(Down through Down for) New Year New View

belfastguzzi

The poetry... of passion... beautiful... character

Well said and of course I agree and have written similar in many posts

but, for interest:

what do you think of this line, this viewpoint, that I quoted (from an enthusiast of older Triumphs) in the other recent thread on this subject?

"And although I love all this old iron regardless where it came from, it has no soul. It's iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc.

The soul, or the perceived soul resides within the people who love and appreciate them."

Well...in appreciating the shape, the curves, the material and more the sound and good (or bad) vibrations resides the soul....

A man is a designer, another a good mechanical, the third one is a painter and few men are assembling the bike like a single masterpiece in which people can feel the strenght and the glory, the soul coming out from every step.....

But, as I believe, some motorcycle has more soul in that you can find....simply standing still, watching, doing nothing.

This is the case of V11 and California, it's only my idea...

....is not the same thing to reach Nordkapp on a Vespa rather than a Norge, for the emotions that are different, the different times and the difference in the soul that the two express .... :thumbsup:

:stupid: Bellissimo

I wonder if you (we) perceive this soul, this emotion best

if you-we ride alone?

Of course we also have soul-mates and this is a reason that we enjoy our meeting together as Guzzi enthusiasts.

However: my experience, which leads to these recent posts, is that being a part of THE GUZZI CLUB (I mean as a generic thing, not any particular club) does not necessarily provide or foster/grow the whole, round appreciation and it can create the opposite condition: soul destroying, not soul nourishing.

When we become focused on our own fixed viewpoint and our own experience, the vision can become narrow, expectations are confined to what is already known

– and then the people who believe that Guzziness is EVERYTHING, come to present the experience as something that is exclusive and they actually diminish the experience and even repel others.

In other words: :homer:

sometimes it is 'a breath of fresh air' to ride with other (non-MG) bikes and bikers!

It 's the truth.

Certainly better than selling the Guzzi for another opportunity to get tired and feel overwhelmed by one and only one thing maybe called Honda or BMW....

I wish people would understand how difficult and too stupid is to change, permanent ceasing to love, when you come off just enough to, then, be able to return more in love than before.....

Love....to feel the soul...is similar to a motorcycle as to a person and I know what it means to be separated from one and the other....Just leave a little is better than forgetting and certainly does not have the same meaning.

..."And although I love all this old iron regardless where it came from, it has no soul. It's iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc.

The soul, or the perceived soul resides within the people who love and appreciate them."

..is not the same thing to reach Nordkapp on a Vespa rather than a Norge, for the emotions that are different, the different times and the difference in the soul that the two express ...

A person can only recognise in something/someone else that which they have within themselves.

That someone perceives "soul" in a Moto Guzzi or a Triumph is not just an appreciation of the "iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc." but more a sensing of the intentions, skill, aspirations, soul etc. of the people who designed & built the machine, their history, their place & the history of that place. These things are embedded in the machine. The machine is an embodiment of these virtues.

I believe a genuine enthusiast recognises the same in others whatever the subject of their enthusiasm. Those who deny others' enthusiasms, deny their own.

KB :sun:

.... a genuine enthusiast recognises.... the same in others whatever the subject of their enthusiasm. Those who deny others' enthusiasms, deny their own.

Everything has a soul inside...and really WE enthusiasts are the problem...not often we are able to find it...unfortunately... :rolleyes:

(I've forgotten how the Multiquote works) :huh2: ??

...better than selling the Guzzi for

...another opportunity to get tired and feel overwhelmed by one and only one thing maybe called Honda or BMW....

Indeed, well said: an alternative is not a guarantee of better. It is good to remember what the original emotion, spirit, experience, motivation was – as familiarity can make it dull.

Something as simple as an enthusiasts' forum or group can and should do that.

It should not suffocate the enthusiasm - or communicate it in a false, unrealistic way. Also, the company of others can make us appreciate what we already have and sometimes create a new positive perspective on what we have.

That someone perceives "soul" in a Moto Guzzi or a Triumph is not just an appreciation of the "iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc." but more a sensing of the intentions, skill, aspirations, soul etc. of the people who designed & built the machine, their history, their place & the history of that place. These things are embedded in the machine. The machine is an embodiment of these virtues.

Very well said.