My clutch hand is knackered

GraeV11

Probably too complicated, but maybe you could link the brakes, using the existing pedal for braking and the right brake lever for the clutch?

Good idea but I think the position of the front brake is probably too ingrained in my brain after all these years. I think there would be a danger of grabbing a handful of 'clutch' trying to scrub off speed before a corner and ending up in a hedge :grin:

Thanks for the thought.

No braking with the clutch. His idea was more like installing something like the old Guzzi Integral Brake system I think. It's quasi standard on newer bikes again. You only brake with the foot pedal which goes on one front disk and to the rear one. The clutch stays on the left and the brake lever then is for emergency only.

Hubert

No braking with the clutch. His idea was more like installing something like the old Guzzi Integral Brake system I think. It's quasi standard on newer bikes again. You only brake with the foot pedal which goes on one front disk and to the rear one. The clutch stays on the left and the brake lever then is for emergency only.

Hubert

crossed wires. I think the proposal was to move the clutch to the right hand bar. Leaving the cluch on the left wont work for me.

Cheers

G

...Leaving the cluch on the left wont work for me.

Oh, I overlooked that. Thought the brake was the problem.

Nonetheless, I have to pull in the clutch only when the bike stands still, for puting in the first. As soon as the bike moves a little 'airing' of the clutch is all it needs for shifting. You can't do even such small and easy movements now?

The Aprilia Mana then might be the right thing. A friend had one while his stupid dealer was trying to sort out the recall isues on his Stevio. He really liked it - despite he already knew his new Stelvio then.

Hubert

Probably too complicated, but maybe you could link the brakes, using the existing pedal for braking and the right brake lever for the clutch?

Good idea but I think the position of the front brake is probably too ingrained in my brain after all these years. I think there would be a danger of grabbing a handful of 'clutch' trying to scrub off speed before a corner and ending up in a hedge :grin:

Thanks for the thought.

True, though if you are already used to using the rear brake pedal at least you would be grabbing the brakes as well. Still it would be a bit strange. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Thanks for the thought.

graev11, i know what you mean about the controls being ingrained. i used to have a '74 850 commando(left foot brake, right foot shift,1 up, 3 down) and when riding it after one of my other bikes, i would have a couple of "interesting" moments while trying to brake with the shifter or shift with the brake.

i guess if a fellow were to have only one M/C, you could get used to different controls.

i read years ago that the vincent factory would put controls on either side, as these bikes were a favorite of returning british fighter pilots, and these pilots were sometimes burned badly, or worse.

or you could get a guzzi with an automatic, and then you wouldn't have to carry a spare shift pawl spring. :-)

good luck, stef

Just to give you a bit of an inside line on the Aprilia Mana.

I own two. They are a superb lightweight tourer.

I am a long time 'Auto' nutter, which is odd because I hate automatic cars and don't own one but love Auto bikes.

There is one major failing with the Mana. It has shit suspension. So bad that after my Oz bike tried to kill me two weekends ago I'm upgrading to a Hyperpro shock and Tuono forks and brakes on my Oz bike and will be doing the same with my US bikewhen time and money allows.

The Mana has a great engine but it isn't as 'Organic' as a V11, in fact it can be almost anodyne if you leave it in 'Touring' mode which is where mine spends most of its time. Using the 'False Manual' mode with either the 'Gear Lever' or the 'Flappy Paddles' can be fun but needs adapting to. Because I don't have a hnd/wrist problem and have a Griso I've yet to truly master the 'Manual' mode but if you log into the AF-1 board you'll find a host of people who have had to go to a Mana because of various 'Physical' or 'Health' issues. Because the Mana also appeals to scooteristi there are a fine selection o nongs on the board but there is a hard core of real enthusiasts. Yiu have to dig but the pearls are there. Paul Solk is one. he has basically RSV'd his Mana because he had to and it has everything up to full CF bodywork and Yella forks and shock!!!!

When my 8V Griso in the USA was written off in Seattle I had a choice. An RSV-4 or a Mana GT-ABS. Now I LOVE the RSV-4 but boy am I glad I opted for the GT :grin: . I was able to do 700 mile days on the GT in almost perfect comfort. On an RSV-4 I would probably have come home in an air ambulance simply from the riding position!!! Never mind the gaol time for speeding! The thing is a monocycle, you can only ride it on one wheel!

The GT, apart from 'Monkey Butt' which you'll get on any bike doing long distances in 40*C + heat it is THE BEST AND MOST COMFORTABLE BIKE I've ever toured on.

Both of mine have been faultlessly reliable despite being probably the second most compex electronically governed bike in the world, (After the SV-4/Tuono-APRC).

As mentioned the ONLY issue is the suspension, which is a classic case of 'Spoiling the Ship for a H'apport of Tar' but remember that the Mana is essentially aimed at a market of scooter riders who are used to soething that handles like a well sprung fridge! My upgrades, Tuono forks and brakes, (off fleabay) and a Hyperpro shock cost me less than $2,000. A suitable master cylinder will make the mods that will give me mega brakes, (The stock Mana ones are better than the ones on my Griso!) and will push the cost to probably $2,100 but yes, I will be rebuilding and oiling the forks before install them and they *Might* need re-springing, but I doubt it given the comparative weight of the bikes and the use to which I put the Mana, (Mainly touring, often 2-up with lots of luggage.)

I can't emphasise enough how much fun a Mana is. The GT even looks qie nice compared to the 'Standard' and despite my swearing I'd never own a bike with ABS I found it quite uaefull when doing stupid stuff like coming down the '(Unsealed!) Mokey Dugway in Utah.

Take a Mana, especially a GT, for a flog. Remember it has shit suspension and will probably have been set up by a retard, Expect to spend a comparatively small amount of money on suspension upgrades, (I have other alternatives besides the full 'Tuono Showa transplant.) and then consider a swap. No, it's not a V11, or even a Guzzi, but it really is a great and greatly under appreciated 'Motorbike'. People who can't recognise that are not worth wasting time on.

Pete