Tyres yet again

Murray

I did run a Pirelli EVO (no longer avalible) on the front of my bike normally I ran the tyre preasures at around 34F 36-38R to get the Pirelli to steer right it required a few more PSI in it it did however wear very very evenly. I went down to one of the local tyre guys and even he said the 020 had a reputation for cupping. The pilot road strikes me as a very similar compund to the 020. On the 1100 sport I found matching the compunds proved to be very unsettling so now if I run a sports touring tyre like the 020 on the rear (with the 18 inch rim there is little to no chioce) I run at least a sports tyre or even a proddy race compund on the front. Michelins I am not a bit fan of but thats probally more personel preferance than anything else. Its rolling into to summer here at the moment and we tend to do some more ethusiastic rides so I think I'll try really sticky one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... of course, mixing tire manufacturers, or even models within a brand, can have some unanticipated and often undesireable effects. I suspect your description of feeling "shaky and uncomfortable" is related to the different profiles between the Michelin and Bridgestone.

My 020s are fine so far, but when I do replace them I'll probably go for the 010/020 option many folks on the Sport Touring.net Forum have gone with. It seems to be a very popular combination for both performance and durability.

al

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of mixing tires, but I didn't want to go with another 020 just to get 5k miles out of it before it was cupped beyond usability. The way I ride, I should be able to get 7-10k miles out of a front tire, really. By the same token, the 020 on the rear was and is in fine shape, so I'm loathe to replace it -- it looks like it's good for another 5k, at least.

I guess I need to look into other tires or just bite the bullet and put another cup-worthy 020 on the front.

Al, what's the 010/020 combo you're talking about -- do they put the 010 on the front? Does that end up being a stable combo on these bikes?

Hmm, cool. I wonder if the 010 would get better mileage, given the cupping of the 020? I hadn't considered the 010, since what I'm really interested in is good mileage: I've never had a tire threaten to slip on me, and I've ridden on some skanky tires... But it would certainly be interesting to have some nice sticky rubber out front...

. The pilot road strikes me as a very similar compund to the 020.

Just from observing the tire wear on my 28,000 mile sport and the Dunlop 220 on the VFR ( same weight, comparable tire sizes) , the Pilot Road is significantly harder than the BT020 which was a little harder than the Dunlop 205 . The Dunlop 220 is much softer than the 205 it was designed to replace but still nothing like a Pirelli Dragon Corsa or other true sport tire.

After the P'road gave way in the right hander ( hey, I only needed that extra traction for just an instant), I've given up on wanting more mileage from a tire. No more elevated tire pressures or hard compounds ( especially on the front).

I'd rather replace the tires with the oil than be sourcing parts for months. Oh, and did I say my insurance went up? :bbblll:

In a recent discussion on the swedish sportbike forum,

which includes a large part of the racing community, the most recommended tyres where

Metzeler RennSports, Pirelli Diablo Corsa and Dragon SuperCorsa.

Not the tyres for milage but with premium grip.

Many buys used race tires, likes Pirelli SCs, cheap

and use runs a whole seson on a couple of sets.

i run with DRAGON SUPER CORSA on my super 4 , just perfect

they are still perfect after 1400 km (but riding not too strong as i made the runnin in). Front supercorsa "normal" rear "SC 3" (sc1 is softer, sc 2 medium ...)

Now temperature is around 4-6 ° celsius but never mind, they go in temperature in few kilometers and you can run strong :wub:

pressure : on the road front 2.1 rear 2.3

I have now 'pre' order for next summer a Diablo Corsa set :bike:

Guest dkgross

what Metzelers are available for our bikes? I've always had the 880s on my cruisers and loved them...I'm not anywhere near as concerned about getting an extra few thousand miles out of a set of tires as I am having the best traction/ride available. I don't 'over ride' my bike, but I do like to have fun with her...

Metzeler is owned by Pirelli so much of the technology is shared

between the companies:

RennSport RS1/2/3:

pure race tyres (like Pirelli Super Corsa 1/2/3)

RennSports:

"Road legal racing tyre for use on public roads"

(very similar to Pirelli Dragon Corsa or Diablo Corsa)

SportTec M-1s:

"Introducing sheer power for supersport machines, the SPORTEC M-1 is a revolutionary development for high speed fun..."

(very similar to Pirelli Dragon or Diablo)

Any of these should be OK.

Pirelli Diablo is the newest and most modern of these.

SportTecs etc has a bit better milage and more thread for

better grip in wet conditions, RennSports / Corsas has

supergrip on dry tarmac.

Murray, according to Bridgestone USA (in the shape of Bob Graham), the BT010s are still in production. I asked him if they were out of production in an email, and he sent this reply:

"The BT010 is still readily available."

Admittedly, that doesn't say, "they're still being made" but it also doesn't indicate that anyone should have any trouble getting hold of them for now...

Yep, AFAIK in the USA the 010 tire is still available.... at least I hope so as it's extremely popular over here.

Interesting that you note the the Rennsports though as on one of the lists over here, someone mentioned how much they liked that tire, but that it was no longer available?? I have no idea...

al