2000 v11 recall

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Guest Jeff in Ohio

:homer:

hold on to your gym shorts guys! Looks like some of y'all are lookin at lots o' work this winter. Gee, when are the dealers going to have time to do this while replacing bubbly cases....

:luigi:

Recall Date : November 24, 2003

TYPE : VEHICLE

BUILD DATES : October 1, 1999 - April 30, 2001

MAKE : MOTO GUZZI

MODEL : V11 SPORT

Make : MOTO GUZZI Model : V11 SPORT Year : 2000

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V486000 Recall Date : NOV 24, 2003

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 680

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE GEARBOX SHIFT SLEEVES FOR ENGAGEMENT OF 3RD TO 6TH GEARS CAN FRACTURE UNEXPECTEDLY WHILE THE MOTORCYCLE IS IN USE.

Consequence:

SHOULD SUCH A FRACTURE OCCUR, THE MOTORCYCLE’S REAR WHEEL CAN SUDDENLY STOP TURNING OR “LOCK,” RESULTING IN A LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE MOTORCYCLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR DEATH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW, IMPROVED SHIFT RINGS AND A REDESIGNED CUSH-DRIVE ASSEMBLY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MOTO GUZZI AT 1-877-APRILIA (1-877-277-4542).

Notes:

MOTO GUZZI RECALL NO. 101EBS. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V487000 Recall Date : NOV 24, 2003

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 64

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, UNDER EXTENDED RUNNING SPEEDS NEAR THE ENGINE’S REVOLUTION LIMIT, THE ENGINE’S CONNECTING ROD BOLTS CAN FAIL.

Consequence:

SHOULD SUCH A FAILURE OCCUR, THE MOTORCYCLE’S ENGINE CAN SUDDENLY STOP TURNING OR “LOCK,” REQUIRING THE OPERATOR TO DISENGAGE THE CLUTCH IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE MOTORCYCLE. IF THE CLUTCH IS NOT DISENGAGED, THE OPERATOR CAN LOSE OF CONTROL OF THE MOTORCYCLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR DEATH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW, REDESIGNED CONNECTING RODS AND BOLTS. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MOTO GUZZI AT 1-877-APRILIA (1-877-277-4542).

Notes:

MOTO GUZZI RECALL NO. 101EAS. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V486000  Recall Date : NOV 24, 2003

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 680

Automatic transmission??

Only 680 affected? They must have build more then that between Oct '99 and Apr '00.

And why model year 2000 only? Does not make sense. My bike is MY2001 but was made Sept. 5th , 2000.

There's a bloke posted on Guzzi Club GB site saying he's had recall notice on 02 bike for conrod bolts/gbox stuff...It may be an 01 bike bought in 02 it wasn't clear. Not replied to my email. First I've heard of here - Anyone else UK had one?

KB, Cymru :sun:

Automatic transmission??

Only 680 affected? They must have build more then that between Oct '99 and Apr '00.

And why model year 2000 only? Does not make sense. My bike is MY2001 but was made Sept. 5th , 2000.

The Automatic Transmission parts beats me but the rest of it sounds like a normal recall. If we can assume this is a real recall, it would not be that unusual for Moto Guzzi to get a bad batch of parts. The problem that happened to Cycle World's 2000 V11 Sport's gearbox was attributed to badly heat treated parts. Luigi may have been fighting with his wife (and/ or mistress :rasta: ) for a few days and been too distracted to properly heat-treat some of the parts. Once they kissed and made up he went back to work so only a few bikes are effected. The joys of hand made (pre-Aprilia) Moto Guzzi motorcycles. :mg:

Still happy to have my 2001,

Lex

But Lex, read the first post again. Your bike (and mine) were model 2001 maybe but still built before April 01 and therefore affected by the recall.

But also the other part of the recall info specifies model 2000 only.

So finally it is hard to tell what do they mean.

"Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION " is just a category used by NHTSA that includes manual transmissions.

I hope this does not put anyone out of business.

Atleast it does not effect thousands of bikes.

I think MG built something like 6000 bikes or less in 1999-2000. 680 would probably represent the entire production of V11 Sports in that case. I recall that the highest number of Sport 1100's produced in one year was about 1400 and that was on a model already in production, not ramping up as the V11 Sport was. For that matter, I doubt that MG has sold more than a couple of thousand V11 Sports/LeMans/variants in the USA since the introduction of the V11 Sport based series.

I'm the guy Baldini refers to regarding UK recall of V11 for my 2002 V11 Sport

which lists possible problems concerning - "connecting rods", "gear internal

spring drive", and "double moveable hose". I'm sure my bike is a 2002 model.

16500 miles so far with no trouble.

Frame number is ZGUKS00001M111147.

I'm going to contact Guzzi UK Customer Services for advice.

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Mike

Your frame no comes into the batch Paul detailed in a previous thread as being subject to recall. It may be an 01 bike. I think that the ...01...in the frame number may refer to 2001. Mine is ...02... in the sequence, it's an02 bike I think as Scuras only made in 02?

What...NO problems?!! :blink:

Cheers, KB, Cymru :sun:

Guest Randy Turk

Just spoke with my dealer Moto International in Seattle. They took my VIN# and will let me know tomorrow as far as the recall goes. I think if something is going to happen it usually happens in the first 90 days of ownership. I'm not going to stop riding my bike, but will have it taken care of ASAP!

I also have a Pontiac Grand Prix 1997 w/ 201,300 miles on it. It has had 3 recalls, one for transmission, one for the wiper motor and a third for a steering gear. Haven't had any of them done, yet.......I guess I'm lucky, but seems to me if that stuff was going to fail it would have done it by now!

Guest captain nemo

Well, I have the '00 and I'll call in when I get the time to check my number out there. It would be a great thing to do over the winter and spring here. It doesn't scare me though. I have over 13k miles on it and no problems. Seems like a stress issue would have shown it's ugly face by now with all the abuse I heap on the Guzz. I've put the bike away 'till after Christmas because I had a new custom seat made, and I'm not gonna look at it until Christmas morning. Fun. But I HAVE A NEW PROJECT IN MIND! (see thread on removing instruments). <_<

Your frame no comes into the batch Paul detailed in a previous thread as being subject to recall. It may be an 01 bike. I think that the ...01...in the frame number may refer to 2001. Mine is ...02... in the sequence, it's an02 bike I think as Scuras only made in 02?

What...NO problems?!! :blink:

Cheers, KB, Cymru :sun:

As far as I know Scuras are 2002 bikes and my number is ZGUKS00002... like yours: so the 02 could be for 2002 and the 01 for 2001 as you say.

As far as I know Scuras are 2002 bikes and my number is ZGUKS00002...

Interesting to compare the VIN numbers. My 2002 Le Mans VIN number is ZGUKRAKRX2....... which is a lot different from the numbers mentioned so far. Anyone know what each alphanumeric represents?