transmission problem, Pawl spring

Guest david scott

Guest david scott

Doc, called Atlanta ducati, triumph, moto guzzi. Paul is out sick, Guy I talked to said they couldnt take my bike till December, and wanted me to leave the bike there. I would be traveling 150 mi one way so requested a time when I could bring it, wait on it and take it home. Couldnt commit to that and took my name and number. Was nice enough, but said he didnt know whether guzzi would cover the cost or not " all we can do is submit it and see ". Will try the fix myself when I get the oklahoma spring and get my much smarter brother to help me with the fiddling factor. guzzed in alabama :bier:

No problem in removing the side plate while in gear, and then you can move the selector forks into the neutral position before replacing the side plate (rotate the rear wheel to confirm neutral - if the plate doesn't go on you've got a false neutral.). BTW, my spring broke on the straight section - definitely a material problem....

I was not made aware of any recall on the Scura in the UK...?

Guest captain nemo

OK, I think I better order this spring. Do I just order from Moto International? Is 'Bonnie' someone from the company? What do I ask for exactly? And, if anyone here has one to sell, email me so I can send you some money. Thanks.

This site is starting to freak me out. So far so good, but the quality control seems pretty dicey. Maybe I should trade in for the Buell while it still runs! <_< One thing I like about the Buell is that parts are cheap and there is a ton of innovation going on there.

I've known about all these sorts of problems years ago when I became an addict to the Guzz, but I still like to hope that Aprilia will change this all around. I wish I could see two years down the road in the crystal ball to see if Guzzi will ever be worth what they ask for them. I'm just seeing too many reports of the must idiotic malfunctions. Well, maybe this will help me learn basic mechanics and wrenching. You see, all I ever wanted to do in the past was ride fast! :wacko:

Guest david scott

Got the new spring in the transmission. When you wind it up hauling ass it shifts fine in all gears, but when you ease along shifting in third you have to pull up on gear shift twice to get it in third. Also neutral light coming on between some of the other gears now. What do ya'll think.

Guest david scott

Update. Got the two springs from Oklahoma yesterday. If a good wrench can do this switch will little problem, I would rate me as a poor wrench. Got the plate off, It is tight with the glue but finally broke loose. spring piece fell out when we removed the plate. Got the spring replaced. Would recommend scoring the gears while in the neutral postion before taking the gears off. This helped us on reassembly. Lot of fiddling to get the plate back on and the bike shifting properly. We were able to get the plate back on and it still not be lined up with the dogs correctly. When we got it back together after fooling around with it for 5 hours, (dealer supposedly can do in Two) it did not shift well. But after riding and shifting for a while got back to normal. The spring I received had a better bending radius (less acute) fit well and did the trick. Doubt I would buy another spring from another source till this turned out to fail. Looks better. But the only feedback was from hank, two years without failure. For clarity the "pawl spring" and the "return spring" are the same springs. The only failure of any of the three springs I can determine from this site. Glad to have the guzzi running again and not just sitting in the carport disgusting me. My thanks to you guys especially KB, the step by step was perfect and the only way we could have done it. Regards David :bier:

Also neutral light coming on between some of the other gears now.

Anyone understand the neutral switch action to explain how this could be?

My switch is failing when cold, (can't warm the motor on the side stand) but is faultless once the motor/gearbox warms up. Seemed to start this behaviour immediately after a gearbox oil change, but this might have been a coincidence. I was suspecting a faulty switch, but perhaps there's more to it .....

I don't have the solution necessarily, but I have heard and personally experienced that leaving the bike parked in neutral tends to make the switch stick much more often. Instead if you leave the bike in gear while parked, the switch plunger is not depressed for a long period of time and it workes more reliably.

I'm not sure if this will fix your issue, but it did clear up the "sticky neutral switch" on my bike.

al

For clarity the "pawl spring" and the "return spring" are the same springs.

Well, I think there's a little more to it . . .

Over on theGEARBOX SPRING thread there is a diagram of the 'preselector mechanism' from the shop manual. We've been refering to the springs as 'left, center and right.'

The faulty 2002 spring is certainly the left spring which engages the pawl that pulls the selector into the next gear. When it's tab breaks, you are stuck in the gear you are in.

The center spring is the 'return spring' which recenters the foot lever after each shift. Apparently if the pawl spring breaks this center spring will still not return the lever. There are no reports of the center (return) spring actually failing.

The 'right ' spring indexes another pawl to firmly engage each gear. As any of you remove the side plate, please inspect carefully the engagement follower and the detents in the shift plate ( MG: toothed wheel) for excessive wear. There are numerous reports of the 6-speed developing 'false neutral' or 'missing gears' which could be attributed to the failure of the right spring or engagement of the index follower.

'There is the world's foremost expert on the guzzi 6-speed and it are us.' :mg:

• 2 months later...

Interesting, that this should come up. I ride the only Tenni in Ireland(actually the only v11 I think), And the spring broke while crossing the Austrian/slovenian border in the middle of a 7000 mile tour of Europe. The bike was 5 weeks old and hadn.t missed a beat up to that point. Luckily for me The nearest town had a scooter dealership who knew his way around guzzis, and I was on the road again in 2 days, otherwise I was hooped. There was a vague mention of the warranty covering repairs, but 15 months later ,and I've heard nothing.

I haven't heard of any warranty covering the spring breakage. In fact the 2002 and newer are not in the recall for the gearbox.

I wonder how the easyern european wrench fixed your shifter??

You didn't have to rent an apartment there while the spring was shipped in? <_>

Interesting, that this should come up. I ride the only Tenni in Ireland(actually the only v11 I think), And the spring broke while crossing the Austrian/slovenian border in the middle of a 7000 mile tour of Europe. The bike was 5 weeks old and hadn.t missed a beat up to that point.

As a matter of interest, where and when did you buy your v.11?

How did it (and you) cope with the big tour, apart from the spring problem?

I bought the bike from the nice people in the Italian Moyorcycle Company in Exeter. The odometer stopped working and was fixed at the 1000 mile service, but the trip counter died not long afterwards.

The return spring was the only thing that hit me in the middle of the trip. I'm not a tech-head so had no idea what the problem was, except I couldn't get out of second. This happened literally as I was in the queue to cross the border to Slovenia. Once on the other side, realising I couldn't sort it myself, I broke a whole bunch of laws and sneaked back into Austria as I reckoned I'd be better off there.

The AA picked me up, and Brought me to Villach, a nice little town nearby ,which just happened to have a scooter dealer around the corner from the hotel I was brought to that did a (very small) sideline in Guzzis. The bike broke on Sunday and I was back on the road Tuesday, whether due to Austrian efficiency or just luck I don't know. If you ever end up there,check out the scottish pub. It has a massive Guzzi sign on the wall, and a bored scouser serving yummy local beer that goes down all too easily!

The bike was fine for the rest of the trip(7000 miles, 4 weeks, down to Croatia and back) Except for the odd "hiccup" at high revs every now and again ( like flipping the kill switch) that got worse towards the end. It was serviced again in Exeter on the return and they couldn't figure it out. We thought dirty fuel, no, the fuel injection mapping was checked, no. In the end someone noticed part of the fuelling system had come loose, and the problem went away. I have a feeling my baglux tankbag had been anchored to some thing it shouldn't have, and after a month of carrying the abus granite lock had pulled something loose, but to be honest it's a bit of a mystery.

Works fine now, though.

I had been wondering if there's a dealer in Dublin that you had got it from.

I have been in Ljubliana: Slovenia looked like a fantastic country to tour in. From a distance anyway, the mountains and forests looked beautiful.

I think I'll try to get a couple of days before or after the V11UK weekend to ride around the Welsh mountains.