Hope nothing was damaged

Greybeard

I wasn't trying to piss you (accept my apologies) off. The manual gauge will give you an accurate reading of what you have. Mine did the same thing over the summer. I replaced the sender, crimped the connector for a better grip and solved the problem.

I am sure Guzzi could have a much better sump system than what they have. The Steine-Dense (sp?) pan seems like the way to go. I am running a Roper plate in my bike.

Wouldn't it seem logical to ask why the pickup is in such a vulnerable position?

Well, yes, and the answer lies principally in cost. To move it elsewhere would of involved a pretty major re-design of various bits like the crankcase, something that the factory couldn't afford at the time. Far easier to design a system that could be hung off the sump spacer and add the 'broad' sump. This had two benefits, firstly it lifted the sump higher off the ground allowing the whole engine to be lowered and therefore allowing a lower centre of mass. Secondly it allowed the fitment of the 'Manhole' in the sump plate to allow access to the filter without removal of the sump, something that many owners had bitched and whined about for years.

Almost certainly all preliminary testing of the new desgn would of been done on a stationary test rig or on a dyno so oil surge would never of been a problem. It was only when it went into production and was being used hard on the road that the problem became apparent. The 'Broad Sump' was originally used on the 'Old' Hi-Cams, Daytonas and Centauros, with the five speed gearbox. Despite being more powerful than the average V11 they do not seem to have suffered as much from the pick-up exposure problem as V11's. Why? Not sure, but V11's certainly have lower first and second gears so acceleration from a standstill and therefore oil migration, will be more pronounced than on the earlier bikes.

While Guzzi have never officially acknowledged there was a problem it is interesting to note that in the publicity blurb issued when the 'Nuovo Hi-Cam' used in the current bikes was launched one of the things made mention of was the complete re-design of the oil pick-up and lubrication system which would 'Elliminate problems associated with the previous design' or some other such obfuscating twaddle. The new design has a pick-up closer to the floor of the sump, more central and there is a 'Dam' on the rearward side to help elliminate rearward oil surge. Make of that what you will but Nuovo Hi-Cams do not expose their pick-ups or exhibit the 'Fickering oil light of death'! The new engine's sump is also narrower and deeper neccesitating the lifting of the block in relation to the roadagain. Partly I would assume this would be because with the 'High Mount' alternator the centre of mass was going up again and it was decided they might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb but it would also mean a reduction in oil surge and allow a greater 'Depth' of oil above the pick-up. That though is another reason, along with the difference in wheelbase, that a V11 steers and changes direction quicker than a Griso. Swings and roundabouts.

Pete

I wasn't trying to piss you (accept my apologies) off. The manual gauge will give you an accurate reading of what you have. Mine did the same thing over the summer. I replaced the sender, crimped the connector for a better grip and solved the problem.

I am sure Guzzi could have a much better sump system than what they have. The Steine-Dense (sp?) pan seems like the way to go. I am running a Roper plate in my bike.

Nah, forget about it! :)

These things are Italian...we have to be passionate about them, eh? ;)

Frankly I'm not nuts about a mechanical gauge unless I can run an AN braided line and all my hot-rod friends use electrical gauges so...who knows?

I need now to make sure there's no swarf in the sump. :(

I'm dying to have a look in there too at that oil pickup.

Nah, forget about it! smile.gif

These things are Italian...we have to be passionate about them, eh? wink.gif

Frankly I'm not nuts about a mechanical gauge unless I can run an AN braided line and all my hot-rod friends use electrical gauges so...who knows?

I need now to make sure there's no swarf in the sump. sad.gif

I'm dying to have a look in there too at that oil pickup.

No, just attach the manual gauge temporarily. See what pressure is there and decide what to do.