2002 Lemans fuel filter

dp.guzzi

OK, let's start with basics. I bought the bike, a 2002 Guzzi Lemans new in 2006. I don't think anybody ever modified anything, at least not with my knowledge.

SO first, just check my (limited) understanding: The fuel goes out of the tank on the left side at the rear of the tank. The fuel line goes to the front of the bike, the fuel pump located between the two horns. Am I right so far? Then the fuel goes back to the filter, located under the tank, partly visible from the left side. Am I correct?

Well, anyway, the guy who does my maintenance tells me that where he orders parts from keeps sending him the wrong gas filter. The filter they send him is shorter and has a smaller diameter than the one he says is in the bike. The one they send him is a BMW filter, and he tells me that it is the same filter for BMW and Ducatti.

He showed me the one they sent. It has equal diameter inlet and outlet ends. He tells me that the proper one has a greater diameter inlet than outlet.

Do any of you know what the right filter is, where to get it, and what the source of all the confusion is?

The last two times he worked on the bike it was the same story, so he didn't change the filter. Now it is in for a 24K mile service and I would really like to have a new fuel filter.

Thanks.

If you live in the US, contact MotoInternational,Harper's or Joe Eish to get the correct one. When you call them have a description of your filter. Diameter, overall body length, inlet/outlet dia.,etc.....

I use one from WIX (33310) for the Isuzu Trooper. It has the same flow and filtration as the Weber. It is slightly shorter, so I fitted a longer line from the pump (maybe an extra 2-3 cm/ one inch).

I use one from WIX (33310) for the Isuzu Trooper. It has the same flow and filtration as the Weber. It is slightly shorter, so I fitted a longer line from the pump (maybe an extra 2-3 cm/ one inch).

Thank you. I had already called Harpers before posting here. I will speak to my mechanic tomorrow and pass on your information.

The one in the bike is a Weber - i could see that with a flashlight.

I have some other questions:

1. how often do you change the fuel filter?

2. What motor oil do you use?

3. I'm planning on keeping this bike for pretty much forever. Somebody told me that the clutch is only good for about 30k miles. Is this true?

Thanks again

You can cange it when you feel it is necessary.... every other year or so. It is not that expensive.

I use Mobil synthetic engine oil in both my Guzzis.

The clutch will last as long as you want.

Thank you. I had already called Harpers before posting here. I will speak to my mechanic tomorrow and pass on your information.

The one in the bike is a Weber - i could see that with a flashlight.

I have some other questions:

1. how often do you change the fuel filter?

2. What motor oil do you use?

3. I'm planning on keeping this bike for pretty much forever. Somebody told me that the clutch is only good for about 30k miles. Is this true?

Thanks again

The fuel filter is quite large, and seldom requires replacement. How often do you change the fuel filter in your car? :whistle:

You're opening a can of worms asking about motor oil. :oldgit: The important thing is to use an SG rated oil, preferably synthetic. I believe Guzzi spec is 5-40, but I have a case of Redline 10-60, and I'm going to use it up.

I think the advice about the clutch refers to the single plate clutch that was used on the Tenni, Scura, and Rosso. Somebody correct me, but I *think* that the LeMans used the dual plate clutch.

With the engine running and trans. in neutral , pull in the clutch lever. If it sounds like something is broke and about to come apart , you have a twin disc plate clutch.

With the engine running and trans. in neutral , pull in the clutch lever. If it sounds like something is broke and about to come apart , you have a twin disc plate clutch.

Thanks all. I just got the bike back. He put in the BMW/Ducati filter. Indeed, it is shorter and required a longer fuel line. Now all is well.

As to the oil, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I have been using Mobil 1 15/50. I hope it is ok, but to tell the truth, I kind of figure that all of my bikes will last longer than I will, so I don't worry about it.

As to the clutch: based on the racket it makes when the clutch lever is pulled in, it is definitely twin plate.