Lake Como Fog

belfastguzzi

When riding my new bike home I was disappointed that the rev counter face misted up quite badly. I thought some of that atmospheric Italian mist had ben trapped in it. I recently took the tacho out and thoroughly dried it. Meantime I noticed a passing comment somewhere here about misting rev counters being one of the Guzzi quirks.

I put the instrument back on and went out this afternoon. Sure enough, the clock glass misted up as before.

Is this a common 'feature'? Does anyone know why it happens? Has anyone cured it? The speedometer doesn't mist up. I wonder would a ventilation hole or two in the clock body do the trick?

It's too common. Aim a heat lamp at it over night and drive the moisture out (not too close!). Don't use a hair dryer or something really hot. When you think it's really dried out, wrap a dry towel around it while it cools and hope the towel traps any moisture that might make its way in. Honestly, I don't know which way the moisture gets into these things, but it does and it's irritating. Maybe the faceplate isn't as tight to the gasket as it could be and a tad bit of clear rtv rubbed into the bezel periphery might stop the moisture intrusion.

I had my tacho replaced under warranty, new one is better but still exhibits some fogging.

I remember a thread from Jaap who drilled a hole somewhere to alleviate the fogging, but couldn't understand exactly where the hole should be. From what I remember it was in the plastic, but the tacho's are metal (with glass front). :huh2:

Perhaps Jaap will reply, hopefully with photos?

I think the "drilled hole" was in the back and bottom of the plastic housing that holds the instrument.

Al is right. I believe it doesn't matter that much where exactly you drill the f.i. 5 mm hole(s), as long it is only in the plastic housing, not in the tach body! (Pictures are a bit difficult on a V11LM, I'd have to take the fairing off...)

Al is right. I believe it doesn't matter that much where exactly you drill the f.i. 5 mm hole(s), as long it is only in the plastic housing, not in the tach body!

Hmm.. I was assuming that the hole(s) would have to be in the metal tach body in order to allow an exchange of air. I must take out the speedo and see if it is more 'holey' than the tacho.

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

Mine only fogs after washing or riding in the rain. Maybe I shouldn't wash my bike anymore or ride it in the rain? :sun:

Hmm.. I was assuming that the hole(s) would have to be in the metal tach body in order to allow an exchange of air

I believe (but haven't tried) that the fogging will disappear if the pilot light is removed from the tacho (i.e. creating an exchange hole).

Personally, I cannot comprehend why drilling the plastic would affect the fogging unless it provides ventilation to the tacho as a whole, and therefore helps the equilibrium of temperatures? :huh2:

Guest guest_Gio

My V11S had a slight fogging issue so my dealer drilled a couple of holes in back of the plastic housing a couple of years ago. No more fogging (and I ride in the rain...)

Gio

Mine still fogs up but not nearly as much as when it was new. Now it only happens once in a blue moon. It doesn't bother me & I find it sort of endearing. It adds a touch to the quirkiness theme for me :grin:

... heh heh, as luck would have it, my tach fogged up for the first time in AGES last night. But then again, it was 39 degrees, and quite humid outside. It started to clear after about 20 minutes of riding though.

Go figure :P I'm not worried about it though.