2004 V11 Le Mans NO START!

Dazguzzi

Hi,

just want to pick everyones brains please.

I bought a 2004 Le Mans last week and the bike has always strated first time .

2 days ago i washed the bike off, leathered it down and put it away in the garage.

Went to start it today and i get the normal fuel pump whir BUT with the bike in neutral, sidestand up and clutch pulled in, when i press the starter button NOTHING happens. No click clunk nothing.The kill switch is operating smoothly and is in the start position

On my Cali EV i had the infamous click no start so ordered a full set of relays from Pyro dan and that bike has been bomb proof since.

Thinking it could be the relays, i took all of them out of the Le mans and replaced them with the ones borrowed from the Cali. All fuses have been checked and are intact.

Still no change, exactly the same.

I have pushed the plunger in and out on the sidestand switch and am now wondering if the neutral switch could be faulty ( the light works correctly ).

I only used a hose not a pressure wash and even then it was on spray so i wouldnt have thought i could have damaged anything BUT it seems an awfully big coincidence that this has happened after washing the bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Darryl

Hi,

just want to pick everyones brains please.

I bought a 2004 Le Mans last week and the bike has always strated first time .

2 days ago i washed the bike off, leathered it down and put it away in the garage.

Went to start it today and i get the normal fuel pump whir BUT with the bike in neutral, sidestand up and clutch pulled in, when i press the starter button NOTHING happens. No click clunk nothing.The kill switch is operating smoothly and is in the start position

On my Cali EV i had the infamous click no start so ordered a full set of relays from Pyro dan and that bike has been bomb proof since.

Thinking it could be the relays, i took all of them out of the Le mans and replaced them with the ones borrowed from the Cali. All fuses have been checked and are intact.

Still no change, exactly the same.

I have pushed the plunger in and out on the sidestand switch and am now wondering if the neutral switch could be faulty ( the light works correctly ).

I only used a hose not a pressure wash and even then it was on spray so i wouldnt have thought i could have damaged anything BUT it seems an awfully big coincidence that this has happened after washing the bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Darryl

You're looking in the right places. Kill switch, sidestand switch, the forward relay. Does the 04 still use the bullet connectors under the tank on the left front side? Kiwi Roy posted a pdf called Test points, IIRC. Do a search..

Edit, duh.. my reply went to the ozone somewhere..

daz try move the bars side to side whilst pressing the starter

Jesus Christ mate, i am severely hetrosexual but if i could give you a kiss right now i would.

After reading your rely i went back to the garage and tried pressing starter again and NOTHING. Then immediately tried technique that you said and INSTANT BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Rossi my friend where do i look next to make sure i rectify the problem? Why did that work and where is the problem

BIG THANKS DAZ

There are bullet connectors (in the wiring) that are around or under the tank that are loose. When you move the steering head you disturbed them and made a connection with them. Find them, unplug and tighten them by crimping the female connector and replug them.

There are bullet connectors (in the wiring) that are around or under the tank that are loose. When you move the steering head you disturbed them and made a connection with them. Find them, unplug and tighten them by crimping the female connector and replug them.

SORTED!!!!

I removed the tank and then the little plastic cover in front of it which bolts onto the headstock.

I then taped the clutch lever into the " Pulled in" position and attempted to start the bike. Same result , ie depending on where the handlebars were pointing it would either turn over or not.

I then put the bars into a NON START position and began wiggling the various multiblock connectors on both sides of the central frame tube. RESULT!

The multiblock which is on the left ( viewed as if riding ) under said black cover by headstock was where the problem lay as moving it would immediately activate the starter. I pulled it apart, checked all leads on female/male for integrity and the used contact cleaner on them.

I then rerouted them so as to take all of the tension out of the block when the bars were moved, reassembled them and tied the block in place with cable ties and sealed both outer ends with vaseline.

Hopefully that should be it. This particular block cuts all power to starter system when pulled apart so is obviously the culprit.

Bike all back together again now and a happy chappy.

Thanks Darryl