Belstaff, like Guzzi, is moving with the times

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody call Best Buy, some of the Geek Squad is missing. God, that is the ugliest clothing I've seen in a long time. People really pay for stuff like that? :vomit:

Lex

Highest fashion here, at the moment, is to look like a slightly tailored 1950s trials star.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&ProductID=17095&PCategoryID=23&RangeID=1

Back in 1980's I remember seeing a pop star sweating in a full Barbour trials suit at after gig party. He must've been warm, but least he would've been safe from splinters. In discussion with people into fashion clothes they'd often say "it's self expression, my way of expressing myself" - i always thought the opposite - it's a way of hiding yourself.

KB :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1980's I remember seeing a pop star sweating in a full Barbour trials suit at after gig party. He must've been warm, but least he would've been safe from splinters. In discussion with people into fashion clothes they'd often say "it's self expression, my way of expressing myself" - i always thought the opposite - it's a way of hiding yourself.

Speaking of Barbour, I was just in London for a visit and passed a Barbour shop. It seemed more of a fashion shop but they did play up the vintage biker angle.

A nice looking trials jacket with utterly no padding which, seemed to imply that men were made of iron back then.

They apparently had no need for the nanny state padding of today's biking kit :grin:

A nice looking trials jacket with utterly no padding which, seemed to imply that men were made of iron back then.

They apparently had no need for the nanny state padding of today's biking kit :grin:

Of course they didn't need padding: how fast are you moving in trials, 2? maybe 3 mph?.. :grin:

Besides, rider were made of iron back then, just like their motorcycles were! We riders of today are merely made of aluminum in comparison... :oldgit:

:thumbsup:

... Of course they didn't need padding: ....

nevertheless they were :grin:

Bud-Ekins-and-Steve-Mcqueen-650x487.jpg

That’s Steve McQueen and his stuntman pal, Bud Ekins during the 1964 International Six Day Trial motorcycle race, held in communist East Germany. Both Ekins and McQueen rode Triumph 650s, but the race ended badly for the actor when a spectator rode into his path causing a crash and wrecking the bike.

An excellent account of the ’64 ISDT can be found in the book Steve McQueen 40 Summers Ago.. . Hollywood Behind the Iron Curtain -by Rin Tanaka and Sean Kelly.

Image source: [Frank Melling via Motorcycle.com]

... but the race ended badly for the actor when a "spectator" rode into his path causing a crash and wrecking the bike.

There, fixed it for you! :grin: You know how the communists hated to lose to the West, & particularly the U.S.A, & weren't above ordering the f!ckup of the day on K.P. duty to put on civvies & "go take one for the team"... Or did you really buy that that all happened "accidentally?" ;)

... There, fixed it for you! :grin: ....

Skeeve, please edit your post and quote me correctly or don't quote me at all. It's no good style what you do here, regardless of the quote's content or what you want to say.

Thanks

hubert