oil

luther61

If u use the search function you will find countless pages of discussions/arguments on oil.

Some will dazzle you with science/BS or there own preference.

I use a good brand hypoid80w/90w ( it could be 130w/90w) whatever the manual recommends and add some liquid moly.

It works, is in tune with manufacturers recommendations and doesn't cost the earth.

I know of several high mileage guzzi's that use this (185,000k and 245,000)without a prob.

Depends on u and If you like to throw money away or consider it well spent

If u use the search function you will find countless pages of discussions/arguments on oil.

Some will dazzle you with science/BS or there own preference.

I use a good brand hypoid80w/90w ( it could be 130w/90w) whatever the manual recommends and add some liquid moly.

It works, is in tune with manufacturers recommendations and doesn't cost the earth.

I know of several high mileage guzzi's that use this (185,000k and 245,000)without a prob.

Depends on u and If you like to throw money away or consider it well spent

thanks for that,just wondered if it would be better as i get it for no cost

I have read/heard that you do NOT want to add moly to synthetic tranny oil.

It has a tendency to form clumps.

:2c:

I use Red Line Shockproof heavy (synthetic) in the tranny (no moly) - many users have reported better performance with this stuff and 80/90 (conventional) in the final drive (MG brand which has moly already added) ...

Gio

I use the Redline shockproof (heavy) no moly in both...but you have to very careful with the measure and fill on the rear differential to keep from overfilling (leading to "adventures with oil"). k

I use the Redline shockproof (heavy) no moly in both...but you have to very careful with the measure and fill on the rear differential to keep from overfilling (leading to "adventures with oil"). k

Same here, definitely think i notice a difference in change and quietness.

Darryl

Some members have experienced unrepairable oil leaks w/Redline so consider this when you decide..............

Interesting, can you expand please and why did any oil leak become unrepairable? Surely a new seal is a new seal if something leaks.

It's not me, I use another brand of fluid..... Docc (I think) & others have had problems w/the Redline fluid.....

Ok, it's just that i have used it in G/Box and bevel box on my last 2 Cali's covering some large mileages and never had a negative experience with it yet.

Got to speak as you find i suppose.

Cheers Darryl

I have heard about synthetic possibly damaging the plastic retainers on the transmission input and output shaft in early 90s Guzzis.That said, I just filled the Scura transmission and and rear drive with Redline.

I tried the redline in my trans and rear drive. The trans worked just fine with the redline in it but it would leak through the seals of my rear drive. I replaced the seals and refilled with redline and the same thing happened again.

Then I drained the redline and filled it with plain old gear oil and the leaking just stopped. I havent had a problem with it since.

I remember another forum member with the same exact problem and he tried simply switching to a more conventional oil and the leaking stopped.

The good news is you can try redline and it might not leak at all for you. If it does leak just swap it out for the cheaper stuff.