Centauro wheels

Bogwopit

Hi all,

I've just purchased a '99 reg. Centauro Sport. 'cosmetically challenged' was how the vendor accurately described it.

The wheels desperately need refurbing and while considering this I thought it might suit the bike to have a set of wire wheels fitted. The first consideration is which ones will fit?

The second would be changing the 17" front for a more readily available 18" diameter wheel.

Can anyone offer pros and cons regarding handling, if this mod is carried out?

Thanks

Andy.

The second would be changing the 17" front for a more readily available 18" diameter wheel.

Where are you writing from, or what are you smoking? You're either back of the back of beyond, or have access to some world class ganja. 17" wheels are the world standard for sport bikes & have been for at least the past 15 years. If you're looking to set up the Centauro as a big traily, then yes, you might want to consider such a change [to 19", not 18" front wheel: even 90/10 street-to-dirt rubber typically only comes in 19" or 21" sizes...] :luigi:

The only reason I can see for wanting 18" wheels is so you can use cruiser tires targeting the H-D crowd. Not exactly a good reason, since you won't get prime rubber [that market isn't discerning enough to pay extra for it, and the manufacturers therefore waste no effort in that direction!] :oldgit:

Lots of luck, but I really would like to have you explain your thinking! ;)

But changing to 18" will make the Centauro even uglier than it is already! :rolleyes:

Hey - my Centauro resembles that remark - but I have a plan and it involves Ducati and V11 parts!

Andy - if you need any bodywork or front end parts send me a PM and I may have a great deal for you ...

Skeeve, he is looking for spoke wheels, and then you have lot's of Cali wheel to choose from. But changing to 18" will make the Centauro even uglier than it is already! :rolleyes:

Shame on you Jaap, calling the Centauro ugly.I see the the Swan within.

No, your right, it's seriously pig ugly, even for a Guzzi, but then thats whats so attractive about it.It was made when Guzzi were still interested in making individual, distinctive (o.k. strange and ugly)bikes.

Maybe I forgot the Griso...

And the Stelvio.........

Of course your right about the wheels.

I don't want to turn it into a cruiser Skeeve, but it's hardly an out and out sports bike...non of them are(MGS-01 exempted and possibly a few others in there day}I just want to personalize it and I like the look of the wire wheels on the Cali.-only available in 18". If it handles like my Cali. I'll be more than happy.I've other bikes to go fast on.

Thanks for the input,

Andy.

I just want to personalize it and I like the look of the wire wheels on the Cali.-only available in 18". If it handles like my Cali. I'll be more than happy.I've other bikes to go fast on.

You need to talk to Buchanan's. No need to stick w/ Cali rims: they can lace you pretty much anything you want once you give them the hubs.

Stay w/ sport [or sport-touring] rubber: that bike was designed around 17" wheels and futzing around w/ changing them to 18" is only going to lead to trouble... :oldgit:

You can turn it into a Daytona RS if you want. Body parts are at airtech-streamlining.com and you'll need a rear sub-frame from a Sport 1100i or Daytona. Oddly enough, I have one of those out in my shed. Heh, heh, heh. :rolleyes: Oops! I think my ulterior motive is showing through. The Centauro is just a Daytona RS in a monkey suit. A couple of guys in Germany managed to "clone" the bodywork off of an MGS-01 and fit that to a Centauro. I don't know if it became available as a kit though.

You can turn it into a Daytona RS if you want. Body parts are at airtech-streamlining.com and you'll need a rear sub-frame from a Sport 1100i or Daytona. Oddly enough, I have one of those out in my shed. Heh, heh, heh. :rolleyes: Oops! I think my ulterior motive is showing through. The Centauro is just a Daytona RS in a monkey suit. A couple of guys in Germany managed to "clone" the bodywork off of an MGS-01 and fit that to a Centauro. I don't know if it became available as a kit though.

Don't give me ideas - I already have an MGS-01 ....

.... and I have other ideas anyways!!

I just want to personalize it and I like the look of the wire wheels on the Cali.-only available in 18". If it handles like my Cali. I'll be more than happy.I've other bikes to go fast on.

You need to talk to Buchanan's. No need to stick w/ Cali rims: they can lace you pretty much anything you want once you give them the hubs.

Stay w/ sport [or sport-touring] rubber: that bike was designed around 17" wheels and futzing around w/ changing them to 18" is only going to lead to trouble... :oldgit:

I agree with him. Once you have spoke hubs that fit you can have whatever diameter and width rims you want laced to them.

I would stick with a 17x3.5" front.