starter delay

rossi46

Hi, recently I'ved noticed that there seems to be a delay between pressing the starter button and it turning over. It seems to happen more when the bike is left overnight-its only like a second and I don't wiggle the bars to get it running. Starts easily, runs great and doesn't happen(seem to) when the bike is warm. Any ideas? would something like this be helpful?

My link

thanks

This could indicate that the voltage is getting lower than before. Perhaps the battery is getting past its use buy date.

My Breva 750 did this. I was considering a new starter solenoid at the time but I then changed to Lithium and the problem disappeared. Lithium gives me an extra volt on what the lead acid did.

thanks cliff, I will check the battery however after a run if I connect a charger it always goes to green, ie fully charged real quick- I suppose it might be not be holding a charge after afew days? what should the battery register? I have multimeter(no idea how to use it!!!!) :unsure:

thanks cliff, I will check the battery however after a run if I connect a charger it always goes to green, ie fully charged real quick- I suppose it might be not be holding a charge after afew days? what should the battery register? I have multimeter(no idea how to use it!!!!) :unsure:

My 03 V11 is still running the original battery. It is not the liveliest to spin over when cold, but no delay. However my XPA 750 can sometimes delays or even needs a heel punt on the starter solinoid. The battery is new on that and could turn the house over, so I am pretty sure it is the starter solinoid.

If you engine spins over at a good rate, I'd be looking a your starter solinoid.

Try pulling the starter and removing the solenoid ,clean all the gunk on it off,probably clutch plate dust, and then give er a try.That cleaned up my slow starting,still have the original Spark 500 in her.

Before you invest in a new battery .Worth an hour or two,less if you've pulled the starter before. :thumbsup:

Try pulling the starter and removing the solenoid ,clean all the gunk on it off,probably clutch plate dust, and then give er a try.That cleaned up my slow starting,still have the original Spark 500 in her.

Before you invest in a new battery .Worth an hour or two,less if you've pulled the starter before. :thumbsup:

This.

It could also be Voltage drop in the start circuit, do you hear the solenoid engage before or after the delay? The starter solenoid would like to draw about 50 Amps so just the slightest resistance will reduce its

effect considerably e.g. 0.1 Ohm in the circuit will drop the power to half. Check for the start circuit fuse getting warm.

Once the starter is engaged the solenoid current drops to

Valeo and Bosch are similar.

Bosch Starter.pdf

Valeo Starter.pdf

Perhaps it's just cold oil gumming up the solenoid as mznyc suggests.

HI, OK did it again today then blew the starter fuse, wife wasn't too pleased about a 5 am drive to work!! so home now replaced the fuse-press starter a few times, could hear clicking under the seat(relay) then it turns over, as mznyc suggests I have pulled the starter, some dust where it engages the flywheel, looks ok any tips on removing the solenoid before I break it or is it a job for the experts? thanks

I dont remember it being that hard to disassemble.I think it was just a couple torx head screws.Maybe someone else could confirm.Once I got it apart just cleaned it up with brake cleaner an little silicone spray and reassembled and problems went away.

My first guess is the solenoid contacts are bad or you have a bad connection in the cable from Battery+ to solenoid.

It could also be the solenoid is not able to engage the starter gear for some mechanical reason holding the contacts apart.

Of course it's a little difficult to diagnose a problem from afar. How many seconds did it take to blow the fuse?

Please remove and clean both the main battery terminals to at least remove that possibility.

sorry roy it was early but couldn't have been more than 2 seconds before the fuse blew, battery terminals clean and tight. Stein dinse don't list the solenoid separately however I have found this My link

scroll down the solenoid is listed and in stock a £15 got to be worth a go :unsure:

sorry long day still can't get the linky thing to work!It did work nice