Tire time

Tom M

My Dunlop RoadSmarts are done at a little over 5k miles. I liked them and will consider another set, but I'd really like to find something with equivalent grip that will last a little longer. Is there such a tire out there now? I loved the handling of the Conti Road Attacks that I had before the Dunlops but they only lasted 4k miles. I went through a couple sets of Metz Z6 a few years back and they were good too, but the lack of tread in the middle of the rear made it hard to judge how many miles were left in them. I didn't like the stock Bridgestones.

Sooo...what's the best sport-touring tire out there these days for our bikes?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on all three of my Guzzi's at the moment. To early to say how many miles I will get out of them, but my mileage does not mean you would get the same anyway as roads you ride and how you ride them are part of the equation as are pressures.

What I can say is that the Michelins are the best tire I have tried yet. But they have a new Pure out that sounds even better. Unfortunately I had just bought three sets of the old tire and then 6 months later I see they have a new tire that sounds even better out.

But I am a Michelin fan. I have used others, from Dunlop to Continental to Metzler and Pirelli, and I am always happy to go back to Michelins.

I recently bought a 2002 LeMans, the PO had just installed a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada tires on the bike. I have never had any exprience with Pirelli on street bikes, so I had no expectations with these tires. Three thousand miles later, I'm very impressed. They still look about like new, handle well, and have no annoying quirks. When replacement time comes, I would consider another set if price is not too bad.

Had Conti Road Attacks which lasted around 6k and have now got Bridgestone BT023 http://www.bridgestone.eu/press/press-releases/all/2009/new-battlax-bt-023-a-%E2%80%9Cfull-spec%E2%80%9D-sport-touring-tyre

which have so far been great and if anything steer a bit quicker than the Contis and hold the road so much better in both wet and dry.

I recently bought a 2002 LeMans, the PO had just installed a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada tires on the bike. I have never had any exprience with Pirelli on street bikes, so I had no expectations with these tires. Three thousand miles later, I'm very impressed. They still look about like new, handle well, and have no annoying quirks. When replacement time comes, I would consider another set if price is not too bad.

yes! Pirelli Diablo Strada are very good tires! I was also very happy with them. Anyway, if you ride bit sporty or goes sometimes on track, try Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Just perfect tire for Guzzi. Rear tire last roughly 5000-6000km and handles like heaven!

cheers

Slavek

I also have the Pirelli Diablo Stradas...plenty of grip and good life (~5-6k for the back, a little more on the fronts). That said, I've never had anything else on there, so I can't say if there's anything better. They've never done anything unpredictable or scary, so I'll stick with them I think.

This seems to me to be a matter of where do you do the majority of your riding. I commute on my V11 quite a lot.

I have Conti Road Attacks right now and I'm not overly impressed one way or the other with the handling on the twisties but the life of the tire has been good. I am right under 7k on them now. Maybe I should go easier on them as I run the freeway mostly to work and back so it is where I see the most miles built up between weekend jaunts. They have definitely kept their profile better than the Pilot rear did with less of a flat spot to the tire.

My last set were Pilot Sports and handling was great. I went 6k on them although by 3k the rear was noticeably flat in the center.

I have just bought a new rear roadsmart. Last one was done at 3800 miles, same as the Z6,s i had before that. Wonder how people can get different mileages from there tyres. I run mine at 38psi rear and 36psi front.

Just switched to BT023's can't comment on life they've only done a 100kms or so. They do steer and grip quiet nicely the 016's I replaced always felt a bit tucky through the front end below 70kph I think its something about modern tyre on a bike with old geometery.

I have just bought a new rear roadsmart. Last one was done at 3800 miles, same as the Z6,s i had before that. Wonder how people can get different mileages from there tyres. I run mine at 38psi rear and 36psi front.

There are a number of factors, ranging from the roads you ride and the pavement they are paved with to the air pressure you run. I have seen the Blue ridge Parkway eat a set of tires (two sets actually), wearing them down to the cord, not in the center but on the sides, in less miles then I would have thought possible. I have seen people run air pressure too low, but also too high (doesn't hurt to check your gauge to be sure it is accurate). Either one seems to reduce tire mileage. Also, how much you weigh, as well as if you carry a passenger, and how hard you accelerate and decelerate factor into it. I am sure there is more that I missed, but I hope this helps.

I am very happy with Michelin Pilot Road 2, my first set lasted 12800 km. We have rough pavement here on the secondary roads and that is where I live. Stock sizes for the lemans 38-40 psi aft 32-36 forward. 90% touring 120-150 km/h bags and gear on. 2nd set this spring tried the Nitrogen option. I just put the wheels on as they came to me from the shop- felt awful till I spilled some air out. both ends were over inflated, once down to the above ranges the bike just sang, good in the wet and able to handle the limits of the machine in the dry. I have had similar experience with Bridgstone 021 as well on this bike. The Metz (Pirelli) Z6 however never gave me any confidence up front, surprising as they work beautifully on a bike 100 lbs lighter. There are only two wee little contact patches holding me on my line so my priorities are 1-performance, 2-mileage, 3-price. It is incredible the choices we have now and reading the reviews the sport/touring dual compound tyre is the sweet spot (unless you are at the track gnashing and fuming, clacking elbows and knees) Personally I am happy feeling the shift of my centre of gravity and the challenge in making this big baby transition smoothly on the country road. :2c: cheers

Those Angels are the replacement for the discontinued Diablo Stradas. I got 9500 miles out of my first set of D.S's, second set is on about 5000 now and are probably going to do about 9-10k again. Just rode hours in very heavy rain and the guy with me apparently told a few others that I tend to ride faster than he was comfortable with in the rain. I told him to try Pirellis, you would too! I do mostly commuting, and I have yet to be accused of a lazy throttle hand or timid braking by anyone who's rode with me. I will not even shop around for my next re-shoeing, the Angels will be next.

Tom, good to see you at Heath last weekend. I'm ready for some new tires too, on my 1200 Sport. I'm also thinking of trying the Pirelli Angels, I had the Diablo Strada's on my V11 Sport & BMW R1150RS and liked them. Last year at the Italian Meet in Sturbridge I think you recommended Bikeworx in Maynard, are they still a good source for tires? May try to take advantage of the sales tax holiday this weekend.