Speedometer repair

docc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well. Today I joined the ranks of the busted speedometer club.

7100 miles.

Geezz, you're not having much luck with that bike, it must be the colour, I know a green one you could do a straight swap for. :race:

If it's just the cable, give me a call.

Give me a call if you're looking for an all day ride on Saturday.

Roy

Well. Today I joined the ranks of the busted speedometer club.

7100 miles.

Geezz, you're not having much luck with that bike, it must be the colour, I know a green one you could do a straight swap for. :race:

If it's just the cable, give me a call.

Give me a call if you're looking for an all day ride on Saturday.

Roy

sent you an e-mail, Roy.

I still owe you lunch.

Congratulations !!!!!! Now go spend about $300.00 & fix it. Price a new one or Google speedo repairs.

$ 206 Canadian pesos, not as bad as i thought.

I hope this one lasts a bit longer!

What year is your LeMans? White face gauges or the black (different cable set-up)?

Congratulations !!!!!! Now go spend about $300.00 & fix it. Price a new one or Google speedo repairs.

$ 206 Canadian pesos, not as bad as i thought.

I hope this one lasts a bit longer!

What year is your LeMans? White face gauges or the black (different cable set-up)?

It is a 2003, with the black face.

I had long thought the swinging needle was from the early version's bevel drives, but it appears the later, with the bent tubes, also wags.

I'll try to damp the cable in housing with the engine assembly lube and see what happens . . .

Update . . .

I haven't had a Veglia apart but some of the other speedos I have seen have the needle pivoted in the center of the spinning magnet. If the lube starts getting a bit dry or sticky it drags the needle around causing it to swing wildly, a kink in the inner cable also causes it to wind up then let go. Try spinning it with an electric drill that should sort out if it's a sticky bearing or cable.

Mine quit working a week ago, when I bought the bike the cable was chewed off at a kink in the outer. I never had any luck getting a replacement from the dealer so I purchased a generic car cable.

I would have replaced the outer but the car cable outer is not flexible like the original.

I took out the kink by stripping the jacket off and heated the outer with a propane torch. I simply re-covered it with plastic tape.

I flipped the outer around so the damaged portion is where it doesn't need to flex under the tank.

My first attempt at making a new inner lasted a few months then chewed off where I tried to file a square end.

After several dismal attempts to get a square end I finally came up with this method.

Heat the end until red hot to burn off the oil.

Once cool rub in some JB Weld (2 part epoxy metal replacement) then let it set overnight. The epoxy holds all the strands together for easy filing, solder would work too perhaps.

Hold the end horizontal in a vice so its just proud then file a flat about 10 mm long by 1mm wide.

Spin it round 90 degrees and file another flat. The vice holds it at a perfect 90 degrees.

Do that twice more and you have a perfect end. not square but circular with 4 flats.

I use this end at the gearbox because the cable there is straight so it doesn't have to flex, I'm sure heating it red hot didn't do the metal any good. :oldgit:

I had long thought the swinging needle was from the early version's bevel drives, but it appears the later, with the bent tubes, also wags.

I'll try to damp the cable in housing with the engine assembly lube and see what happens . . .

Docc, I think Guzzi moved away from the bevel drive because they had a tendency to self destruct. I'm on my 3rd!

Birddawg

Docc, I think Guzzi moved away from the bevel drive because they had a tendency to self destruct. I'm on my 3rd!

Birddawg

Definitely best to epoxy in the circular metal plate before it jumps ship and takes the internal gear with it. I use JB Weld just to be sure the little bugger knows I mean business.:glare: