front wheel bearing removal

bentfab

I know they are common bearings, everyone should have a set available even if you have no intention of changing them out yourself.

Lets start a list of the different bearings required so we can have them on hand. I tried a simple search but I couldn't see one.

Don't just go from memory, I know mine gets the bikes mixed up.

If you are about to or have recently changed a bearing list it here somewhere along with the year and model front or back, head race etc.

On all V11s the left side rear wheel bearing that fails often is 6204-2RSH,  47mm dia x 14 wide x 20 bore

For 2002 and earlier V11s with the stepped solid axle Marzocchis, the front wheel bearings are:

6205-2RS,  52mm dia x 15 wide x 25 bore

6304-2RS, 52mm dia x 15 wide x 20 bore

If I were installing new wheel bearings , I would pop ( practice on the old ones ) the dust seal off and add a small amount of hi-temp wheel bearing grease to the cage/roller assy. and install the dust seal . When you install it , make sure the disturbed dust seal portion goes inside so it will be sure to leave the undisturbed portion to the elements.

Tom, are you saying there are four different bearings on the one bike?

Sent from my shoe phone!

Yes if you include the needle bearing on the outside of the bevel box.  The '02 and earlier front wheel for Marz forked bikes has two different bearings due to the stepped axle.  The rear uses three.  Two 6204-2RSH roller bearings plus the needle bearing on the outside of the bevel box.  I don't have a number for the needle bearing because I haven't had to replace it.

I wonder if anybody has tried to modify the bearings to include a proper lip seal or even tapered rollers like the old Eldorado has, I'm sure the bearings on mine are original at 130,000 miles

Could be as good project for someone handy.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Which ones ? The answer will be probably not . To answer your fist question , the only thing you could do is pack a small amount of hi-temp wheel bearing grease into the roller bearing and run w / it . See my post above .

The first time I sought out wheel bearings for my Guzzi I went to an all-bike shop. The owner was shocked that Guzzi relied on just the bearing's own seal, he claimed that all bikes should have a lip seal, it seems to me it would be quite easy to add an extra one outside thus allowing for additional grease to be added to a 1RS.

As to the tapered rollers. they should last the life of the bike if they had a proper seal as above, they did it 40 years ago on the Ambo/Eldos