Tyres yet again

Murray

I know its just about been done to death but with the constant evolving of the avalible products its hard to settle on a conbination. I was a great advocate of the bridgestone 010/020 conbination I found however the 010 scolloped really badly towards the end of its life I then switch to a pirelli EVO on the front which served well and wore well but was a bit more expensive and required a few extra pounds in it to work properly. I had the theroy that half the 010's problem was the tread pattern and when I found that the GSXR's were fitted with a 011 as standard which was supposedly a 010 with a different tread patten I though i had it sussed.

This tyre is now down to the tread limiters on the sides and I con't remeber exactly when i fitted it however I am sure they havn't lasted anywhere near what the 010's did. Reading the manufactueres blurb replacement for the 010 (012's) is built for the newer more modern motorcycle (read lighter with front end bias) great except I don't own one It also has a center line and I suspect will have the same problem as the 010's looking at the tread pattern.

Where to go from here?? The 011 will slide when provoked I'm not sure this is cause the tyre has gone off or the moron on the throttle is pushing it harder I suspect both to its credit its very very predictable to the piont I am using the throttle to run the bike wide on big sweepers. Its rolling into summer here an I am not toally opposed to buy a super sticky for the season. So what have people got and what do they think of them? Was looking at a Michlen Pilot sport H2 which probally would be nice but I don't want something that will evaporate in 2000 kms 5-8000 kms would be marginally acceptable if superbe grip was avalble so has anyone had anything to do with the pirelli Diablo's? Michelen H2's Bridgestone 012's Dunlops whatever they make 208's? on Guzzi's or heavier sports bikes? Anyone have a definative idea where the 011 fits into the scheme of things I think its quiet a bit softer than I thought and probally softer than the 010. Probally an extermely important factor is the predicatable slide Michlens reputation isn't that good in this department. The bike is a carbed 1100 sport which means I am pretty well screwed for rear tyre chioce but that seems to be holding up pretty well its the front thats struggling.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on a third set of just 010 (160/60 rear) and have no problem with scalloping whatsoever, excellent grip and handling, quite acceptable longevity (although the wear is not consideration for me at all).

Did you ever try 010 front AND rear, it means no mixing? Don't you think that might be a simple solution of your quest?

Sometimes the practice defies any theory, no matter how logical.

I had Pirelli Diablos mounted. I was pleased with their grip. A little slow on the turn in but I never had any "moments" with them. However, I only got 4500 miles out of the rear tire & that doesn't suit my touring needs so, I've gone to a Pirelli Scorpion sport touring tire. So far I can't notice a difference.

I am on a third set of just 010 (160/60 rear) and have no problem with scalloping whatsoever, excellent grip and handling, quite acceptable longevity (although the wear is not consideration for me at all).

Did you ever try 010 front AND rear, it means no mixing? Don't you think that might be a simple solution of your quest?

Sometimes the practice defies any theory, no matter how logical.

The 010's are no longer avalible, the carbed 1100 sport has a 18 inch rear rim and the only tyre's in the bridgestone range are the 020's and what ever evil bit of plastic the sell for touring in this size. I have only ever match the tyres on this bike once. Never ever again! The front tyre is the one I am currently chasing the rear grips quiet well.

I had the same results with the 010's,withf heavy cupping on the sides. The tire was only half worn in the center but I could feel the cupping when pushing the bike hard in turns.

I like both the Metzeler Sportec M1 and my new love,the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. They feel as compliant as the Sportecs but with better stick! :thumbsup:

Mike

All who experience bad wear/handling ; is it possible that suspension is not set properly up?

I know that the original tires on my bike (BT57?) scalopped badly but that was on factory settings and springs which sucked.

I have been through the static sag correct springs capper I was pushing a few other people to do it a while back one guy did dunno about the rest. I think (rare I know!) that the current tyres are been designed to work n the lastest crop of super sport machines funny that. Ie light with front end whieght bias and a relatively steep steering geometery. Anyone who wants to ride overwieght underpowered throwbacks at the limit are clearly insane and will not be catered for, well not as bad as all that but we have to be a bit more cirumspect about what we choose for best results.

I hate to see people chase the "cupping problem" on front tires. A good friend of mine owns Arizona Motorcycle Tire Company and explained the front tire wear situation to a few of us. The front wheel, unlike the back, is never under power forces, only under braking forces. If you look at the wear pattern you can plainly see the direction of wear is from the stopping force. If you want to see a front tire w/no wear just look at the front tire of a chopper with no front brakes..the tire is perfect! I think that if you have a bike that handles well, feels good at high speed and the only complaint is some cupping on the tire you may be chasing your tail to try and correct it.

Mike

IBA#15554

The Bridgestones tread pattern causes the cupping. While it may be true that a correctly set up suspension may eliminate it, the Pirelli and Metzeler patterns DO eliminate it.

The problem is the angle of the tread groove.

This is not to undermine the importance of proper suspension set up which may also reduce tire wear in general and save big bucks in the long run.

JAnusz, what did you do to improve your suspension?

I just replaced my BT010 front (so they are still available), with another (got just over 15,000 km out of the previous one). It was cupped towards the end of its life, but still performed ok so I don't worry about the cupping. It's a great tire.

Gio

PS - I run 33 psi in the front (and a 160/60 BT-010 w 38 psi in the rear).

I just replaced my moderately cupped 020 front tire (running 34-36 psi most of the time) with a Michelin PIlot Road, and I'm not a happy camper. My rear tire looks nearly perfect (at 5500 miles), with plenty of tread left, so I just couldn't justify scrapping it for a new one. But the combo of Pilot Road in front and 020 in back leaves the bike feeling shaky and uncomfortable in corners, which is really discouraging. With the 020 front, the bike felt perfect and planted, but now it's making me back way off on corner speeds for fear of a tire breaking loose. I chose to go with a different brand of tire because seeing the 020 cupped and useless after just 5000 miles of moderate riding seemed pretty lame, particularly when the rear looks so good in comparison.

I'm planning on experimenting with different tire pressures to see if I can reduce the unsettled feeling (and thus avoid having to replace either tire), but I'd appreciate any feedback any of you have about what I could do to bring the bike back to its 020-inspired perfect handling (short of just buying another 020, of course).

Ian,

I must say I just took Pilot Roads off my Sport after 2000 miles. After the bike laid down from traction loss I could never trust the hard compound again. I was running 37 psi which you could lower for a better footprint but I'd be nervous. I certainly wouldn't exceed the Guzzi recommended pressure ( 33.5-35.5 front on a sport).

Yet, if you get the pressure low enough for a good bite the thing will probably cup like the rest of them.

(Pilot Road aka Chosen tire of the Tarmac Rub-Club) :moon: