Grease nipple a myth

galaxiid

On my '03 Cafe Sport I have greased the two rear unijoint grease nipples (on the driveshaft). No worries. This is straight forward. The front unijoint is suppossed to have a grease nipple. This topic is discussed in one thread here.

I went to much trouble to remove the three allen bolts that secure the cover over the front unijoint. This to move it back and around to try and locate a grease nipple. And does one exist? No, I could see nothing at all. So is this a myth or did MG drop the nipple off this model?

I can see if a nipple did exist then it would be incredibly difficult to access it. But I honestly searched and looked and mulled over this before deciding that no there is no front grease nipple on the unijoint. Am I right? Is there a thread someone can point me to that can resolve this issue once and for all?

Thanks in anticipation...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my '03 Cafe Sport I have greased the two rear unijoint grease nipples (on the driveshaft). No worries. This is straight forward. The front unijoint is suppossed to have a grease nipple. This topic is discussed in one thread here.

I went to much trouble to remove the three allen bolts that secure the cover over the front unijoint. This to move it back and around to try and locate a grease nipple. And does one exist? No, I could see nothing at all. So is this a myth or did MG drop the nipple off this model?

I can see if a nipple did exist then it would be incredibly difficult to access it. But I honestly searched and looked and mulled over this before deciding that no there is no front grease nipple on the unijoint. Am I right? Is there a thread someone can point me to that can resolve this issue once and for all?

Thanks in anticipation...

My 02 V11 Sport has 3 nipples, I know this because I took the driveshaft off to lube the front one. You feel between the two halves with your finger.

Roy

The nipple is probably hard to spot (grease, road grime and what not). It should be right between two ends of the uni-joint. It would be really weird if your drive shaft only had two .

But with :luigi: you can expect the unexpected! :mg:

The nipple is probably hard to spot (grease, road grime and what not). It should be right between two ends of the uni-joint. It would be really weird if your drive shaft only had two .

But with :luigi: you can expect the unexpected! :mg:

:stupid:

My cafe sport has 3 :homer:

My 02 Scura's got a grease nipple on the front UJ, and I suspect they all have. Undoing the UJ guard is no help getting to it or seeing it - you have to get at it from the back with an angled greasegun - or disassemble the whole thing.

My 02 Scura's got a grease nipple on the front UJ, and I suspect they all have. Undoing the UJ guard is no help getting to it or seeing it - you have to get at it from the back with an angled greasegun - or disassemble the whole thing.

That's 4 against one (me) so far so I'll take that you all win, the nipple must exist. I'm gonna stick my finger in there and feel for it. I really did have a good look for it with the cover off (or loose) and looking all over it with a torch. It's located in such a b of a position to find. I guess it's pretty critical to grease that's why I'm keen to get to it. Bike has 27000 km on it now.

Is there a decent thread here that describes the procedure with pics maybe? Not a thread starting with a disbeliever like myself.

Probably all I need to know is the easiest way to access it. I don't have a bike lift or stand so rather not get the rear wheeel off let alone the swingarm.

Chris (galaxiid)

That's 4 against one (me) so far so I'll take that you all win, the nipple must exist....

Probably all I need to know is the easiest way to access it. I don't have a bike lift or stand so rather not get the rear wheeel off let alone the swingarm.

Chris (galaxiid)

The numbers are less compelling than the integrated experience.

I suggest: get a stand, pull the wheel, grease the nipple. It's a head-scratcher even with the wheel off, but can be done. For more ideas, check this thread from the Refersence Section > How to... GREASY NIPS

You will need a stand for servicing this bike. You will need to service this bike if you wish it to remain roadworthy. Have fun !

I did mine about a month ago.

I tried in vain to get the nozzle onto the nipple and ended up taking the shaft out which involved dropping the swing arm.

When I finally got it out I discovered thet the nozzle was too big to fit between the universal halves. A few strokes with a file fixed that. I'm sure I could do it now with just the back wheel removed.

Caution, If you end up taking it apart be very carefull to line up the indent in the shafts where the pinch bolts go through otherwise they catch and strip. See the thread on the subject.

Have Fun

Roy

Grease.pdf

If you haven't found the zerk fitting yet, it may be that it went AWOL. Loose and backed out, removed but not replaced at a servicing, ??? Anyway, if you do see it, I've done mine by removing the rear wheel and rear drive/rear 1/2 of driveshaft as a unit. Then greased that front with a needle valve for the greasegun, I think it was about $10.00 at my local hardware store. Removing the swingarm is real good juju, though. My bearings were just starting to get notchy, nothing I thought I'd find at 15,000 miles. Wanta ride this one for a lonnnngggg time ya know, gotta show 'em the love...keep :luigi: ing.

...Removing the swingarm is real good juju, though. My bearings were just starting to get notchy, nothing I thought I'd find at 15,000 miles...

Mine were too, but I think the cause is the really, really tight fit for the bearing.

There's various discussions about greasing the front uj on this forum if you use the search facility. Here's one I started off a couple of years back: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13418 (Hope this works!)

Thanks for all the advice, haven't yet been back to the bike to check, savouring the moment. (Revenge is a dish best served cold????) Will get rear wheel off for starters, sounds like a point to begin. I love these puzzles MG built in to make life interesting.

Chris

Thanks for all the advice, haven't yet been back to the bike to check, savouring the moment. (Revenge is a dish best served cold????) Will get rear wheel off for starters, sounds like a point to begin. I love these puzzles MG built in to make life interesting.

Chris

Don't tell me, you're right handed?