Pirelli new version of Diablo?

tmcafe

Sorry for another tire question: my Diablo Strada was replaced with an Angel. Now the front which is a Diablo (softer) also needs to be replaced. What's the new version?

In case the local shop can't order it, what would be a good substitute?

TIA

Sorry for another tire question: my Diablo Strada was replaced with an Angel. Now the front which is a Diablo (softer) also needs to be replaced. What's the new version?

In case the local shop can't order it, what would be a good substitute?

TIA

Angel front?

I'm going w/a set of Angels next week.

Angel front?

I'm going w/a set of Angels next week.

Angel is Pirelli's recommended tire for the V11. I was hoping to find a softer model for the front (Diablo Rosso Corsa and Diablo Rosso II both look too slick). I might go with Angel front but I like the idea of having more even wear between rear and front and replace them at the same time.

The UK website is better than the US which doesn't even show some of the new tires.

I'm on my second set of Diablo Stradas and will move to the Angels when needed. I got about 9000 miles from my first set of the D.S's, front and back mounted at the same time, same with this set. It looks like this set will go about the same distance, and I have NO "chicken strips" on the rear, a small one on the front. Rain or shine, good grip both front and back has never been an issue thus far with the matched set of tires, so I personally see no reason to mix 'em up. The only change I may make is to go back to a 180 series width. I had the 170 series rear tire mounted this time to see if it did quicken handling as many here have done on the later model rear wheel. Now it does feel a little quicker to drop in to the turn, but it also feels like the two tires track on a different line, with the rear swinging out a little further in the turns, and the tip of my boot is paying the price!

I'm on my second set of Diablo Stradas and will move to the Angels when needed. I got about 9000 miles from my first set of the D.S's, front and back mounted at the same time, same with this set. It looks like this set will go about the same distance, and I have NO "chicken strips" on the rear, a small one on the front. Rain or shine, good grip both front and back has never been an issue thus far with the matched set of tires, so I personally see no reason to mix 'em up. The only change I may make is to go back to a 180 series width. I had the 170 series rear tire mounted this time to see if it did quicken handling as many here have done on the later model rear wheel. Now it does feel a little quicker to drop in to the turn, but it also feels like the two tires track on a different line, with the rear swinging out a little further in the turns, and the tip of my boot is paying the price!

9000 is good. I couldn't get the Strada at the nearest dealer so I went for Angel which replaces it in the lineup. Supposedly an upgrade. I might as well get the Angel front and be done with it. Maybe the difference in wear between rear and front isn't as big as it used to be in the new tires.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that Strada is obsolete? Replaced with the Angel ST a couple of years ago?

I have the Angels and they're good tyres. I had two rear punctures when the tyre was fairly new, but that's just bad luck. :glare:

They'll never do anything close to 9,000 miles: though I doubt if the Stradas would have approached that here either. There's often a big disparity between the mileage reported in USA and the mileage that we get in Europe/UK/Ireland.

I can only attribute it to very different types of roads and riding conditions. There wouldn't be harder tyres made for USA, would there?

3,000 miles is about the top here for sports/touring tyres.

At the moment I've swopped the Angels for stickier BT-003s, but will go back to the Angels for the winter (if the Bridgestones last that long).

Both the US website and the catalogue they offered to send me seem to be behind (still listing the Strada, which as you say should be already gone). I'm going for an Angel front or maybe a Diablo Rosso.

Speaking of punctures, a few years ago Avon was offering a free tire replacement in case of puncture (in addition to the warranty).

I thought that Strada is obsolete? Replaced with the Angel ST a couple of years ago?

I have the Angels and they're good tyres. I had two rear punctures when the tyre was fairly new, but that's just bad luck. :glare:

They'll never do anything close to 9,000 miles: though I doubt if the Stradas would have approached that here either. There's often a big disparity between the mileage reported in USA and the mileage that we get in Europe/UK/Ireland.

I can only attribute it to very different types of roads and riding conditions. There wouldn't be harder tyres made for USA, would there?

3,000 miles is about the top here for sports/touring tyres.

At the moment I've swopped the Angels for stickier BT-003s, but will go back to the Angels for the winter (if the Bridgestones last that long).

My Angels and Diablo Stradas have been roughly equivalent, both in handling and mileage. I wonder if speeds, here in the USA, are somewhat higher than the continent and the UK. That's a hard measure to pin down.

And even with that, the roads here in the southeast US are coarse and temperatures are often high - something I've long called the 90-90 wear pattern: 90 degrees Fahrenheit/ 90 mph: 3500 mile tire life!:o

My Angels and Diablo Stradas have been roughly equivalent, both in handling and mileage. I wonder if speeds, here in the USA, are somewhat higher than the continent and the UK. That's a hard measure to pin down.

And even with that, the roads here in the southeast US are coarse and temperatures are often high - something I've long called the 90-90 wear pattern: 90 degrees Fahrenheit/ 90 mph: 3500 mile tire life!:o

I didn't think about the heat. Now if the tires are pumped up cold to max (42) they'll heat up less so they'd wear slower. Bumpy ride though. I do tend to keep my tires toward the max pressure.

I imagine that average speeds/overall speeds are higher and that riding speeds & conditions are more consistent. My big generalisation is that the roads here (locally) are much smaller: very short straight bits, lots of acceleration and deceleration, loads of corners... whereas photos of USA roads show, naturally, much bigger, longer roads, bigger corners etc.

The tyre pressure comment is interesting as I'd never have the tyres that high, so maybe it's a factor too.

The Griso came with Metzelers (M3) and they were completely done at 3,500 miles.

My (shed-bound) V11 has Metzeler Roadtecs (Z6) which I and others here liked. They are obsolete now too, though the replacement Roadtec Interact may still be on the go. It gets a good review here: review picked at random, see March 25, 2009 entry > http://byckers.blogspot.com/

That review talks about 32 lb front and rear. tmcafe's pressure is a full 10lbs more!

My Le Mans will be due for a rear tire by the end of next month. Unfortunately most of my miles are done on the expressway at 80-90mph for an hour at a time, so flat spots develop quickly. Are the Angels a dual compound tire? That would be nice for avoiding those flat spots. Also, how are they in cold/wet conditions?

Pirelli makes no mention of dual compound; only a high silica content.

I do like the Angels in the cold and wet. Really, they impress me as Diablo Strada with a gimicky tread pattern (the angels) that only lasts a few hundred miles.

Kind of reminds me of a girl I once dated. She was a real angel, but only for the first couple rides!

I'm thinkin of going to Pirelli for the next set of rubber. Pretty constant 11000-13000 kms on Bridgestone, Michelin and Metzeler but most riding is on a 2 lane twisty 120-140km/h. The quality of road is a factor but wear is more due to speed, ambient temperature, tyre pressure and the opportunity to keep moving the contact patch about the tyre. Good news is that all the major players are focusing on the sport touring tyre. Thats a bonus for any Guzzi unless you still have 18 inch rims. I run 36 psi up front and 42 rear minimum on a bike this heavy. :2c:

All girls are angels in the beginning. One day they may indeed make a tyre as tough as a girl.

Vincent-Girl.jpg

Stradas have been my favorite tire on the LeMans. Great grip both wet and dry. I just mounted a set of Angels on the Tuono today. Should be able to take the first ride with them tomorrow.