Rear Tire Choice-1996 Sport

Orange Guzzi

Need to change out my rear Metzler tire. What are some of the current brand choices out there? Looking for milage over traction. The current tire is wearing in the middle from my riding style. Hard starts and stops.

I've been getting >9K miles from Michelin Pilot Roads...haven't paid attention to what iteration they are on with that tire now, but I am about due for new ones as well.

I have Pilot Road 2's on three of our Guzzi's. The harder center compound helps keep that flat spotting in the middle to a minimum.

They have been replaced with the PR 3's I believe. I am sure they are a great tire as well but you may be able to find PR 2's still available at a discount.

But in the end tires are almost as bad a subject as oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Orange,

Pretty much all the sport-touring tires are available in the 160/60-18 rear size that the Carb Sports require.

Pirelli Angel

Metzeller ME880

Metzeller Z 6/8

Michelin Pilot Road/II/III

Bridgeston BT-021/23

I would think the ME880 would be the mileage champ here, but the PR2 and PR3 get great reviews.

I'm running the out of production Pirelli Diablo Strada on my Sport 1100. It's been a good tire.

• 2 weeks later...

In the V11 Workshop book it says:

FRONT

120/70 - ZR 17"

BRIDGESTONE BT020

BRIDGESTONE BT57

REAR

170/60 -ZR 17"

BRIDGESTONE BT020

BRIDGESTONE BT57

The Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring is currently on sale on motorcycle-superstore.com. I'm planing on buying them there as I also need new tires.

Not sure what the tire sizes required for a '96 sport are but if rocker59 says it is a 160/60-18 I would think he is right. A V11 uses different rims and likely different tires.

Just for your own knowledge though, V11's came with two different width rear rims. The earlier bikes have a 4.5" rim and even though they came with a 170 from the factory that width rim is better suited to a 160 and many people switch to a 160 when the 170 wears out. Feel free to research the recommended rim widths for 170's vs 160's next time you need a tire.

Yes. The Sport 1100 1994-1996, used an 18-inch rear. The factory equipment was the Michelin TX15/25 combo. 120/70-17 front and a 160/60-18 shoe-horned onto the narrow rim.

At the time, the 150 and 160 width 18-inch rears were pretty standard on sporty bikes. In the mid-'90s, though, the 17x5 rear became pretty standard with 170/60 and 180/55 sizes being fitted.

The '99-'01 V11 Sports have a 4.5 inch rim and came with a 170, but as we all know, the 160 usually works better on that rim. In '02, the LeMans came with a 5-inch rim and a 180/55-17 rear tire. Again, per usual Guzzi practice, they shoe-horned a one-size-too-big tire on the 5-inch rim. The 170/60-17 rear usually works better on these bikes.

Anyway, the Sport 1100s need the 160/60-18. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of choices for that size out there. Eight or ten sport-touring tires and a couple of sport tires. It's really not that big a deal to keep rubber on bikes with the 18-inch rear wheel, and I'm constantly amazed at the threads on different forums complaining about the the tire size.

If you want sporty, the Bridgestone BT-016 is more tire than most street riders will use.

For sport-touring, every big player has a couple choices in the size.

I've never had a problem finding an appropriate 160/60-18 for my 1996 Sport 1100. Right now it's got a set of the (now discontinued) Pirelli Diablo Strada. They've been great.

:race:

• 3 weeks later...

To balance the above... I didn't like BT020, lack of feedback, grip & uneven wear. It's obselete now anyhow isn't it?

180 is MG recommended fitment for 2002 V11S rear, which has 5.5" rim not 5". Tyre manufacturer's recommend either 170 or 180.

It's not all down to size. All else being equal 170 gives quicker steering & more linear turn in, but tyres have different profiles & construction, eg I use Mich 2CT's in 180 (170 not available)& they steer pretty quick & even, as good or better than some 170.

KB

• 2 months later...

I have had good performance from Continental Conti-Force 120/70/17 front and Conti-Force 160/60/18 rear.

On my third set now. Rear life is about 5200 miles. Front life is about 8000. Very smooth, good grip dry or wet, and a resonable price. I am a sport rider, just blazing around twisting roads for fun. Running 35 PSI front and 41 rear.

• 1 month later...

I just got a set of pilot road 3's for my '95 model

They feel great compared to the squared off set that were on the bike. I will report back after a few hundred km's to give a better review. For the price, I think they will be the best choice. The other 2 choices we have here in oz is the bridgestone bt023 and the pirelli angel st's. This is mainly because my model has the 18in rear rim

I have had good performance from Continental Conti-Force 120/70/17 front and Conti-Force 160/60/18 rear.

On my third set now. Rear life is about 5200 miles. Front life is about 8000. Very smooth, good grip dry or wet, and a resonable price. I am a sport rider, just blazing around twisting roads for fun. Running 35 PSI front and 41 rear.

Need to change out my rear Metzler tire. What are some of the current brand choices out there? Looking for milage over traction. The current tire is wearing in the middle from my riding style. Hard starts and stops.

and not much lean in corners to complete the story :race: