having a shaft drive precludes the same approach for the rear wheel. Unless one of the metric cruisers has a shaft drive and uses a Marchesini/Brembo rear wheel. I'm going to keep my eyes open...

Turn signals:

Buell turn signals fit fine, but get the correct ones as there are two different stalk sizes. Something too big and something just right. You want Buell part # Y0504.02A8. This is for the RH/Front, LH/rear (I just bought 4 of these because they were there, there is another part number for the other corners but I don't have it. Don't let that hold you back). On the V11 Sport you have to remove the headlight, then the turn signal mount extension, then the turn signal itself. The Buell part will slide right in with the appropriate lock washer and nut on the inside of the extension casting. I haven't done the rear ones yet, but it couldn't be any more difficult. The Buell unit is rubber, so it should not be as damage prone as the Guzzi one. BTW, these things are made in Italy, so why hasn't Moto Guzzi gotten a clue? Expect to spend a whopping $26 USD or so to replace all four units along with the nuts and lock washers.

Marchesini and Brembo wheels are the same in my opinion. The order number for the front wheel from centauro and v11 sport is the same as far as I know.

What may differ is the bearing size and the width were the brakes are mounted.

The guzzi forks are 210 mm wide, ducati has 205 as standard. The 916 front wheel has a bearing with 47mm outside, v11 is 52mm. Doen't mean it can't fit, but measure before buy. The disks from the v11 wheel are 120 mm apart.

Hmmm, My Buell turn signals went on fine on the rear but I had to drill and tap them into the front extenders.

I probably have the bigger ones.

I love having them rubber mounted. I have bumped them with my legs many times and getting the cover on an off the bike is much easier now.

One caveat, they do droop a little. Perhaps mine are bigger so there is more drooping, esp. after a few months of use.

The rubber mounting should improve bulb life, too.

Then this might have been a Ducati wheel. Things are becoming clearer now, the Guzzi bearings are

Front L # 6205-2RS (Dim: 25 x 52 x 15)

Front R # 6304-2RS (Dim: 20 x 52 x 15)

The extra 5 mm width on the front left Guzzi bearing would certainly be the difference between the Ducati fork width and the Guzzi fork width. What I don't understand here is that if the fork distances between the two makes are an even 5mm, why doesn't the Guzzi bearing halve that for 2.5 mm instead of 5? Are our wheels 2.5 mm offset? That doesn't make sense to me so my math or understanding must be in error somewhere. Of course, the Guzzi bearing could be set 2.5 mm deeper in the hub too. When my replacement brake disks come in next week (?) that I got off of eBay (Sport 1100i in England, hope they aren't warped...) for cheap (that's me. El Cheapo), I'll disassemble my bent front wheel from the accident and measure the bearing insert depth.

I measured the width of the hub for the rotor mounts at 121mm for both the wheel of unknown bike and the Sport 1100i wheel. After wondering why it was an odd mm increment, I switched my digital calipers to inches and got precisely 5 inches for the hub width. Gotta love this digital stuff. I do suppose that there is a possibility that the rotor carrier mount holes are not metric, so I'll need to check that too, but I'm not expecting any surprises. I'm pretty much convinced that the only differences for these wheels is the bearings each bike maker fits to them in accordance with their own fork width and design. Rotor carriers may too, be generic, but until I can get down to the Ducati shop and check the offset, I won't go far as to say they're the same. I would guess that the carrier offsets are available in several stock displacements from Brembo and that they aren't custom, just off the shelf choices for the designer of the bike. Wish I had access to a Brembo OEM parts list to check that out.

There are a bunch of different bearings in this range. For example:

61804 = 20 x 32 x 7

61904 = 20 x37 x 9

16004 = 20 x 42 x 8

6004 = 20 x 42 x 12

6204 = 20 x 47 x 14

6304 = 20 x 52 x 15

61805 = 25 x 37 x 7

61905 = 25 x 42 x 9

16005 = 25 x 47 x 8

6005 = 25 x 47 x 12

6205 = 25 x 52 x 15

6305 = 25 x 62 x 17

Only as you get into the larger cross section bearings do you have room for a seal in the bearing. Their selection of bearing was limited by the hole in the wheel. You might be able to substitute the 6205 for the 6304 and use a stepped axle.

If you use a wheel with a 47mm bore you must be aware of the difference in widths of the 6204 and the 6005 assuming it is available with seals.

There are several March wheels on eBay right now, one "3 spoke" off of a Laverda that looks like the OEM wheels on our bikes, and several of the 5 spoke versions.

Are the 5 spoke versions any lighter/better than the three spoke versions we have?

Yellow March Wheel on eBay

...are these forged versus cast?

al

These are cast. but I think a bit lighter. My forged pvm front is 1,5 kg lighter than the v11 wheel. But as shown in the picture, these wheels have a 4.25 inch wide center. The 999 wheels are forged, but have different sizes. And why a front where you can't get a matching rear?

Yeah I do like the PVM wheels, and EMA USA had a "sale" on them via eBay. I dropped them a note asking about availability:

>Al,

>

> we would need to order you Guzzi wheels. They come

>with everything you need. the "Y" forged design or

>the classic forged 5 spoke. Guzzi wheels run 1995 per

>set $1795 plus special hub for shaft drive surcharge

>of $185

>

>

Not tooooo bad, but still pricey. They confirmed that they do have a cush drive BTW...

al