Does Your Motorcycle Sing?

I've always been grateful to my older brother for many things, but definitely for interesting me in motorcycles. His SR500 single set the hook and twenty years on, the crisp ring of air cooled cylinders is music to my whole soul.

Recently, he asked me how others feel about the song they might hear on the road. Here's what he told me:

Does your motorcycle sing? I swear mine do. I've got an '81 Yamaha SR500 that belts out Springsteen's "Born to Run" at the top of its lone lung at anything over 4000 rpm. Below that, it thinks its Barry White, and who am I to argue? But get it out on the open road, run it up through the gears and before you know it, the fool thing thinks it's The Boss. I don't mind. It's kind of cool. Keeps me looking for fast roads. Now, the funny thing is, I have two bikes, and they are very different beasts. The second machine in the garage is a '79 Vespa P200E. Now, before you give up and whine that it's just a scooter, let me remind you that it is a 200cc single cylinder machine with Ducati solid-state ignition, a four-speed manual transmission and the ability to pull some very serious wheelstands, even with the sidecar. Even with someone in the sidecar. Got yer attention now? This one, at 40 mph and above, will offer up a fair rendition of Shiller's "Ode to Joy", and I have no idea why. I was expecting Italian opera- something by Verde- but no. At speed it gives you the last movement of Beethoven's Dreaded Ninth Symphony with full chorus. Go figure. I like it when bikes sing, and I like to keep my bikes happy. Get 'em out on the open road and let them put those vocal chords to the test. What would you like to hear?

Hmmm. I must be up too early.

From hibernation, or what? :) Honestly, each time I watch him sing I'm more convinced that this is an exact match. The more as it comes without any huge orchestra in the background :)

hubert

Great topic! For the corners after coffee it would have to be The Cult's "She sells Sanctuary", Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion", Rush "Tom Sawyer". For those days that go on too long- Bob Segers "Turn the Page" or Tragically Hip's "100th Meridian".

For the upper region- going from 4th to 6th the music gets left behind in deference to the intake roar and the meld of man and machine. When we come back down again the song pulls up alongside again.

Yeah, she sings alright! :thumbsup::D

Have you posted him or this video clip before ?

No, it's new. A good enough rendition of Blind Willie McTell.

Mind you, I have posted about a brokedown engine before.

When I approach home from a ride, the last kilometer or so is limited to 30 and 50 km/h through the tiny town I live in. That speed limit I always obey, and usually running at lower revs than ever elsewhere, on a high gear. I laugh out loud every time because for some reason at that moment the bike sounds EXACTLY like a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower. Spot on. And I can't understand why, the engines are different in many ways even apart from the number of cylinders. And I don't even have the cam mr Roper referred to as the lawnmower cam! :P

Have you posted him or this video clip before ?

No, it's new. A good enough rendition of Blind Willie McTell.

Mind you, I have posted about a brokedown engine before.

Brokedown, as in "song" or the succubus Griso ?