V11 Le Mans Reliability Question

windyducat

I doubt that anyone is going to say a Guzzi is as dependable as a Yamazuki. I will say that our local Japanese bike dealer has a full time driver who picks up stranded Goldwings, as well as other makes/models, to bring in for repairs to get them back on the road. I shudder to think what this dealer would do if a Guzzi rider needed this shops help. The guys at this shop would probably call me for help with it. They know me well. But this highlights the real issue: Can you work on your own bike? If not, maybe a Guzzi isn't the best choice. I guess that others on this forum, as well as me, are willing to tempt fate to have such a beautiful beast. I sold my perfectly good Yamaha FJR1300 to buy my V11 LeMans. What I got in the trade was the desire to ride what was in my garage, and to fire up my motorcycle habit. Bless this forum, using the info found here I have de-bugged my V11 to the extent possible, and have not had a failure since. I know, no guarantees. But then again, my dirt bike is a Husaberg, my car is a Jaguar XJS V12. I'm a glutton for punishment. I wonder if this forum should have a list of members willing to assist others while on the road?

maybe we have Stockholm Syndrome?

I would agree that the Duc will give you a nice balance of soul and reliability.Much larger dealer network,and they still made the bike up to 2? years ago.V11 hasn't been available in the US for 6 years,5 in Europe.Parts and dealers are getting scarcer as the years wear on,although Piaggio claims that service and parts will be #1 goal for the future .Ah,we'll see,...

Also own several Hondas and love my 80k ST1100 ,X-country,2-3k trips,two up ,no problemo and never broken down.Many think it's soulless but the quiet exhaust fools many.Tons o grunt of a 1100 transverse,shaft drive bike,sound familiar?

If you want something that will be a blast to ride for backroad blasting,short trips,day,overnight,with occasional stints of downtime in your garage trying to figure out MG wiring,waiting on parts,or fixing Grappa induced Mandello engineering,then the V11 is for you!

Just ride one. You might just find yourself grinning the entire time like I did the first time I rode a Guzzi. :race:

Other than that I can't really add much to what's already been said. If you don't mind doing a little wrenching, this forum as well as http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php and http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/ are all phenomenal resources!

• 6 months later...

there is no such thing as a bad guzzi( well almost) alot of them have niggles, just sort them out WHEN they happen ,otherwise you end up with x10 faults to fix rather than 1 or 2.

don't cut corners when working on them

don't use sh*t wire and connectors when doing electral work

do change the oils on time ( very cheap maintenence)

don't run components to the death

BUY AND THEN READ MR RICHARDSONS GUZZIOLOGY ( esp. the credo in the front )( if i ever meet him, i owe him lots of beer (english not that american slop))

do use good quality parts

when you work on them , do EVERYTHING, as belt,braces,and a bit of string.

....alot of them have niggles, just sort them out WHEN they happen ....

Or in some cases advisable BEFORE they happen.....

theone&only......did Guzzi ever acknowledge a problem with exploding Scura flywheels - have you come across one yet?

KB :sun:

I've had two Guzzis ('79 SP and the RM)...wife had to come with the pickup for the SP once when I broke a clutch cable (could have probably made it home, but why bother)...never (knock wood) didn't make it home with RM. Once you get things sorted from the prior owner, you should be in good shape. I am approaching 24K miles now, so I know there are things that need to be looked at seriously this summer when it gets to hot to ride.

The MGNOC used to have a pretty good list of Guzzi owners ready to assist around the US...I let my membership run down, so not sure where that stands now. I also think Buzzard has a good point that one or more local dealers probably know where to find one of us if someone needed assist...that would be the case for me with the BMW/Ducati dealer one town over--I know they have my email. Have fun! k

I don't know the particulars but a few (RM and Scurra) came w/a single plate clutch and don't seem to last as long and the old standby dual plate clutch.

I love mine for touring w/HB bags its a pleasure but I ussually leave the top box off, it's like a sail.

IMAG0248.jpg

My Rosso Corsa which was built in 2003 broke its gearbox return spring. Helen's V11 Sport which was built in 2001 has broken twice. When it happens (and you are normally stuck in 3rd or 4th gear) you can still ride the bike home to get it fixed. I now have two spare springs ready for next time.

I have 38,500 miles on my Rosso and its been very reliable so far. I dont think anything other than a sheared torque arm bolt has left me by the road.

I got bored with the winter weather yesterday and even fixed the cold weather idle lever so it works perfectly. The trick is to get the right spring for the job. I can actually set it at different rpm's and it will stay where I put it and not walk back down to idle.

I've owned mine for 6 years now and I'm still pretty happy with it. I would probably sell it if the price was right, but I know that once its gone I'd want it back.

I've had two Guzzis ('79 SP and the RM)...wife had to come with the pickup for the SP once when I broke a clutch cable (could have probably made it home, but why bother)...never (knock wood) didn't make it home with RM. Once you get things sorted from the prior owner, you should be in good shape. I am approaching 24K miles now, so I know there are things that need to be looked at seriously this summer when it gets to hot to ride.

The MGNOC used to have a pretty good list of Guzzi owners ready to assist around the US...I let my membership run down, so not sure where that stands now. I also think Buzzard has a good point that one or more local dealers probably know where to find one of us if someone needed assist...that would be the case for me with the BMW/Ducati dealer one town over--I know they have my email. Have fun! k

MGNOC does indeed still issue a booklet with names of people who are willing to help. I was actally surprised at how many names were listed, and I found it comforting to have along when I picked up my new-to-me '03 Le Mans for the 1500 mile ride home. Fortunately, the bike ran like a top, and I never did need any help.

Shaun

The MGNOC newsletter has gone paperless. I don't know if you can access the Member Directory from the website or not. For those here in the States, it is worth being a member.

What do you all think about parts availability in the ensuing years?

I've recently been considering what to leave in my garage and what should go.

I will pm you my address. You send everything to me and your problems are over !