SAE W/90 vs 80w-90 oil and 5w-40 vs 20w-50

Scura R

Hello

Why should(must?) my 2005 Scura R have 5w-40 in the engine when the other/erlier v11s use 20w-50 ?

And also, is there two different oils one can use for the trans: 80w-90 OR w90? Or is w90 just someone wrote it wrong?

Why should(must?) my 2005 Scura R have 5w-40 in the engine when the other/erlier v11s use 20w-50 ?

Because someone must think your Scura has one of the "hydro" motors [hydraulic lifters, which are self-adjusting, were experimented with by the factory on the '02-'03? Cali cruisers...]

The hydro motors require a special, non-"friction modified" super-wide grade multi-vis oil; there's only a couple of factory-approved options out there in the wild, both expensive, iirc. This goes hand-in-hand w/ Guzzi not doing their homework on the development of the hydro motors & staying w/ a flat tappet instead of taking the opportunity to go to a roller tappet, having to replace a bunch of grenaded motors under warranty, doing a massive recall & retrofit, & generally destroying buyer confidence in the hydro motors. Which is too bad, because once the upgrades were done, they were a pretty sweet motor as long as you use the special lubricant.

Your Scura will work fine on standard non-friction modified multi-vis. Read the oil threads to find one w/ a lot of ZDDP in it, buy an additive & spike your regular oil to bring it up to par. The ZDDP is key, since that's what keeps the verdammt flat tappets from wearing out in a hurry, & it has been progressively removed from motor oils the last 15 years or so to keep the catalytic converters in car exhausts from going T.U. too soon...

My manuals, I got two versions( manuals for 2003 Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, Sport, Cafe Sport, Coppa Italia, Ballabio-Scura R is not mentioned, they probably never made a manual with Scura R written in it) tell me to use 5w-40.

Other manuals for earlier( pre 2003) v11 I read on internet say 20w-50, same as for my 2001 jackal. The jackal manual also gave other options like 10w-40,10w-50,10w-60,15w-50, for different temperatures. I understand Sahara can use a thicker oil than Norway.

So, it`s possible the different recommendations is a coincident?

Not likely either coincidence or misprint. The trend in the auto industry has been toward lighter oils to increase overall assessment of the manufacturer's average fuel economy across their product range. I wonder if Guzzi has succumbed to this as well as I doubt the tolerances of a 2005 V11 motor differ from those of the prior years'.

Indeed, the ZDDP content is important, hence the specification for SG oils. A substitute would be diesel ratings CJ-4 or CI-4.

Friction modifiers in those big bores are a bad idea.