(Down through Down for) New Year New View

belfastguzzi

Been rather pre-occupied with some things since Christmas, but wanted to get out before the end of Jan, to mark the start of the New Year.

First Part of Jan was Big Snow.

5334777444_3e999c30a8_z.jpg

That's gone now and on Sunday past, the sun peeked out, slowly, faintly.

I had originally hoped to go to the most northerly point in Northern Ireland and then on to the most northerly in Ireland, as a New Year destination. That's what we did on the Guzzi meet last May, Ulster 2: Ballintoy and then Malin Head, Inishowen.

Short days and other things were against that. Plan B was to go to the Sperrin Mountains and do some new back roads, as in the Gaps and Passes thread. Organising a few local bikers for the event was as easy as pulling your own teeth.

I went for Plan C, which was to go to a new, unfrequented hill track for a new view of the Mourne mountains (remember Spelga etc, Guzzi Ulster 1?). Then on, along the sea coast, to the most southerly point of County Down and Northern Ireland, at Greencastle/Cranfield.

Half a dozen people turned up at the meet point and 7 people had a very enjoyable day (as we met 1 more in Newcastle, under the Mournes).

Sorry, no Guzzi photos – it's about being out on a bike, at the start of the year, whatever.

The start of 2011 riding

The outcome of a plan for a New Year Destination

First fine morning, with brightening sun and drying roads:

Part 1) The Temple > Saintfield > Ballynahinch > Castlewellan > Hilltown >

Ballyvally Mountain/Carnadranna

for a new view beyond Grugganskeagh to the Mourne Mountains (looking west to Rocky Mtn, Hen Mtn etc)

5361734384_c71c6e1379.jpg

5361735112_ae30cdd9bb.jpg

5361123793_8df3279ca4_z.jpg

5361124743_ca40d336bb_z.jpg

5361737576_e58a50c2e8.jpg

5361738274_e3f22a5de7_z.jpg

5361127469_350b023b3a_z.jpg

5361741010_f8d5392609.jpg

5361129851_b276cc2f2b.jpg

5361130609_43eba63c6f_z.jpg

Part 2) > the sea by Rostrevor > Greencastle / Cranfield

the most southerly point of Northern Ireland

> Kilkeel > Newcastle

5361745416_f7840f21a4.jpg

5361746800_694844892a_z.jpg

5361135673_32b180a86f_z.jpg

5361748284_b3fbf21e5a.jpg

5361137069_bb54108183.jpg

5361137743_58701461de.jpg

5361138435_b7f6a6c868.jpg

5361751186_95750ac699.jpg

5361751848_c0fc3274b2.jpg

"I think tyres are ded gud, do you think tyres r gud?"

"Yeah, me and my mate got black ones."

"I like the way they spin round n round."

"Yeah, beezer."

5361140657_f96039f17b.jpg

5361753328_b9c97537a0.jpg

then a couple of routes home

mostly on a good riding route north west by Banbridge

and I went chasing with the 1198, north east on a good ol' route by Downpatrick and Killyleagh, up the west side of Strangford Lough

Very nice photographs but.............................WHERE ARE THE GUZZIS?

:huh:

As I said in the first post: 'Sorry, no Guzzi photos – it's about being out on a bike, at the start of the year...'

Travel and being out on the road to somewhere, through somewhere, doesn't always have to be on a Guzzi. I think this sub forum is more about the The Place and The Experience, rather than about having taken a Guzzi somewhere. This time I chose not to take the Guzzi, though almost all my other photos and topics here in this sub forum do feature my and others' MGs. There are times when other bikes do the job just as well or better, or just differently. Plus, the theme of my thread is about doing something different, for the New Year. There are also times when other riders provide a refreshing perspective and experience. I've no interest in being buried in a stultifying Guzzi clique. I can see plenty of that and I'll avoid it, or reduce the dose.

Sorry I did not read that right ...

I understand, I also own several bikes of different brands but I prefer to use this forum to tell of traveling Guzzi, if I can.

I do not think it is stultifying or expire on a Guzzi clique, anyway. :mg:

I prefer to use this forum to tell of traveling Guzzi, if I can. :mg:

Yes, absolutely right Remo, I agree.

And thanks for the response, in the first place! As has been said quite a lot, the Forum is very quiet because people don't post, so your reply provided a way to start an interesting discussion. At least I thought it could be interesting. :wacko::homer: The world doesn't always agree. :D

My simple thought is: if we have run short on things to say about V11s, why not post on motorcyling experiences generally - occasionally if there is a reason?

I wanted to have a ride to mark the start of the New 2011 Year. I didn't originally intend to post about it here, as there was no V11 motorbike content

– but with the lack of other new topic posting, I thought I would....

:race:

...if we have run short on things to say about V11s, why not post on motorcyling experiences generally - occasionally, if there is a reason?..

:thumbsup:

I guess the way the board is perceived is governed by it's model specific name - but it's never been as narrow focused or cliquey as a lot of others - there's always been plenty discussion only loosely related to V11 or Guzzi or even M/C's. Long may it continue.

KB :sun:

Unfortunately it is true.

Many friends have sold their V11, not many have bought another.

The poetry of a motorcycle so real is ending?

I think we are losing a lot of passion for this model, due to acquisitions and new models ...

For me MOTO GUZZI basically is V11 and California, but not limited to these two bikes.

There are many beautiful Guzzi but the character of California and V11 is not achieved anywhere else, not even the beautiful Griso.

Losing a motorcycle treasure like this is certainly not given by talk of tours with other bikes but the lack of "desire" of those who love these models.

Lack of desire to live and tell the stories associated with them.

It is not my case, not yours, but frankly more participation would make it much easier this .........LOVE...... :rolleyes:

The poetry of a motorcycle so real is ending?

I think we are losing a lot of passion for this model, due to acquisitions and new models ...

For me MOTO GUZZI basically is V11 and California, but not limited to these two bikes.

There are many beautiful Guzzi but the character of California and V11 is not achieved anywhere else, not even the beautiful Griso.

Losing a motorcycle treasure like this is certainly not given by talk of tours with other bikes but the lack of "desire" of those who love these models.

Lack of desire to live and tell the stories associated with them.

It is not my case, not yours, but frankly more participation would make it much easier this .........LOVE...... :rolleyes:

dai che te l'appoggio Remo... :whistle:

The poetry of a motorcycle so real is ending?....

For now, for most people, the V11 is too old to be interesting as a "modern" bike, & too modern to be regarded as a "classic". It's design & engineering isn't pure or exclusive enough to qualify it as a "modern classic". It never did anything on track of great note (unless you count it's very presence there as a monument to something...)...or anywhere else for that matter. And Guzzi didn't sell so many, so there's not a lot of owners.

I guess in a few years the V11 may be regarded a little differently, imv - like the 180 Jotas were to Laverda - it'll be regarded as the last of the "hairy chested" Guzzis. After years on big block Tontis the V11 felt much smoother & more refined, but after riding a couple of Carc bikes it seems much closer to the old bikes in feel than to them. I'm not criticising the modern Guzzis at all, just talking about characteristics & feel.

Meanwhile, it'd be a shame if the disparate collection of interesting people on this site had nowhere to sit around talking s***! So thanks for keeping it running Jaap!

Remo, I have a Scura too, it's a great looking bike, I really like it & will keep it.

:thumbsup:

KB :sun:

It will be great if 2011 is the year when I can get my Scura repaired and back on the road

or, because I'm thinking of the track day experience this year, another possibility would be to fix the Scura to use for a track day instead of the Griso.

The poetry... of passion... beautiful... character

Well said and of course I agree and have written similar in many posts

but, for interest:

what do you think of this line, this viewpoint, that I quoted (from an enthusiast of older Triumphs) in the other recent thread on this subject?

"And although I love all this old iron regardless where it came from, it has no soul. It's iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc.

The soul, or the perceived soul resides within the people who love and appreciate them."