Curious speedometer question

Paul in NM

I've been looking at several used V11's for purchase and one had what I've read here is a common speedo issue. It was replaced with an aftermarket unit (the original OE unit is not available). My question is, is going back to the stock one even practical or feasible (ie. part available at a price under $500 :lol: )?

TIA

photo.JPG

"My question is, is going back to the stock one even practical or feasible (ie. part available at a price under $500 )? "

No.

is your picture the replacement? If so, it looks good and if it works, then it works at least as good as OEM. Keep it.

"My question is, is going back to the stock one even practical or feasible (ie. part available at a price under $500 )? "

No.

is your picture the replacement? If so, it looks good and if it works, then it works at least as good as OEM. Keep it.

Yeah it was replaced with that one. I'd rather have the OEM one for looks, even with the known issues then the one that was installed. It's a touch hodge podge. Not a huge deal of course. :helmet:

That's a pretty nice looking clock! I'm on my third Veglia (earlier than yours) after 76,000 miles. I use my Garmin ZUMO as a back-up.

Is that unit cable driven or electronic?

I've been looking at several used V11's for purchase and one had what I've read here is a common speedo issue. It was replaced with an aftermarket unit (the original OE unit is not available). My question is, is going back to the stock one even practical or feasible (ie. part available at a price under $500 laugh.gif )?

TIA

photo.JPG

you can usually find one (V11) being parted out on the computer somewhere. I like the white face Veglias on pre 2004 bikes. I would contact a speedo service to find out the failure problem with these to see if they can maintain a reliable unit.

Yours looks great. I would look up the manufacturer and get a tach the same style. These bikes are made to personalize....... Do what you want to it.If we see you making it into a chopper, that is a different story.........

That's a pretty nice looking clock! I'm on my third Veglia (earlier than yours) after 76,000 miles. I use my Garmin ZUMO as a back-up.

Is that unit cable driven or electronic?

Not 100% sure. I'm looking at that bike (04 cafe sport, 10.5K miles, $6.5K) for purchase.

Ask the owner. If it is cable driven, it will of course have a speedo cable exiting the bottom of the unit. If it is electronic, it will have a pick-up and magnetic sender on the front or rear wheel.

You would have to have a signal generator mounting into the trans. where the speedo cable adapter WAS. Then you would have to calibrate it to the electronic speedometer. I don't know if anyone manufactures (signal generator) something like this.

There are companies that sell digital speedos that might have something that will work. There are digital speedos for bicycles but these are not really compatable with motorcycles. RFI or something from the electrical system.

hi ... can I put electronic speedo if I have veglia cable speedo ? ... I mean ... is possible to found something like transformer ... from mechanical to electric impulse ?

There are things like that, however, the problem will be finding one that fits our bikes. The one from KOSO that I tried did not fit. Someone else was perhaps of better luck.

I have an Acewell 4454 Tach Speedo combo and one of those adapters for My Daytona.

Bought it from the UK and had it shipped to the US faster and for less $$$ then if I could have found one in the US (which I could not, Renazco Racing said they had one but they sent a different model and then it was a pain to get my money back).