Fuel Injector Dribble?

Dimples

I have noticed that a small drop of fuel collects under both throttle bodies (lower tip of butterfly shaft) after shutting off the motor. No leaks or problems otherwise while running. It appears to be just one droplet on each. That's it-- when I wipe it away, it's dry until the next time. Is this anything that needs to be addressed? My friend's V11 Sport seems to have the same situation. He didn't notice anything until I pointed it out. His bike runs fine too. Is this a common occurrence?

I complained about this when my Sport was under warranty. To the dealer's credit, he suggested I not turn the ignition on/off or start the bike briefly (like we we do to listen to its lovely note).

GuzziNA replaced my entire throttle body/injector assembly under warranty. The frame had to be burst (crabbed).

As it turns out, if you cycle the ignition, or run the motor only briefly - the throttle bodies are more likely to weep, seep, tear, blink, or drip.

Yeah, they do that.

If it gets really bad, there is an elaborate fix. Search, and then, once more, under "relevance."

I got a nasty fuel leak where fuel lines connects to the injector on the right engine 2002 LeMans. As it turns out I just have to tighten the clamps that connect the fuel hose to the injectors. It started as a dribble and become a leak as weeks role on and the bike only got 5k miles when I bought it few month ago.

I've notice a lot of little things thats just bad quality control at the assemble line from the factory that should not of happen in the first place. Just check all connections and tighten bolt as I got frame bolt that falls off the bike and exhaust header bolt that is hand tight among many things. I bought a Guzzi knowing its not a bike for someone who just want to ride but if you got patience and basic mechanical skills, you'll be fine.

When I joined the forum, I come across two lines that catch my attention, one is when reading the subject on national ralley one member wrote "Where do we get to break down this year?" and another member's singnature "Moto Guzzi, making riders out of mechanics since 1921" if you're still okay with it, welcome :rolleyes:

I have noticed that a small drop of fuel collects under both throttle bodies (lower tip of butterfly shaft) after shutting off the motor. No leaks or problems otherwise while running. It appears to be just one droplet on each. That's it-- when I wipe it away, it's dry until the next time. Is this anything that needs to be addressed? My friend's V11 Sport seems to have the same situation. He didn't notice anything until I pointed it out. His bike runs fine too. Is this a common occurrence?

If you are through riding for the yr. Send your injectors to www.lindertech.com and have them checked and reconditioned if needed. These guys are the best in the business.

As it turns out, if you cycle the ignition, or run the motor only briefly - the throttle bodies are more likely to weep, seep, tear, blink, or drip.

Thats because every time you cycle the ignition switch on with the kill switch in the run position the fuel pump runs and the ECU fires a shot of fuel into the inlet manifolds.Its a pre charge to help starting.

Ciao

The drop of fuel collects after riding when the motor is shut off. It's not always me firing the bike up and then shutting it down right away (it does it then too). It seems like the fuel line pressure is draining through the injectors after the bike is switched off. Which made me wonder if I had a problem.

The drop of fuel collects after riding when the motor is shut off. It's not always me firing the bike up and then shutting it down right away (it does it then too). It seems like the fuel line pressure is draining through the injectors after the bike is switched off. Which made me wonder if I had a problem.

Mine will do it from time to time as well. When I get home from riding, I will usually close the fuel petcock with the engine running, rev it once and hit the kill switch. That seems to minimize the drip. k

the fuel dripping from the injectors is indicative of a problem.

The fuel injection system will hold pressure in the fuel lines after the bike is turned off. This injection system does not inject fuel when the ignition key is turned on, only when the engine is cranked. What it seems like is happening is when you key up the bike, the fuel pump builds pressure in the fuel system (normal operation) but then your injectors are leaking down through the nozzle tips. Are both sides doing this or just one side? The way to really check it is to pull either the throttle body loose so you can see the injector tip or perhaps pull the injector with the hoses and conector still hooked up, then turn the ign. key to the on position so the fuel pump builds pressure and watch the injector tip. If fuel dribbles from the tip, your injector needs help. I'm not sure there is enough room to do this on the bike as I have not had any problems with my bikes leaking fuel but it is worth a try.

Hmm, I wonder if any injector cleaner added to the fuel would help?

Mike

The fuel injection system will hold pressure in the fuel lines after the bike is turned off. This injection system does not inject fuel when the ignition key is turned on, only when the engine is cranked. What it seems like is happening is when you key up the bike, the fuel pump builds pressure in the fuel system (normal operation) but then your injectors are leaking down through the nozzle tips. Are both sides doing this or just one side? The way to really check it is to pull either the throttle body loose so you can see the injector tip or perhaps pull the injector with the hoses and conector still hooked up, then turn the ign. key to the on position so the fuel pump builds pressure and watch the injector tip. If fuel dribbles from the tip, your injector needs help. I'm not sure there is enough room to do this on the bike as I have not had any problems with my bikes leaking fuel but it is worth a try.

Hmm, I wonder if any injector cleaner added to the fuel would help?

Mike

There is no OTC product to rectify this problem........

... the fuel dripping from the injectors is indicative of a problem.

If they really dribble then you need new, at least different/overhauled ones. Last winter I checked mine because of one exhaust port being white, the other one sooty, and I found that one delivered 170ccm/min, the other one only 140ccm if I remember correctly. At least the difference was in this range. Later, after 'endless' cleaning, I searched after specs for them and the lower number was the right one, the bigger value just a result of a worn nozzle.

Testing them is quite easy: pull them, bridge the fuel pump (at the relais socket), apply 12V to the injector and let it spray for a minute (or 30 sec only) into a suitable pot.

Despite the fact that one was worn and needed replacing they did not at all dribble by the way. If it is only because of this one drop hanging at the bottom side of the ducts I wouldn't worry. Also it is totally normal that from time to time after some fruitless attempts of starting a cold engine the fuel might really pour out of them. The ecu is flooding a cold engine very much like you did it on 50s/60s bikes (20ms/cycle compared to 12ms at WOT/8000).

Hubert

Hi Dimples,

Mine did that from when it was brand new, so it wasn't injector wear. Only on the RHS, after every run especially in colder weather. The dealer replaced that fuel injector, which made no difference. It has not got any worse in 7 years / 60,000 km. I read on this forum at the time, about others who had replaced injectors and whole throttle bodies. It never seemed to fix the problem. I would just forget about it unless it gets worse. Just wipe it off after each run so it doesn't stain the throttle bodies or drip down over other parts.

Cheers,

Jim.