2000 v11 recall

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Hello All,

How interesting. I bought one of the first 850 Eldorados sold here in the states way back when. I only had it a few months when it was recalled to replace the then all new five speed gear box with an updated version. I had not had any trouble with the bike at all. Now all these years later I buy one of the bikes with the all new six speed gear box and the same thing happens. I have 11k on my 01 V11S with no problems. I just checked with my dealer and I am involved in the recall. On the steering head the month and year of the manufacture of your bike is stamped. My "01" was actually built in 6-2000 as stamped on the VN plate.

All in all I am really glad to see Guzzi taking care of this issue. I know many like me have not had any trouble but I am going to get it taken care of for sure. They are not going to this much trouble for the fun of it. I have had my bike for two years now and really enjoy it. Getting the work done will be a pain but as much as I like my Sport its worth the trouble to me. The dealer said to wait until I recieve my offical notice from Guzzi and then contact him to set up a repair date. He as yet does not have the parts on hand for the job. In the mean time he did not feel that I needed to stop riding the bike. Here in Nebraska ridiing is on a vey once and a while basis anyway and if the repairs are done before next April any true impact on my riding time will be nill.

RR

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baldini,

I have no idea why the sleeve shattered - my dealer is not very reliable and I'll be glad when the warranty is expired so I don't have to use them. I don't think the selector forks had anything to do with it, but as I was fairly shifting at the time a bad clutchless gearchange may have contributed - I am prone to do that sometimes....though I don't really remember...

The Nurburgring is a very scary place but a complete hoot! For those who don't know the Nurburgring is a public one-way toll road "racetrack" over 14 miles miles long and with over 170 corners - most of which are blind or just after "jumps" on the road! However, the road surface seems to be entirely rubberized due to the amount of vehicles laying it down so if you know what is coming up you can rely on some impressive lean angles. After two hairy laps last year I gave my remaining lap vouchers to my accomplaces who took over an hour to complete the lap due to another bike bouncing off the armco at 130mph and then into the side of my friend's bike - nobody killed, but very messy... I'm studying the videos now so I'll know the track better next year.

(er, KB, I've thunk and thunk, but . . ."CYMRU" ? ? )

Celtic Young Men Ride Undressed

alledgedly

• 1 year later...

:!: well, it just happened to me. i was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and all the sudden the engin revs up and my rear wheel locks up. :homer: pulling in the clutch did not work. after i came to a hault. i played with the clutch and gears in the middle of the street, until about 10 min later. nothing would lock. i could then push my bike weather the clutch was in or out. now the fun part. i have to find a way to get my bike from palm springs ca to san deigo ca .

:!:  well, it just happened to me.  i was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and all the sudden the engin revs up and my rear wheel locks up.  :homer:  pulling in the clutch did not work. after i came to a hault. i played with the clutch and gears in the middle of the street, until about 10 min later. nothing would lock. i could then push my bike weather the clutch was in or out. now the fun part.  i have to find a way to get my bike from palm springs ca to san deigo ca .

49087[/snapback]

I thought only the 2000 and 2001 V11 Sports were under the recall :huh2: .

Mike

(er, KB, I've thunk and thunk, but . . ."CYMRU" ? ? )

14502[/snapback]

He's writing from Wales. Cymru.

I can't make head nor tails of it, but I'll tell you this much: some of the most beautiful human speech I've ever overheard was that of an elderly couple conversing in what I later learned was Welsh, after I asked them what language they were speaking. It was like listening to a couple of people singing lullabies at each other. Truly beautiful.

I imagine karaoke bars go broke in Wales, since everybody is singing at each other all the time, & don't need to get drunk first to have a go!

:thumbsup:

:bike:

I thought only the 2000 and 2001 V11 Sports were under the recall  :huh2:

Mike

49095[/snapback]

V11Sports manufactured October 1999 to April 2001

VIN range ZGUKRAKR8YM111929 TO ZGUKRAKR11M114435

• 1 month later...
Guest Andrew

Well, as a result of my sliding sleeve disintegrating I find myself cruising the web to see if I am alone. Very nice to find I am not, although with the response of the dealer I had purchased my 2001 V11 Le Mans from you would swear that no one even knew about this recall in Australia.

Luckily none of the fragments of sleeve went into the gears and instead sat happily on the magnetised drain plug. I just had trouble changing and rattling noises until I pulled it apart.

Sadly it appears that my frame number is OUTSIDE the recall range, and although I had done less than 20,000km when the part failed, the importers don't see that the two things could be connected in any way.

Has anyone else found the sliding sleeve fracturing on a bike outside the recall range? Were you able to get your dealer/importer to fix the problem?

Has anyone in Australia had this problem? (I think we're about to get our third importer in about 4 years with the purchase of Aprilia by Piaggio, so I have my doubts whether I can get far).

Cheers.

Andrew

:luigi: