Hope nothing was damaged

Greybeard

Just finished reading some old posts relative to the oil light blinking on, coming on dimly, etc. and I think I'm safe with my experience today as it sounds rather common.

These old hills up here in CT & Mass. can be long and frequent.

Somewhere on one of them my oil light came on dimly.

"WTF!?" asks I. "How longs THAT been on?"

Had plenty of oil when I left, with oil sitting on the ledge of the high oil mark of the dip stick while on the side stand.

So, I pulled over & stopped.

COULD NOT get the dip stick out! :huh2:

I carry some tools so a struggle with pliers finally got it out but, again, "WTF!!??"

Not cross threaded. Engine overheated & clamped down on it? Damn if I know. (Just ordered a aluminum dip stick anyway as I hate that stock one.)

But anyway, no untoward noises.

Late enough in the season I'll drop the sump, pan for gold and pray I strike out.

The REAL puzzler is the last 3/4 of a mile to my house is a long hill.

Off I started with my ass puckering some fierce.

The oil light went OUT and never lit up again as I climbed that hill!

Go figure.

Also reckon I should install the Roper plate as well.

Are they still available?

Ive never had the oil light come on while riding,but does seem like a common problem from what Ive read here for years.Probably no damage as you had correct level before you left and no leaks

Just got back from a ride in the Litchfield hills.Had no light come on,oh...,ya... ,had to ride the VFR as the Scura is down till I get the bad shifting corrected, :rolleyes:

I think I saw recently that Pete had some plates.Did you PM him?

You finally got that stick out and... what? Was there still the same level? Maybe it's just your pressure sensor acting up (well one can make a wish).

Far as I can tell, but I never get the same reading twice in the same day anyway!

Ive never had the oil light come on while riding,but does seem like a common problem from what Ive read here for years.Probably no damage as you had correct level before you left and no leaks

Just got back from a ride in the Litchfield hills.Had no light come on,oh...,ya... ,had to ride the VFR as the Scura is down till I get the bad shifting corrected, :rolleyes:

I think I saw recently that Pete had some plates.Did you PM him?

You weren't on rt 8 north of Winsted today, were you?

That was me on the side of the road expressing my affection for this bike. :oldgit::bbblll::angry:

I'll PM him shortly.

I'm thinking the level is best just above the high mark with the bike vertical and the stick screwed in. It's kind of a hassle to do it that way, but checking it on the side stand will over estimate your volume.

A wet pick up is a happy pick up . . .

You weren't on rt 8 north of Winsted today, were you?

That was me on the side of the road expressing my affection for this bike. :oldgit::bbblll::angry:

I'll PM him shortly.

Nope not me,didn't make it that far east.I stop for everyone that appears to be broken down on the side of the road,even Harleys :D

PS You may want to check out one of Ryland's oil pressure gauges.Very neat and gives peace of mind,....

http://www.motratech.com/MGP-G10.html

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8249

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8985

Are you running LEDs, they draw such little current any water around the switch will make the light come on.

Mine comes on after a wash or in the rain, i don't worry because I have a pressure gauge fitted.

Nope not me,didn't make it that far east.I stop for everyone that appears to be broken down on the side of the road,even Harleys :D

PS You may want to check out one of Ryland's oil pressure gauges.Very neat and gives peace of mind,....

http://www.motratech.com/MGP-G10.html

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8249

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8985

Oh, I hope so. My other bike is a '97 Sporty.

This spring it'll be a street tracker.

Yes a gage is the best idea.

Experience tells me to run the feed line through braided cover though.

Had a '67 Chevelle SS that anointed the ankles of my best bell bottoms after wearing through the line on a dash brace. :homer:

Are you running LEDs, they draw such little current any water around the switch will make the light come on.

Mine comes on after a wash or in the rain, i don't worry because I have a pressure gauge fitted.

Nope, no water anywhere and the light is the stock setup..

To the back of the sump then. Red light on while on the brakes would make more sense, definitely ;) If one thinks this topic is a problem for him then he could regard the RoP as the probably most easy and effective solution.

Hubert

To the back of the sump then. Red light on while on the brakes would make more sense, definitely ;) If one thinks this topic is a problem for him then he could regard the RoP as the probably most easy and effective solution.

Hubert

All 'er nothin' eh Hubert?

How about in the middle where it shouldn't ever get exposed if there's a decent amount of lube in there!?

I freely admit I've never seen the inside of the sump...until tomorrow.

Why don't you stop speculating and connect a manual pauge in place of the sending unit? You will find out more looking at that instrument than looking at our input...........

Why don't you stop speculating and connect a manual pauge in place of the sending unit? You will find out more looking at that instrument than looking at our input...........

I'll be gettin' to it, ok!?

Christ the thing only went off on me yesterday afternoon!

Just trying to have a civil conversation here and I wasn't having any problem with anyone's input until these last 2.

Wouldn't it seem logical to ask why the pickup is in such a vulnerable position?