Pawl Arm Spring Resolution.

Cabernet

OK, I m quite new to ths forum. I have had my V11 since 2004. I have had the spring go last summer and replaced it myself without assistance or manual and purely on the strength of a conversation in Spean Bridge circa 2005 (thank you Chris Jessop) when a fellow V11 rider had his go on route. I hope I have given an impression of someone with a bit of a clue without blowing my own trumpet, too much.

My question is this. Has anyone tried anything different? Not a spring from a different supplied and in a different material that basically fits in the same place doing the same thing. Has anyone tried a completely different approach? If so, could someone point me the right direction regardless if it worked or not. I have an idea, but would like to see if has been tried before, before I blow some money on the selector plate assembly.

Thanks for reading.

I believe MG brought out an modified arm which the spring hooks onto with a smaller diameter boss, so the spring is less strained.

My Rosso Corsa had one fail, which was at about 4000 miles and was fine afterwards. Helen has had two go in the last 22000 miles- always carry a spare in the toolkit.

I believe MG brought out an modified arm which the spring hooks onto with a smaller diameter boss, so the spring is less strained.

My Rosso Corsa had one fail, which was at about 4000 miles and was fine afterwards. Helen has had two go in the last 22000 miles- always carry a spare in the toolkit.

Is that spare the modified arm or the modified spring or both?! And, what partnumbers are they, because i also want a spare with me for my V11.

Better have one with you and don't need it than need one and don't have one with you.

I had 1st fail at 18K miles and just had 2nd fail at 40K miles

As you own a 2001 you should have none. Funny.

Hubert

Indeed, this is largely a 2002 problem. Yet, the later '01 and earlier '03 may be afflicted as well.

Maybe a poll of failures by year?

I just carry a spring.

Part numbers in the FAQ section

Cheers

Guy

It was so obvious.... :whistle: I read the repair thread a couple of times just to know what to do and the partnumbers are already mentioned there.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to order both the spring and pawl-arm just in case.

Regards,

Mjingen

My 2003 Rosso Corsa has got nearly 50' km on the meter, and has -so far- had no problems with the pawl spring. I took it out for inspection before i took off to the 90th Jubilee in Mandello last autumn, just for inspection.

But one very hot day on the same trip the gear shifter was completely stuck, and my first thought was the pawl spring. The reason was, however, that the heat had melted away all the grease on the axis of the change lever. Being dry, it didn't return from lifted position as it has to to engage a new gear. Luckily my bike has a grease fitting on the lever, and after having filled this with grease, the shifting functioned like never before. Just a tip...

• 1 month later...

I also suggest carrying some spare circlips that hold the gear selector drum gear thingys on their shafts. They have a tendency to fly at least 20 feet away in to the grass when replacing the spring out in the field.

:angry:

:sun:

I also suggest carrying some spare circlips that hold the gear selector drum gear thingys on their shafts. They have a tendency to fly at least 20 feet away in to the grass when replacing the spring out in the field.

:angry:

:sun:

Good tip. :thumbsup: More spares to carry. :bbblll: