Can't get my rear wheel off

FifeV11

Hi,

This sounds really stupid I know.

I can't get my rear wheel off. The nut comes off the sprocket side fine.

On the drive side, the allen key goes in and will spin the axle in both directions, is this actually threaded?

The axle doesn't come out, I've tried using a mallet to persuade it but it doesn't feel like it moves at all.

Any advice gratefully received. I bought it just recently and the tyre is getting a bit scary now

Ta

Welcome to the forum. You should familiarize yourself with the search function...most everything about these bikes has been covered at some point in time, usually in far more detail than needed. As lifted from an earlier post...

"To remove the rear wheel once the bike's rear is in the air, remove the rear brake bracket anchor from the left side of the swing arm. Next remove the rear axle nut. Now slide the axle out about 1/2 way. This will allow you to slide the rear caliper bracket down and forward to remove the caliper and bracket assy. from the rear brake disc. You can just let the bracket and caliper hang or tie it up out of the way. Now slide the rear axle out about 2/3 of the length. You will have to hold the wheel up to keep it at 90 degrees to the ground. Slide the wheel to the left and it should clear the final drive and rear axle. The small spacer is about 1/2 inch. long and goes between the final drive and wheel. It will sometimes stick to the wheel or final drive. Just look for it so you know where the little devil goes."

As far as the axle goes, it's not threaded but I find that *light* tapping with a rubber mallet while turning it with the allen key helps to break it loose if it's being difficult. You're going to have to hold the wheel a bit to take some weight off the axle.

Will do, you guessed it, I am a forum newbie.

I'd better coz I think I'm going to need this forum a fair bit.

Thanks for replying so quickly. You pre-empted my depression :-)

Will do, you guessed it, I am a forum newbie.

I'd better coz I think I'm going to need this forum a fair bit.

Thanks for replying so quickly. You pre-empted my depression :-)

No worries. When you use the search function, make sure you select "Relevence" in the "result sorting" field...otherwise it doesn't narrow down far enough.

I've found that turning the axle (with a wrench) while pulling outwards works very well. Just grab the rachet, and bolt with your hand, and pull and turn.

I always clean and re-grease the axle every time I take it out.

My axle has a couple of tight spots as it comes out - the axle isn't a constant thickness along it's length. I start it by tapping with a soft hammer, then either drift or use a drawhammer on the axle head which works well. Grease axle on refitting & don't forget internal spacer drive side.

Also worth cleaning & greasing bearing in outside of drivebox (behind swingarm).

Welcome to the forum.

KB :sun:

Welcome to the world of V11. Another in fife, I may see you around.

If you dont have them already here are some links to manuals:

owners manual

workshop manual

workshop manual update

parts manual

Hey,

Thanks everyone, got it off now, I just needed to use more force than I dared previously.

Now I have the wheel off it looks like I'll be spraying the swingarm with a bit of hammerite.

Thanks for the links HaydnR, I'm West of Dunfermline, hope to see you around. And there was me telling myself I was the only one in Scotland!

Hi FifeV11

Far from being the only V11 in Scotland there are a fair few about. I'm sure Haydn will introduce you to the Scottish branch of the Moto Guzzi Club GB.

V11lemans.com forum has had meetings in the past in Spean Bridge, Aultguish (better not talk about that one!) and Ken Bridge over the last few years.

Glad you got your wheel sorted, and as Keith mentions its worth greasing the axle so it somes out easier next time.

Regards

Guy

Find a brass or aluminum drift, shaft, pin or something of similar diameter and start driving it out from the threaded side. I use a dry film graphite spray and degrease the bolt and spray on the shaft (bolt) upon reassembly.