Fuel Tank removal

nanosecond

Rookie Mistake?

Have had a delve into the archives, but couldn't find a related topic (maybe it's because it's so easy?).

I was planning to remove my tank yesterday. I followed the workshop manual, but when I undid the RH hose clip I started leaking fuel. Further inspection revealed that the pressure adjuster does appear to be a tap (at least I could turn the lever at the base, but I'm not sure if this is the case.

I know the tank was off when the bike was serviced earlier in the year, so i'm assuming it's a simple job.

Just want to be able to do it without getting fuel all over the garage floor.

V11 Tenni btw

Thanks for any help and apologies if this IS a really stupid question!

Hi Nano,

My Mandello is fitted with a manual fuel tap and all you have to do is close it before you remove the fuel lines

Closing it is turning it clock wise.

Some fuel will drain from the disconnected pipes but not a great deal.

Starting from chassis no. KR 113816, a manual

type fuel tap has been fitted in the place of the

solenoid valve

this is from the workshop manual

(Moved here from "How to.")

So, Nano, do you have a manual petcock or electric (it's on the left side of the tank)?

After fitting my manual, I find it takes some firm winding to be sure the thing is fully closed which prevents very much leaking as the lines are disconnected.

The hardest pipe to remove I find is the braided steel covevered one that goes to the manual fuel tap.

If you lift the back of the tank up by about an inch/ inch and a half you will find you can get at it slightly better.

I've also used a flat blade screw driver to gentle tease the fuel pipe away from the alloy of the fuel tap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, folks.

I have done a search on this topic, but couldn't find a clear answer. So...

I have a 2003 Le Mans, but only have a manual for the earlier Sport. I am trying to remove the tank for the first time, but things on the bike don't look the same as they do in the manual. I have lifted the rear of the tank, and it looks like there are at least two (maybe three) hoses attached, as well as an electrical connection (sender, I assume). However, I'm not sure how exactly to disconnect these, and wonder if doing to will result in fuel leakage. Can anyone advise on how to disconnect things properly?

Many thanks,

Shaun

The fuel shouldn't come back out the pressure regulator so as long as you have the petcock on the left side closed all you should get is whats in the hose, pump and filter. Find a couple of small bungs to block the hose.

There are two sets of wires on mine, one for the petcock the other for the low fuel sensor.

Rou

First tell us if the tank has a rubber pad on top of the tank... If it does, it has the external pump. I know how this is removed...

You will have to shut off the fuel supply valve, disconnect the fuel line, remove the seat, remove the rear tank mounting bolt, pick up on the fuel tank and have someone disconnect the tank low fuel indicator plug. Pick up a little more and disconnect the two small vent hoses. I don't think the 03 has the other smog hoses and dump valve? If so disconnect them also. When you go back together splice the two small hoses together because they are vents only for the fuel cap and spillage.

p.s this is a two man operation!

First tell us if the tank has a rubber pad on top of the tank... If it does, it has the external pump. I know how this is removed...

You will have to shut off the fuel supply valve, disconnect the fuel line, remove the seat, remove the rear tank mounting bolt, pick up on the fuel tank and have someone disconnect the tank low fuel indicator plug. Pick up a little more and disconnect the two small vent hoses. I don't think the 03 has the other smog hoses and dump valve? If so disconnect them also. When you go back together splice the two small hoses together because they are vents only for the fuel cap and spillage.

i'm about remove my tank also, '02 le Mans with rubber pad on top of tank. i have a knurled round knob on the fuel petcock on left side of tank, this is the fuel shut off? mine will only turn about an eighth of a turn clockwise, then it won't turn anymore, i don't want to break it. how many revolutions should it turn 'til fuel shuts off? or am i doing something wrong?

thanks, stef

Thanks, gents.

No rubber pad on the tank, and I am pretty certain that it has an internal pump. I'm not sure it even has a petcock? Sorry, but I am relatively new to this bike!

Shaun

Thanks, gents.

No rubber pad on the tank, and I am pretty certain that it has an internal pump. I'm not sure it even has a petcock? Sorry, but I am relatively new to this bike!

Shaun

Well if it has the internal fuel pump you should take off the tank retaining bolt, lift the tank at the back and stick something to keep it up a couple of inches for easier access. You will have 2electric plugs to disconnect ( fiddly) then disconnect the QD,s on the fuel lines (even fiddlier) . The way i do it is keep your left hand on the red or white plastic connection coming out of the tank, then with your right hand push or pull collar on the fuel line til its loose, some petrol will leak out. When they are off lift the tank from the back and look underneath in the middle there should be a overfill hose to disconnect then lift it off. Just be careful with the connections. When you are putting it back on make sure the fuel lines are fully home.

Gary

Thanks, gents.

Shaun

Well if it has the internal fuel pump you should take off the tank retaining bolt, lift the tank at the back and stick something to keep it up a couple of inches for easier access. You will have 2electric plugs to disconnect ( fiddly) then disconnect the QD,s on the fuel lines (even fiddlier) . The way i do it is keep your left hand on the red or white plastic connection coming out of the tank, then with your right hand push or pull collar on the fuel line til its loose, some petrol will leak out. When they are off lift the tank from the back and look underneath in the middle there should be a overfill hose to disconnect then lift it off. Just be careful with the connections. When you are putting it back on make sure the fuel lines are fully home.

Gary

Thanks, Gary -- that's a big help. I used to ride Hinckley Triumphs, and recall that there were a lot of failures of the plastic QD connectors as they were really fragile. Many people replaced them with metal equivalents to get past this. I hope that this isn't necessary with the Guzzi parts, but wonder if anyone has done something similar? I know that Jaap mentions something in this thread above, but that seems more like an in-line solution rather than a direct replacement.

Off to take things apart!

Cheers,

Shaun

i'm about remove my tank also, '02 le Mans with rubber pad on top of tank. i have a knurled round knob on the fuel petcock on left side of tank, this is the fuel shut off? mine will only turn about an eighth of a turn clockwise, then it won't turn anymore, i don't want to break it. how many revolutions should it turn 'til fuel shuts off? or am i doing something wrong?

thanks, stef

Stef, yes that is the shutoff valve.It (the valve) requires a lot of turns to seat and open. Purchace a small brand of Channel-lock pliers to help you to seat the valve. Mine was a booger to work the first few times.