Ohlins v Standard Suspension

ScottM

Hi Gents,

I've been lurking here a while. I'm a born-again-biker coming back to the fold. I've been without a bike for 13 years.

I'm interested in getting a V11.

I was wondering how much of a difference there is between the Ohlins v standard suspended bikes.

Any input is appreciated with respect to ride, value, etc.

As a point of reference I'm 54 and going to use the bike for weekends and some commuting.

Luckily my commute can be arranged to be on the Mulholland Hwy. :)

Cheers,

Scott

Hello,

The Ohlins suspension are quite better than the zokes. Some of it is because of their adjustability (rebound and compression damping, spring preload), their valving works very well and the ride is much more compliant. I have had both V11's with the zokes and Ohlins. The problem was alway trying to get the zokes to work as well as the Ohlins, After much money spent on the stock zokes, I never found the fix, the only way is to change out the zokes with Ohlins.

I believe it would be cheaper to buy a bike already with the Ohlins suspension, adding it later will cost you at least $2000. dollars for used parts and that is if you can find them.

Mike

Hi Gents,

I've been lurking here a while. I'm a born-again-biker coming back to the fold. I've been without a bike for 13 years.

I'm interested in getting a V11.

I was wondering how much of a difference there is between the Ohlins v standard suspended bikes.

Any input is appreciated with respect to ride, value, etc.

As a point of reference I'm 54 and going to use the bike for weekends and some commuting.

Luckily my commute can be arranged to be on the Mulholland Hwy. :)

Cheers,

Scott

Well, if all you are going to do is commute, I'd think that the stock suspension would be more than fine. I've read that the Ohlins are more maintenance intensive if you are putting big mileage on them. dunno.

That said, I have a Scura and a Rosso Corsa. :grin: I didn't really give any more money for them than a nice non Ohlins equipped V11, but... you have to be patient for the right one to turn up.

I see that there's a well equipped LeMans for sale in SoCal on this board as we speak.

I am a big fan of Ohlins equipped bikes, V11 or otherwise.

Whether you will push it hard enough to feel the difference I don't know.

You may or may not appreciate how well they work (they do work well).

But do you need Ohlins on your V11 for it to handle well or be a enjoyable ride? No, in fact the wife's V11 has the older Zook's in front (modified to actually provide dampening) and a Penske out back (money well spent).

You can send the stock forks out to have them improved and the rear shock has many options for an upgrade. You can even switch to a GSXR front end with a lighter wheel and better brakes.

The Ohlins suspension can be a bit higher in maintenance, they use low stiction seals that are not as durable. In the end it comes down to whether you find a bike at the right price and whether it has Ohlins or not. I would pay extra for the Ohlins but not more then a grand or so. But that is my own limit. While it would cost you atleast 2 grand to upgrade a V11 to Ohlins you could make the suspension as good or better then that (including better brakes) for about $1600.

Chuck: Yes I wanted to look at that bike, hence my question.

GuzziMoto: What would you do to upgrade Zooks and brakes?

As I mentioned my commute will be Mulholland from Westlake Village to Calabasas, which is very twisty and bumpy in some places.

My Moto Guzzi dealer told me if I was going to buy a V11, make sure I got one of the Ohlins equipped models, especially the LeMans, due to the fairing being good at what they do. He definately felt they were worth the upfront cost, and also that I would simply love that sort of bike. Most of my riding is commuting, with some fun stuff when I can.

As an aside, I hope that one day, I can just hand him a wad of money and tell him to buy whatever he thinks I would like, and just surprise me. Been with him almost 20 years, and yes, I would trust him implicitely with regards to me, and motorcycles.

I found my bike over the internet, so I'd never even ridden a V11, much less "a nice one". It blew my mind how different the suspension felt compared to all my previous bikes. On other bikes, you would feel like you were slowing down, no different than always. But, on the Ohlins, it felt like I was being pulled straight down by a invisible magnet located directly UNDER the bike, more like being sucked down as opposed to the weight moving forward as you applied the binders. But my Nero was also 27 years newer than any bike, truck or car I'd owned up to that point, so I may be biased by simple advances in technology too. :huh2: I also was blown away at how damn good the Brembo brakes are, can you tell That I just LOVE this bike?

As to some folks saying they are higher in needs of maintanence, I found that my seals seemed to be as short lived as others did. Enter my bike guy. He has his connections, and my stantions and sliders were sent to his suspension guru, For very little money, he fixed mine so that I have'nt had those issues since. Some work, some part fixing, and some blame/critical analysis...Suspension Guy said they would have been fine for most riders, but I was in part to blame for the premature seals leaking, the cause being I accellerate quickly, and brake hard, alot. He knew this without knowing me. Said the heavy wear on the slider coating both fore and aft was a dead giveaway. Then said he was glad to see someone "riding them like they should be!" Yeah, I think Ohlins are definately worth the $$$...Good luck with your search, whatever you buy, Later, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:

GuzziMoto: What would you do to upgrade Zooks and brakes?...

Stock brakes work great. IME they are well up to the performance of the bike in any average use.

I have Ohlins on Scura - :thumbsup: what everybody said already - they're lovely. With range of adjustment suspension can be set up totally wrong - worth time setting it up to suit you. Scuras came with springs (F&R)too light for average-wt rider, & IMO too harsh high-speed compression damping in shock. My understanding is that the 03 Ohlins bikes were much better set up from factory.

There's loads of info on upgrading & setting up Marzocchis here - look thru "How to" section. From what I've seen & heard, I believe they can be got to work pretty good.

Savage Henry - I'd be interested to kinow what the guru did to your forks to increase seal life...or did he just use different seals?

KB :sun:

Savage Henry - I'd be interested to kinow what the guru did to your forks to increase seal life...or did he just use different seals?

KB :sun:

Replaced mine with GSXR seals for a longer life. Hope they don't wear through that gold finish too quickly. Felt as if the forks were less compliant but my guru (mate) said it was likely to be the fresh fork oil. Even with a click off comp and rebound they don't 'feel' quite so silky. Could be the mind plays silly tricks of course :cheese:

Chuck: Yes I wanted to look at that bike, hence my question.

GuzziMoto: What would you do to upgrade Zooks and brakes?

As I mentioned my commute will be Mulholland from Westlake Village to Calabasas, which is very twisty and bumpy in some places.

The wife's V11 is an early red frame version. It's forks are likely different then later versions. I closed off some of the open port that allows oil to freely flow during most of the forks travel. As built the valving was only in the last part of travel, more like an adjustable bump stop. Closing off the free flow of oil forced oil through the valve stack. It now has dampening.

My Daytona (same basic frame, even worse front forks) I upgraded the entire front end. I bought a used GSXR 1000 front end, forks, wheel, and calipers, cheap. I sent the forks to PPS in NC (out west Lindemann Engineering is a good substitute) and had him custom build them. All totaled was under a grand. I got perfect suspension action, better braking (yes BETTER, more power AND better control and feel) and the lighter front wheel improves handling. The forks are slightly shorter the stock. This steepens the rake much like all those people who say drop the front forks a little to improve handling. But, unlike that approach, the GSXR triple clamps also have less offset which adds back in the trail that steepening the rake takes away.

I have another set of GSXR forks that I will likely use to do the same to the wifes V11, but since the valving change it works pretty well. And that takes away the hurry, I'll get to it someday.

I emailed Lindemann Engineering. Here is the reply:

Jim told me the Marzocchi were not worth messing with. Ohlins is easy to work with. What is a V11?

Ed Sorbo, new owner

Lindemann Engineering

ed@le-suspension.com

408 371-6151

> From:

> ScottMellor

> scottmellor@ppomsinc.net

>

> Message:

> Hello,

> I was referred to you from the V11 forum. I am considering a V11 that

> has the Marzocchi shocks. I am told the Ohlins suspension is far

> superior. Is there anything that can be done to the stock suspension

> to make it as good?

>

> Thanks,

> Scott

Funny!

I had Lindemann do my Marzocchi forks years ago and....

The first month I had the revalved/resprung LE forks on my 2000 V11 Sport, I met a guy with a 02 Lemans, we talked and we both happened to have our forks revalved by LE. I asked him how he like the revalve/spring job and his reply was something didn't feel right. Yes, the same feeling I had, but we just couldn't put a finger on why the forks didn't feel right. He said he was going to take his forks back to be redone and aggreed to take my back with his. I did but still didn't like the feel of the LE experence. Save your money or perhaps try another company to revalve your Marzocchi's.

I ended up putting Ohlins on the front end and Penski on the rear.

Mike

I emailed Lindemann Engineering. Here is the reply:

Jim told me the Marzocchi were not worth messing with. Ohlins is easy to work with. What is a V11?

Ed Sorbo, new owner

Lindemann Engineering

ed@le-suspension.com

408 371-6151

> From:

> ScottMellor

> scottmellor@ppomsinc.net

>

> Message:

> Hello,

> I was referred to you from the V11 forum. I am considering a V11 that

> has the Marzocchi shocks. I am told the Ohlins suspension is far

> superior. Is there anything that can be done to the stock suspension

> to make it as good?

>

> Thanks,

> Scott

What is a V11?

YEs that little gem pretty much disqualified LE for me.

I ended up putting Ohlins on the front end and Penski on the rear.

I think I'm leaning towards finding an Ohlin's equipped bike.

Chuck, Are either of your bikes surplus to your requirements....::)

:not::) The Scura (x Roper hot rod) lives in SoCal at the grand kids house, and is the reason I fell in love with V11s to start with. Wished I had it in Indiana where I spend most of my time. Then thought, "If I would get rid of the Norge, which I don't like as well, I could get a LeMans and have the best of both worlds." Started watching for a Nero or Rosso, and Rosie is the first one that was feasible to get. :wub: