Short notes (NYT) on a big subject of interest

An often discussed theme: can we revisit it?

See NYT article by American poet FREDERICK SEIDEL>

Is the Era of the Motorcycle Over?

Thoughts?

ARE motorcycles passé? Are they sort of over? I ask as a rider of two-wheel Italian beauties that go very fast, gracefully streamlined subsonic technology from the Ducati factory in Bologna. I own two sport bikes and two racers. I ride racing motorcycles on the street. One of my motorcycles is capable of nearly 200 miles an hour. I write prose about motorcycles. I write poems about motorcycles.

So I ask with some authority. Are motorcycles — even superb and lovely Italian motorcycles from the land of Donatello and Bertolucci — being replaced as love objects, as arm candy, by other more contemporary show-off desirables?

06DUCATI-articleLarge.jpg

...So I ask with some authority. Are motorcycles — even superb and lovely Italian motorcycles from the land of Donatello and Bertolucci — being replaced as love objects, as arm candy, by other more contemporary show-off desirables?

Just more garbage to feed the media monster.

I've ridden motorcycles 40 years & I'll keep on til I can't. Whatever up-their-own-arse fashion prats choose for "arm candy" is their business. If they don't ride motorcycles, I don't care. Pillocks.

KB :sun:

They are buying a slice of what Apple does — and how it does it — and how it looks doing it. They are buying function but, just as important, they are buying glamour. The device enhances the buyer’s sense of self. It helps the person think and at the same time not think. Once, not so long ago, motorcycles did the same thing.

Most of them are lucky that they can afford these I-things just so. How can he expect them to buy motorcycles, in quantities he does even? 4 Ducs!! Today's kids having real money actually quite often go for motorcycles. The whole Café Racer hype, Ace Reunion, Mean Fuckers, things like that. Who knows, some of them might become bikers after they're through with posing and self celebration.

Just more garbage to feed the media monster.

Though I wouldn't put it as strongly as that, it is indeed a somewhat daft and blinkered view from a wealthy ol' boy in that strange country of Amerikay, but it's an interesting slant to tilt the brain cells on for a moment.

Aside from a little blip in the availability of finance, I don't see any candy lovers giving up their desires. The trouble with the true poseurs is that they will always have to be moving on to something new.

Perhaps it is good that Moto Guzzi has never become a real Boutique Brand. Although, I probably should get a flashy new jacket and a fresh hair-look.

In the long run, the ethos of what is motorcycling springs ever eternal for those with it deep in the veins. Fashionable, or no, we will ride, rub, wrench, and refit. :mg: (them four Rs)